Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Observations on Camaro VS Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Default Observations on Camaro VS Mustang

I haven't test driven a Camaro, but today I went out to do some errands and wound up driving behind one on the freeway. It had the two exhaust pipes so I think that's the V8 and some blond chick was driving it. Anyway, the thing I found interesting was that it seems to me like the Camaro has a bit of a squirrelly back end. The roadway was not perfect and every time she hit a bump in the road the back end seemed like it shifted sideways a little. When I drove over the same imperfection (since I was right behind her), in my lowly Pony Pkg, I could barely feel the bump or imperfection. Maybe that IRS isn't all that great. Just thought I'd share with you all.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

best to test drive one to give a more fair comparison. maybe the blondie was jerking it on purpose
Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Originally Posted by Sancho805
maybe the blondie was jerking it on purpose
Haha im sure she was.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

yall are nasty...forreal. maybe its just the more weight?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

Good luck on the test drive. My wife wants a Camero (she had one when she was 16). I called a dealer to see what they had available. They had two on the lot but he said I couldn't test drive either. Said I had to buy without driving. I asked if this was just that dealer's policy and he said that it was the policy of about 99% of the dealers in the Dallas/FW area.

He also said that one was already spoken for and the guy was taking delivery today. He said this meant that if I decided to buy the other one I would have to leave it on the lot until they could get a replacement (another policy was they have to have at least 1 Camero on the lot for viewing). I asked how long that might be and he said 3-4 week. WTF?!?!? 3-4 weeks of people sitting in my car? Of kids jumping around in it? Told the wife to forget it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

I test drove the Camero RS (V6) and the Camero SS2 (V8) last weekend as my stepdad is looking to buy either a camero or a vette...

I can tell you the following.... Every Camaro made has dual exhaust, v6 and v8. The V8 Exhaust tips are larger than the v6. You can tell a automatic from a manual by the emblems on the car. Red emblems=automatic, white=manual. The v6 has plenty of power, sadly, much more than our v6's.. its not even close. The v8 will snap your neck and plant your firmly in your seat...its the same engine that is put in the base corvette. The v6 sounds like crap when idling as it has the "direct injection" engine that is put in the Catilac.. it ticks like your watch constantly, never stopping, and its considered "normal. When revved, the v6 sounds like a nissan z to me. The v8 would sound awesome with some aftermarket exhaust... both cars have manual shifting on the steering wheel, meaning you can put in in drive and just go, or put it in manual and shift clutchlessly on the steering wheel. both cars have abs and trac-loc, boston accoustic sound systems, 19 or 20 inch wheels, ss has bremo brakes that stop on a dime, the SS has a larger radiator grille on the front which you can tell is different from the v6. so you can tell the difference on a v6 and a v8 from the front or the rear. The SS leather seats are the finest leather seats i have ever sat in... completely amazing quality, the cloth seats are crappy cloth seats... the trucks have much more room than our cars, you are sitting much lower in the seat and can barely see over the hood in the camaro. the side mirrors are cool looking in the camaro, the dash isnt that impressive, the steering wheel isnt quite as ugly in person, but not attractice to say the least... the back seat of the camaro is about the same as the mustang... the salesman was very uncomfortable in the back...which was kinda nice
Old 12-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbrecken
Good luck on the test drive. My wife wants a Camero (she had one when she was 16). I called a dealer to see what they had available. They had two on the lot but he said I couldn't test drive either. Said I had to buy without driving. I asked if this was just that dealer's policy and he said that it was the policy of about 99% of the dealers in the Dallas/FW area.

He also said that one was already spoken for and the guy was taking delivery today. He said this meant that if I decided to buy the other one I would have to leave it on the lot until they could get a replacement (another policy was they have to have at least 1 Camero on the lot for viewing). I asked how long that might be and he said 3-4 week. WTF?!?!? 3-4 weeks of people sitting in my car? Of kids jumping around in it? Told the wife to forget it.
WTF???!!!... do they care about selling cars?!!!

out here in socal, they'll let you use the car for the night if you just agree to sit and talk numbers after you bring it back!.... lol... i could be exaggerating a wee bit.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
I think that's the V8 and some blond chick was driving it.
Lolz. Typical blonde bimbo in a sportscar. I drove next to a Camaro on my way home from work this week and let me tell you, it looks like a box on wheels. If I wanted to drive a box I would've bought a Scion xB.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM
71TERA

My wife and I went out the weekend before we bought our stang and test drove both a 2SS and a loaded up RS. Im 6'6" and I had absolutly no head room in the Camaro, the paddleshift was awesome even with the V6. Put the SS in performance mode and the paddleshift was downright perfect. The bad I didnt fit, lots of blindspots, dash is about a foot higher then it should be, and you cant hear NOTHING from the exhaust, with 425HP I want to HEAR IT. I know I have heard of the problems with the trannies, and some other issues. So those need to be taken into account if buying one. But for a first year car they have done a decent job on it.
I wish Ford would have put the 365HP SHO V6 into the 2011 Mustang, you know Chevrolet is going to up the HP in the Camaro next year just to stay ahead of the Mustang.
Just my 2 cents worth.
jeff
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet
Lolz. Typical blonde bimbo in a sportscar. I drove next to a Camaro on my way home from work this week and let me tell you, it looks like a box on wheels. If I wanted to drive a box I would've bought a Scion xB.
oh come on... its a cool looking ride. however, i will admit that the styling is not as impressive in person as it is in mags and tv... JMO

also... i sure see a hell of a lot more 2010 stangs than new camaros... i'm sure price has a lot to do with it but i'm also sure the good 'ol americana tradition of owning a mustang has a lot to do with it as well! stangs are holding it down nicely.

this makes me think of an analogy with video game systems. the nintendo wii is far out-selling the bigger badder xbox 360 and PS3 even though the graphics and processing performance really lags behind. its simply a very fun, enjoyable and affordable system to play along with a long past history of weathering the storm of other high profile systems... similar to the stang

Quick Reply: Observations on Camaro VS Mustang