Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

07 Mustang V6, adding GT bumper and fog lights and HID, but have ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Let me get right on that for you....
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
texasbrit

problem solved
Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I had to buy the street scene wiring harness for my fog lights on my GT bumper. Craigslist for $60.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

gOOD DEAL...

fricken caps lock
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM
jakeinaz

I have a V6 with a gt style grill...I also happen to have a gt headlight switch with the fog light switch...which wire did you piggyback to make the switch turn them on or off? The red and whit headlight wire? The black and green for the parking lamps? Or is there another? Obviously I've installed a relay and have everything wired...just need to know which wire to attach the lead wire to male the gt pull-out fogs function work. Thanks!

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
+1. Unless you have a Pony Package with fogs already, you wont have what you need for foglights. The extent of the wiring is, there is a location in the underhood fuse box for a relay and fuse, and there are wires run to the headlight switch and SMJ.
A GT headlight switch is a great way to do the switching, but that just provides a ground to the SMJ which is supposed to energize the relay, assuming the relay is in; but most likely, the SMJ is not configured as such and won't ground the relay pin that it is supposed to.
And then there's the need to run the wiring to the lights themselves.

I dont know what wiring kits are available, but I simply got the headlamp connectors and ran the needed wires, tying into the underhood relay/fuse center at the appropriate relay output. And I cheated on the SMJ signal/ground wire, bypassing the SMJ and routing the wire direct to the headlight switch.
It works just like in a GT now, pull out the switch when the parking lights are on, and the fogs come on.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 AM
jakeinaz

There are two ways to make your aftermarket fogs work...the right way...without altering the circuitry or junction box.

1) Use the switch that comes with many of the kits -or buy a $2 toggle switch (yellow wire runs to the switch, red wire comes out of the switch...connect to one of the following)
a) Red and White wire on headlight switch (this will allow you to turn your fog lights on only when the headlights are turned on)
b) Light Green and (varies...see wiring diagram for your year) (this will allow you to turn the fogs on only when the parking lights are on...not with the headlights)
c) Run from any "always on" 12V fused line for "on any time" (though least advised)

2) Buy a factory headlight switch that already has the fog light function/switch (don't pay the dealer $130 or the parts store $120! Buy it at American Muscle for half that!)
Now, run the yellow wire (or switchable "hot" from the fog light harness) to the Orange and Green wire that plugs into the headlight switch. Not only will this allow you full function of your fog lights with both parking and headlights on (with the added benefit of factory shut-off so you can't leave them on (ding-ding-ding)) AND you can use them when your high beams are on (which is not a feature normally available with the factory fog light setup).

One last thing to remember...
I have gone back and forth on this with several aftermarket lighting mods...there is one main thing to remember...DO NOT route anything aftermarket through the SJB (junction box that controls your headlights among other things)! This includes changing of headlight wattage and call Ford before installing HID's. Some cheaper kits can throw off the codes in the SJB (Stage 2 (High Wattage) bulbs will throw off the codes in the sjb!!!).