Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Let's talk dual exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I first put on a Pypes single catback muffler (forget the name of it.....I threw it in a dumpster) and my car sounded like most cars do that just strap on a "BEEHIVE" muffler for more flow........

After i got my FRPP Duals installed, I noticed increased low end torque, good sound tone, and Great looks from the back of the car.

I had the "stealership" installed it for $250.00.....because if they install Ford parts on my FORD car, the warranty covers it!

I'm COMPLETELY happy with the looks, the sound, and my low-end torque gains.
(never Dyno tested)
Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't make the car any faster in the qtr mile and if you don't have the GT emblems to make it look like a GT, it is still a V6 by appearance. IMO. I would take that money and invest towards a second Plasma 50 inch. IMO. Maybe look at putting a charger on it with single exhaust and almost have a GT w/o GT price trade in? I just laugh when I see a 6 cyl with dual exhaust which I think have only seen 2 in our town in 3 years. Dual exhaust on a 6 cyl........lol. I guess makes for conversation?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by teetertotter
It doesn't make the car any faster in the qtr mile and if you don't have the GT emblems to make it look like a GT, it is still a V6 by appearance. IMO. I would take that money and invest towards a second Plasma 50 inch. IMO. Maybe look at putting a charger on it with single exhaust and almost have a GT w/o GT price trade in? I just laugh when I see a 6 cyl with dual exhaust which I think have only seen 2 in our town in 3 years. Dual exhaust on a 6 cyl........lol. I guess makes for conversation?
Let see.
V6.
3 cyls per side.
2 cyl heads.
Two headers.
INTO A FRICKEN Y PIPE, FORD?
It just seems natural to send
each side out to to the back.
Now the dual 'kits' that just take
the Yed exhaust and split it with another
Y pipe is a true conversation piece.
I dont see the biggy with duals on a V6.
Now a straight six with duals is just not normal.

My V6 Challenger has the muffler midmounted
and it forms as the 'Y' Pipe and exits into a single
2.5" rearward going pipe to a axle back resonator.
if you pull the resonator, the odd firing V6 sounds
V8ish with no cash outlay. This is a situation for a 2.5"
QTP electric cut-out.

I wondered why the PYPES cat-back for S197s aboud on eBay.
"It sounds great, but I finally got duals. My loss is your gain...."

Last edited by 157dB; 07-02-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Mattwood440

Tried the Dynomax kit and loved the sound but was a little disappointed in the fit and finish, but I wonder if the fault was mine since I installed it (I'm planning on posting more on that later). Next I tried a Pypes x-pipe and mid pipes with MAC mufflers that resonated way too much on the inside. Those immediately came off and on went FRPP GTA mufflers with the Pypes pipes. VERY nice sound, no resonance whatsoever. I think I fooled just about everyone with the GT rear bumper and pony package (I had at least 6 people try and race me). And I ran a 15.2 1/4 with my auto equipped and otherwise stock car on my one and only run, so I don't think it hurt performance.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

I was looking into this Mac kit from StangMods http://www.stangmods.com/MAC-Cat-Bac...170-tk2625.htm

Would this be an epic fail because its a Y to a Y???
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
09Stang
1st Gear Member

I just had dual Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers with a custom x-pipe installed for $400 yesterday. I like the sound. It sounds so deep at cruising speed. I feel alot of pull in the mid and higher RPMs. I think it might be the x-pipe that is giving me that extra power.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 AM
VistaPony6

i got my dual exhaust done with two simple mufflers and creating the y pipe. The sound really is amazing and i get compliments alll the time. It cost roughly around $475 installed. Not bad! anyways, hope this helps and goodluck with your duals.
-Arie
Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by teetertotter
So you laugh when you see any Mustang with dual exhaust? And you would run a single factory muffler and a supercharger?

tsk tsk
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I found a good deal on a borla duel kit w/ Xpipe for roughly 1/2 price. The kit sells for $1600-$2400 depending on where you look. I found it on Jegs for $769. I know a few people that use only borla on their cars and after finding that deal I bought it. I know it is a little pricey, but I have never heard a bad setup. (If anyone is interested, they still have it at that price.) The fit is amazing, basically goes right on. The kit is tuned for performance with very similar bends to the factory pipes. The sound is great, nice deep mellow rumble at idle. The pipe/mufflers really talk when you get on it, but quiet with normal driving. I have given it a fair trial over the week that I have had it on. I have found no droning at any speed/rpm range. The mufflers come with 4" tips that really look nice with the upgraded gt bumper. I am extreamly happy with it and would recomend it to anyone willing to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on an exhaust system.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
demas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
I found a good deal on a borla duel kit w/ Xpipe for roughly 1/2 price. The kit sells for $1600-$2400 depending on where you look. I found it on Jegs for $769. I know a few people that use only borla on their cars and after finding that deal I bought it. I know it is a little pricey, but I have never heard a bad setup. (If anyone is interested, they still have it at that price.) The fit is amazing, basically goes right on. The kit is tuned for performance with very similar bends to the factory pipes. The sound is great, nice deep mellow rumble at idle. The pipe/mufflers really talk when you get on it, but quiet with normal driving. I have given it a fair trial over the week that I have had it on. I have found no droning at any speed/rpm range. The mufflers come with 4" tips that really look nice with the upgraded gt bumper. I am extreamly happy with it and would recomend it to anyone willing to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on an exhaust system.
i got this set from NINOSPORT:
http://www.ninosport.com/Borla-Dual-...category=21984

but i couldnt find the exact set @ jegs, r u sure u got it right? do u have link for it maybe?
btw - ninosport have PERFECT service! i cant be more satisfied with them!

Quick Reply: Let's talk dual exhaust...