Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Observations on Camaro VS Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by chronos
I know what you mean about not being able to drive them. I remember when the Priuses came out and they had the same policy of buying without driving. You are basically buying a car from a brochure. That may work for a watch or a phone but not for a car. To make matters worse they expect you to pay up and let the car sit there, Haha, that is a joke and a half.

I went to see the Camaro back in April when it came out, before I got my Mustang because the wife insisted I should see it to make an informed decision. Well, I agree with everything negative that you guys have said. Cramped, blind spots, crappy materials, can't see over the hood (and I am 6',1"), the back seat is more of a joke than ours, etc. It didn't make sense that I would be paying more and getting less. The Mustang was a really good looking, comfortable (within reason), great driving car for a much better price.

No offense intended to any women when I said it was a blonde driving it, I was just stating a fact. The funny thing was I didn't know it was a Camaro as I was driving up to it. It was a dark gray type color and I couldn't make out the lines from far away. So I'm driving around 70, and I keep getting closer, and closer, and she was probably going like 60. So I thought it must be some old geezer driving it. When I finally got close enough and had no more room to go, she probably saw me in the rear view and she sped up. I got the feeling she wanted to show me she had more power, but I wasn't about to do any racing (not in morning traffic).
I am a woman. I was far from offended. LOL I see women allll the time that have no business driving the car they have - but I also see guys doing stupid crap too. LOL

Anywho. I read to my husband the post about the Dallas dealerships not allowing a test drive. He agreed with me - If a grown adult (just to rule out vast droves of kids wanting a joy ride) is about to plunk down some G's for a car, we better by gawd be allowed to test drive it first. That's absolutely ridiculous. I worked at Trophy Nissan in Mesquite Texas for a while when we first married, and even the Z cars (this was in 96-97) we would allow test drives - but a member of management had to go with them, not just us booger head salesmen. Still - they allowed test drives.

This is what the hubz had to say: GM must not be hurting too bad if they won't allow a test drive and they won't let you drive the last one off their lot while they wait on its replacement.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Olando

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
I am a woman. I was far from offended. LOL I see women allll the time that have no business driving the car they have - but I also see guys doing stupid crap too. LOL

Anywho. I read to my husband the post about the Dallas dealerships not allowing a test drive. He agreed with me - If a grown adult (just to rule out vast droves of kids wanting a joy ride) is about to plunk down some G's for a car, we better by gawd be allowed to test drive it first. That's absolutely ridiculous. I worked at Trophy Nissan in Mesquite Texas for a while when we first married, and even the Z cars (this was in 96-97) we would allow test drives - but a member of management had to go with them, not just us booger head salesmen. Still - they allowed test drives.

This is what the hubz had to say: GM must not be hurting too bad if they won't allow a test drive and they won't let you drive the last one off their lot while they wait on its replacement.
I don't post much but I had to comment on the no test drive thing. That is completely insane. Here in Calgary, thats unheard of as far as I know. I would have to find somewhere else to buy my car. The test drive seals the deal for me, I have to have it.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

To me its insane all around! Can't test drive it, but you can BUY IT, but if its the only one on the lot, you still can't drive away in it and may have to wait up to four weeks to take delivery on it? Seriously? That's just silly.... and also probably some marketing genius' idea of adding to the hype of the car.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ken04
Camaro-FUGLY
Camaro-rebodied Holden (Australian GM, just like ex-GTO)
Camaro 422 hp V8 0-60 4.8 seconds. Mustang 315 hp V8 0-60 4.9 seconds
Camaro 4000+ pounds Mustang 3400
Camaro GM (government motors) Ford, no bail out AND made a profit
Camaro vs Challenger vs Camaro shoot out, winner-Mustang
Camaro-FUGLY (did I say that already ?)
entertaining post i must say. i dont agree with fugly though. just not as impressive in person as in images and tv as i've already mentioned.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

When the '05 Mustangs came out, I went to a dealership and they didnt want to let me test drive one of the 2 GT's they had on the lot. Having driven up in a nice 300M and with my wife (and being 40-ish in age) I think made a difference. I was able to go on a short test drive, when they declined to let most people take one. They didnt really want to sell the car so we left.
Anyone who buys a new car without driving it first is taking a huge risk, mainly if it's something they really can live with! Ever get in a vehicle and test drive it and realize there are huge blind spots or you can't see out the back window or over the hood (for those shorter drivers)?
And as mentioned, I've had dealers offer to let me take a car overnight and try it, which is really cool.

I really decided against the new c'mos after racing one at the track and spanking it handily - twice!
I owned a z28 in the late 70's, so camaro's are a part of my blood.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
chromebluestrat
1st Gear Member

Camaro looks cartoonish....also it keeps reminding me of the Transformers movie...well, Megan Fox is in that, so that isn't a bad thing...LOL
Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I will never buy a car without test driving. Period. If a dealer ever tells me I cannot test drive a car, I will tell them that they will never get my money then, and ask them to point me in the direction of their competitor.

The dealership I bought my mustang from let me take it home for an entire week to decide if I wanted to buy it.

It worked.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I will never buy a car without test driving. Period. If a dealer ever tells me I cannot test drive a car, I will tell them that they will never get my money then, and ask them to point me in the direction of their competitor.

The dealership I bought my mustang from let me take it home for an entire week to decide if I wanted to buy it.

It worked.
wow... i thought just one night was a lot. a whole week??!!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ken04
Camaro-FUGLY
Camaro-rebodied Holden (Australian GM, just like ex-GTO)
Camaro 422 hp V8 0-60 4.8 seconds. Mustang 315 hp V8 0-60 4.9 seconds
Camaro 4000+ pounds Mustang 3400
Camaro GM (government motors) Ford, no bail out AND made a profit
Camaro vs Challenger vs Camaro shoot out, winner-Mustang
Camaro-FUGLY (did I say that already ?)
I have to agree Ken04, its been a long time since they made a good looking camaro. I havent been to impressed with there 1/4 mile either, my son runs 13.50s and has smoked a couple of them(could be driver)of course my sons 16 and been to the track a total of three times.lol
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I agree, I think the best looking Camaros were back in the 70's. I had a 79 and that was such a cool car. I had many fun adventures with that car. I was young, and single, and, well, I'll stop there. The thing that gets me now is how big they were, and still are. I was at a store the other day and walking back to my Mustang I walked past a 80's Z28, and I was taken aback by how huge they seem now. Our cars are just the right size.

One thing that stands out to me is the poor quality of the materials they used on this new generation inside and out. I few months back I was driving down a local street and came to a stop light right next to (and slightly ahead of) a new Camaro. I looked back at the front of the new Camaro and what surprised me was that the grill was a really cheap ABS plastic. It wasn't an evenly colored black like ours. It looked like a faded plastic that has been beaten by the sun. If that's the way it looks on a new car, I don't want to see it in 10 years. That is if it lasts that long.

Quick Reply: Observations on Camaro VS Mustang