Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:11 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

My brake lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM
johnnyv

Default My brake lights don't work

Hello all,

This is my first post, so I apologize if I didn't post in the right place.
I have a 2006 Mustang. The problem I'm having is that my passenger side brake lights don't come on when I step on the brake; however, they do light up when my headlights are on. Passenger side blinkers don't work either. I checked the fuses inside the car and they are all good. Any ideas?

Thank you
Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I haven't even checked my bulbs since I got them but I think they are dual wattage/filament bulbs. one of your filaments (oddly in both bulbs) may have burned out. get some new bulbs and try that.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Wet SmartJunctionBox syndrom.
Search 'water leak' in the S197 section of the forum and thats your answer.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 AM
SixN2

Are both the front and rear passenger side turn signals not working? Does the turn signal lamp in your dash operate rapidly when you turn the passenger side on, does it come on steady, or does it not light at all?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
johnnyv

Thanks guys.

I checked this thread https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...t-problem.html

I thought it had something to do with "wet". I had something spill in my trunk on the passenger side right behind the taillight. I also had a problem with the wipers coming on on their own after a heavy rain. I took it to Ford and they couldn't find the problem. My warranty just expired last month, so I'm SOL on this one. Any suggestions on how to fix this on the cheap?

Side note: My mother is suing Ford because Ford lost (yes, LOST) her car while they were doing some repairs; I wonder if I can persuade the dealership to work on my car for free to avoid a class action lawsuit considering how many Mustangs have this problem. Last year I had to take my car in for body work because the hood was corroded (something common in 05-09 Mustangs)
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The SJB is not in the trunk and your 'spill' has
nothing to do with your electrical problems.
The SJB is on the pass side kick panel.
Check your carpet for signs of water or mold.
It cant be fixed cheap. Too bad its not under warranty.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/sear...earchid=954918
Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
johnnyv

So I checked the SJB and everything looked fine. Then I decided to switch the passenger side taillights to the driver side. They didn't work, switched the driver side taillights to the passenger side and worked perfect. Hmm... wiring harness gone bad? Switched everything back, and put the stock wiring harness back on, and now I have two working lights on the passenger side. I assume that one of the bulbs went out in the switching mess. I'll replace it tomorrow because it's raining like crazy today.

Definitely glad it's not a SJB problem; I wonder if replacing the bulb will allow me to put the sequential taillights back on. I'll find out tomorrow
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by johnnyv
Definitely glad it's not a SJB problem; I wonder if replacing the bulb will allow me to put the sequential taillights back on. I'll find out tomorrow
Didn't know you had sequentials. With most (if not all) sequential taillight kits, if the inside (1st) bulb burns out then none of them will light up on that side. (think of a series circuit). Replace the bulb(s) and you should be fine. My S197's would go through taillight bulbs like crazy.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The SJB controls each filiment with a seperate wire
for bulb monitoring purposes. I would suspect bad
SJB before bad wiring harness.
Check for the proper voltages on the proper wires
at the SJB to rule out a bad wiring harness.
Go buy a good test light and use the online
service manual.

StopLight diagnosis procedures just like Ford would use...
Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 PM
poney_girl91

Hey, I have a 2000 Mustang and my driver side lights are doing the very same thing, but I dont know what it could be. I pulled fuses and tried new bulbs. I NEED my car running asap. Does anyone know whats causing this yet?

Quick Reply: My brake lights don't work