Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel Mileage Computation

Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Newps

Default Fuel Mileage Computation

I have an 05 V6. The onboard computer will tell you your average gas mileage. It will also tell you how many gallons you have burned since the last fill up. How does it determine this? Is there an actual transducer that the fuel flows thru like I have on my airplane and boat or does the computer figure it some other way?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

same way it knows how many gallons remain in your tank
Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have one on mine too, but I still like to calculate my gas mileage the old fashion way with pen and paper.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I think it just has multiple floats in the fuel talk and figures it with basic math.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I have one on mine too, but I still like to calculate my gas mileage the old fashion way with pen and paper.
how accurate can that be? i think the dash calculator is accurate enough IMO.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Calculating by hand is typically more accurate than using the on-board reading. Roughly 80-90% of those on the forum state that their on-board is often 1-2 MPG conservative compared to hand-calculated values. However, my g/f's '06 V6's on-board is nearly dead-on. It's been stated that the on-board uses injector pulses to calculate fuel mileage. Whatever it uses, I consider it less accurate than hand calculating using, at time of fill-up:

current odometer reading - previous odometer reading
# of gallons (per the gas station pump)

Hand calculation also assumes that both your odometer and the gas station's pump are accurate. The on-board is good for a relative reading in most cases. Additionally, if you're not hand calculating AND resetting your average MPG at each fill-up, you'll barely see those changes to your fuel economy that indicate something is amiss with the car (i.e., low tire pressure, poor fuel quality, clogged intake filter...).

Last edited by Nuke; 09-28-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Calculating by hand is typically more accurate than using the on-board reading. Roughly 80-90% of those on the forum state that their on-board is often 1-2 MPG conservative compared to hand-calculated values. However, my g/f's '06 V6's on-board is nearly dead-on. It's been stated that the on-board uses injector pulses to calculate fuel mileage. Whatever it uses, I consider it less accurate than hand calculating using, at time of fill-up:

Hand calculation also assumes that both your odometer and the gas station's pump are accurate. The on-board is good for a relative reading in most cases. Additionally, if you're not hand calculating AND resetting your average MPG at each fill-up, you'll barely see those changes to your fuel economy that indicate something is amiss with the car (i.e., low tire pressure, poor fuel quality, clogged intake filter...).
+1. Computers and sensors aren't immune to errors. Nothing wrong with doing a manual calc once in a while.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Newps

Originally Posted by Nuke

I hope the computer is a little conservative. I'm getting an indicated 23 mpg in the city. I'll have to do some hand calculations to verify.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I drive about 50/50, city/highway, 25 minutes each way to work. I reset the onboard at each fill-up (odometer, MPG, and fuel used) mine is always between 23.3 and 24.2 mpg. I've checked it with paper and pencil a few times and its always been nearly dead on.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
chrisverneuil19
1st Gear Member

?? Huh, My Stang only show odometer and trip. WTF?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Computation