Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help on Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Mays45

Exclamation Need help on Mods!

hey guys i just got a 2005 fordmustang 4.0l v6 mustang for my 16th birthday. I need help on some cheap modds that are worth it! exhaust headers tuners, etc. thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Default Mods...

Here's my opninion of what mods to do in order or importance/noteworthyness:

1. DRIVER MOD.......I was 16 once, I know all about wanting to go faster and faster...and to be honest im still that way Lol ...Go get some track time at a local or semi-close roadcourse or dragstrip, prefferably a road course as you can hoan in your driving and apply skills learned to daily driving (so you know what your car does how it reacts etc....NOT SO YOU CAN HOT ROD AROUND TOWN SCARING OLD PEOPLE lol)

2. Tuner and CAI and GT takeoff muffler *if you're not planning on duals.
3. Locking rear diff and gears
4. If you are planning on duals you should do them HERE....lol bc you won't see much difference with duals and you will typically lose low end torque with duals. GEARS AND LOCKER are MUCH better mods for your money. Duals are merely a sound preference honestly, i'm not saying you wont see gains but they will be minimal.
5. Underdrive pullies, Frees up hp doesn't add it
6. Aluminum DS
7. Start appearance modding

that's just my .02
Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 AM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

everyone'll tell you different things in different orders but, the key stuff everyone seems to do are cai/tune and dual exhaust, than the rear end and suspension stuff, than fuel injection.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Mays45

nice cars, thank guys
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM
CLOONEY

Happy 16 by the way. My first mods on my stang were external mods which I believe were at first sequential tail lights and rims etc. then went with Borla exhaust and BBK intake for my 6er.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter589
everyone'll tell you different things in different orders but, the key stuff everyone seems to do are cai/tune and dual exhaust, than the rear end and suspension stuff, than fuel injection.
+1^^ Most people go with cai/tune, and exhaust to start with. Don't do to many 'go' mods to fast. You're a new driver and need to get used to the car and what it will and won't do. If you do the performance mods slowly, then you will be able to appreciate them more as they come.

DON'T be like a lot of 16 year old stangers and push it to far, and wreck your beautiful car. If your gonna push it, do it in a controlled place, like a track. Remember its rear wheel drive with a light *** end and you will lose traction on wet or snow.

Good luck, enjoy, and happy b-day
Old 11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Pyremind

Can someone explain to a total newb what 'cai/tune' is and where I can learn all about this? I just got a 2010 V6 figuring I wanted better gas mileage as I do some commuting and I already am yearning for more noise and power. :/ That took about a week...
Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

cai/tune is a cold air intake and new computer tune to optimize the engine's settings for the new setup, as well as the fact that ford had a conservative tune on the stock engine, so a new tune will draw out more potential.

Companies like brenspeed and bamachips can sell you these intakes and tunes. Some intakes need a tune like the JLT and some don't like the BBK.

Changing out to just a CAI won't give you big gains, it's the tune that optimizes things that makes the biggest difference.

I went with a BBK for now cause I'll get a tuner/tune afterwards, and don't see any significant change in performance. I did however get a bump in fuel economy since I installed my CAI. About 20 - 50 more KM out of a tank.

Don't expect 50+ horses out of a tune and cai either tho. You're looking at like 20hp gains with 93 octane.

Fuel economy and gains in power don't usually go hand in hand.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I'm going to go against the general theme here and suggest NOT bothering with performance mods at all (for now). The 210HP the car comes from the factory with is more than enough to be both a thrill and a potential handful for a young driver. Get some time and experience behind the wheel, get to know your car well, and then worry about upping the ante. I'd say give it six months or a year.

In the meantime, consider doing some appearence mods to make the car truly yours.

Sequential tailights are cool and popular

A GT takeoff muffler can be found for a song and sounds better than the V6 unit.

For a 'vert, a CDC lightbar is a huge styling plus (after you've seen one, Mustang 'verts without look positively nekkid)

There's lots of trim items you can add both inside and out to modify things to your own taste

Wider wheels/tires from GT takeoffs can be found pretty cheap, and increase performance and safety

It looks like you've already got a cool aftermarket hood on there, I'd consider picking up a more aggressive looking chin spoiler/splitter to complete the look

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 11-07-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I'm going to go against the general theme here and suggest NOT bothering with performance mods at all (for now). The 210HP the car comes from the factory with is more than enough to be both a thrill and a potential handful for a young driver. Get some time and experience behind the wheel, get to know your car well, and then worry about upping the ante. I'd say give it six months or a year.

In the meantime, consider doing some appearence mods to make the car truly yours.

Sequential tailights are cool and popular

A GT takeoff muffler can be found for a song and sounds better than the V6 unit.

For a 'vert, a CDC lightbar is a huge styling plus (after you've seen one, Mustang 'verts without look positively nekkid)

There's lots of trim items you can add both inside and out to modify things to your own taste

Wider wheels/tires from GT takeoffs can be found pretty cheap, and increase performance and safety

It looks like you've already got a cool aftermarket hood on there, I'd consider picking up a more aggressive looking chin spoiler/splitter to complete the look
I kinda agree with this post.

Quick Reply: Need help on Mods!