Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Check Charging System Warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Derf00
There's a relay in the upper right hand side (drivers side under the dash) that maintains power when you turn the car off until you open a door. Sounds like relay is going bad. It controls all of the interior electronics. If it's going bad or is bad that would present the issues you are describing.

When you turn the car off and take the key out, before you open a door, listen very carefuly, you'll hear what sounds like two noisey small gears rotating, that's actually the relay. when you open the door it should stop after a second or two.
The ACC DELAY relay is not 'in the upper right hand side'.
Its located in the SJB in the passengers side kick area.
Here is the electrical diagram showing this.
The only two relays that are located in the drivers upper
dash area are the OEM relays for heated seats.
Been there done that... Twice now...

Gears rotating in an OEM relay. gimme a break.
Feeding this poor soul errent information.
Shame on you.
Next it will be a pnumatic relay....

Last edited by 157dB; 01-02-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:06 PM
chrisverneuil19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
The ACC DELAY relay is not 'in the upper right hand side'.
Its located in the SJB in the passengers side kick area.
Here is the electrical diagram showing this.
The only two relays that are located in the drivers upper
dash area are the OEM relays for heated seats.
Been there done that... Twice now...

Gears rotating in an OEM relay. gimme a break.
Feeding this poor soul errent information.
Shame on you.
Next it will be a pnumatic relay....
Hahahaha Pnumatic relay, Try a hydrolic one. Mahahahahaha.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:30 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

have you tried the dreaded water leak? (TSB 07-14-6) when water leaks into the passenger side it will more than likely get the GEM modules wet. when that happens, crazy things can happen to the car electronics including brake lights staying on or electronics turning off while the car is still running
Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
have you tried the dreaded water leak? (TSB 07-14-6) when water leaks into the passenger side it will more than likely get the GEM modules wet. when that happens, crazy things can happen to the car electronics including brake lights staying on or electronics turning off while the car is still running
GEM?

SJB!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...nctionbox.html
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i hate to resurrect an old thread but did the op ever figure what was wrong? ive been getting check charging system and battery lights randomly for the last week. battery has been replaced. new one tested fine. when i got the alternator tested the guy said "oh low frequency fail, starter fail, so i dont know" ... so i dont know what that even tells me...
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
gazzara928

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
i hate to resurrect an old thread but did the op ever figure what was wrong? ive been getting check charging system and battery lights randomly for the last week. battery has been replaced. new one tested fine. when i got the alternator tested the guy said "oh low frequency fail, starter fail, so i dont know" ... so i dont know what that even tells me...
Hey never really quite figured out what was wrong but it works now. They said it was the relay or the alternator but i just changed the battery and it started working fine for me. I hope this helps
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
rsims

Default Resurrecting your resurrected thread...

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
2006 GT Premium Convertible - 25K Miles.
Shaker 500 amps, Pioneer head unit.

My Check Charging System message has been popping up intermittantly for the past month or so, usually when I'm far from home and in the middle of a reasonably long trip (scary). Sometimes the battery light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Once it comes on, it usually goes out on it's own after a while, but also usually comes back on during that trip.

The very first day it happened on about a 20 mile trip, all of the accessories in the car turned off and the battery meter pegged at full blast for a couple of seconds, then everything came back on and the message went off (and then on again off again...), but that only happened the one time.

No trouble codes are being stored, but I have tried to replicate the problem by turning on everything in my driveway and leaving a meter on the battery - but could never get it to come on. However, when I had everything on (Lights, a/c, stereo cranking) I had about 13.26 volts on the battery, which I thought was maybe a little low, but when the message and light came on last night and I was close to home, I was able to get a meter on it before the message went out and there was 13.96 volts on the battery, which seems fine to me...?

Call me old school, but if the battery is dead, I want to hear it go chug chug choo or maybe even click click click when I turn the key, this battery starts the car immediately and seems to exhibit no issues.

Most threads I have read on this subject say that I "should have the battery tested", which I will do, but my fear is that either the parts store just wants to sell me a battery so whether or not it's the battery or not, they're going to say it's the battery, or, even worse, if the test is inconclusive or the guy doesn't really know what he's doing, or the test just isn't sensitive enough to meet Fords computer specs, they're going to say the battery is fine when it's really not and I'm going to be replacing the (from what I've heard) ridiculously expensive alternator...

So, does anyone have any intimate knowledge of exactly what this message means? Is there some specific test that I can run either on the car or the battery that will clearly show what the issue is?

I'm one of the unlucky folks who have lost thier jobs and so I can't afford to go throwing any amount of money at it right now, but I also need reliable transportation, so I'm kind of in a bind. I'm kinda afraid to take it out for any distance at this point because folks have said that sometimes the car will quit with this issue - kinda a bummer with only 25K miles...
Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by rsims
2006 GT Premium Convertible - 25K Miles.
Shaker 500 amps, Pioneer head unit.

My Check Charging System message has been popping up intermittantly for the past month or so, usually when I'm far from home and in the middle of a reasonably long trip (scary). Sometimes the battery light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Once it comes on, it usually goes out on it's own after a while, but also usually comes back on during that trip.

The very first day it happened on about a 20 mile trip, all of the accessories in the car turned off and the battery meter pegged at full blast for a couple of seconds, then everything came back on and the message went off (and then on again off again...), but that only happened the one time.

No trouble codes are being stored, but I have tried to replicate the problem by turning on everything in my driveway and leaving a meter on the battery - but could never get it to come on. However, when I had everything on (Lights, a/c, stereo cranking) I had about 13.26 volts on the battery, which I thought was maybe a little low, but when the message and light came on last night and I was close to home, I was able to get a meter on it before the message went out and there was 13.96 volts on the battery, which seems fine to me...?

So, does anyone have any intimate knowledge of exactly what this message means? Is there some specific test that I can run either on the car or the battery that will clearly show what the issue is?
If it is throwing a DTC, I can point you in the direction of a fix...
The VERY FIRST thing to check is the battery terminals.
Then read up on the charging system before having anyone do any diagnostics on it.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 AM
rsims

Default Still persists...

Originally Posted by 157dB
If it is throwing a DTC, I can point you in the direction of a fix...
The VERY FIRST thing to check is the battery terminals.
Then read up on the charging system before having anyone do any diagnostics on it.
The terminals look brand new and I went ahead and had the battery tested (which it passed) and replaced it just to be safe, but the problem still persists. Very odd battery terminals btw...

I have not had the oppurtunity to hook up the scanner while it is actively displaying the message, so I don't know if it's throwing any codes while the message is on, but it is not storing any codes. Perhaps I will take a drive with my notebook plugged in and see if it does indeed throw any codes during the event.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

It will not throw a code without storing it.
So much for that one....

Quick Reply: Check Charging System Warning!!!