Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear end clunk every time I step on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
bobs184

Default Rear end clunk every time I step on the gas

For the last two weeks, I've noticed a relatively subtle clunk from what appears to be the left rear of the car. It only happens when I let off the break and start to the touch the gas (so basically, between 0 and 5 mph). I don't hear this noise or anything abnormal while cruising, accelerating after the initial start off, or while breaking.

It's not overly noticable, but definitely is a new thing.

The car has 31,000 miles and is an automatic.

I'm not overly knowledgable on cars so I'm not really sure what this sound is. Thanks for any help
Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure the noise is not coming from the front of the car - like the front lower control arms?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Probably driveline slop. You might notice it more when its cold or something. Nothing to really worry about, they all do it to some degree. It could be something else though. Driveline slop can sound kind of like a thunk. Driveline slop comes from a mix of the trans, driveshaft and different gear tolerances not being too tight.

I know sometimes before I do gears on peoples cars if you drive slowly and go around 5 to 10mph and let off the gas and then hit it again it has like a slight clunk to it or something. Thats what im talking about. Usually after I do the gears it almost all goes away.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Check out http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=76&viewfile...e%20System.pdf , page 205-00-6 for "knocks" and "clunks".

A certain amount of that can be considered normal. Our drivelines are pretty sloppy.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

i HAD LOOSE DRIVESHAFT FLANGE BOLTS THAT Caused the very same thing
you are describing. Get under there and torque them to spec.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
bobs184

Thanks for everyone's help. I think the cold is definitely one reason for this, because i've been driving it alot in the 25-40 degree range and it hasn't been used to that. But it also seems like I hear a little more noise coming from the back end when driving over bumps or on a rough road, and I never really heard that before either.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
chrisverneuil19
1st Gear Member

Mine does the exact same thing. Its most noticble some days and its gone others. Ive been told its just slop in the drive train. I dont like it eiather but so far nothings wrong. Ive Got 34 and some change on her
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 AM
bobs184

Well I made an appointment with Ford on monday since I've still got two months of warranty left. I'll let you guys know what the say.

Today's a bit warmer out and it's still making lots of noise back there over some pretty small bumps on the roads.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

I just recently put on some aftermarket LCA with poly bushings, i hear the same thing, mines an manual so i hear it everytime the clutch engages and give it some gas, mainly downshifting though is when its worse.

I'm definetly going to check the driveshaft bolts to see if there loose or something, My LCA's are torqued down pretty tight though.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 PM
bobs184

I can't really explain it, but the noise seems to come from the cold air intake believe it or not. It seems that the black plate that sits around the filter rattles occasionally. I hear it in the front, but somehow it equates to what I can describe as noise from the back. I adjusted this and made sure everything was tight and tied down and the noise stopped. Go figure.

On a brighter note, tomorrow I'm taking it in for a transmission flush and am excited about that. Also, I'm going to test drive a nice looking 07 GT black convertible with black rims. Looks fun!

Quick Reply: Rear end clunk every time I step on the gas