Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Found out something disappointing about my driveshaft today

Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
NOTSTOCK

I agree that losing weight in the drivetrain, even if only 6 pounds, is still a good thing. Coupled with stronger, smoother operation, I think you still did ok. I just ordered my 3.5 aluminum ds from shaftmasters on Saturday. David was awesome and answered all of my questions. I should have it this week and will hopefully put it on next weekend. I'll give a full report then.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

The V6 has a one piece steel driveshaft stock. The GT has a 2 piece driveshaft that weighs a ton. Switching to an aluminum driveshaft on a GT literally feels like the car lost 500 pounds and there is a significant improvement. With the V6 there won't be so much of an improvement since they already come with a light one piece shaft.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shaftmasters
We are sorry if you are dissappointed with the weight saving with our driveshaft. We take pride in the fact that we make a honest effort to not mislead or exaggerate what you can expect from our driveshaft. The V-6 Mustang OEM driveshaft doesn't weigh nearly as much as the GT driveshaft because the V-6 is a one-piece driveshaft whereas the GT is a two-piece. I have looked at our store and haven't seen on it where we claim that the V-6 OEM driveshaft weighs 39lbs. If you are not happy with your purchase you have 30 days from the date of delivery to return for a full refund. Feel free to let us know if that is your wish.
Wow! I wish all companies stood behind their products like this. When the time comes I know where I'm going to get a DS.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsokimapilot
Wow! I wish all companies stood behind their products like this. When the time comes I know where I'm going to get a DS.
+ 1. Me too!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:15 PM
CB617
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsokimapilot
+1

You couldn't ask for better customer service than that.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Definitely going Shaftmasters when time for a DS. Probably next mod after suspension.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

My question is why does ford factory feel that steel 2 piece is the best option on the GT's when it obvious that a 1 piece aluminum is the best option...Is it because steel is cheaper then aluminum....thank god for the aftermarket!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I would advise any sixers that want a DS to get the absolute lightest possible. Looking back I didnt want to spend $200 for 2lbs lighter, but now thinking about it, it is really worth it for a sixer.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
While taking pictures of my stock DS I decided to weigh it and see how much I really saved. Everywhere says the stock shaft weighs about 40LB but let the picture tell the real story. Thats right it only weighs 24.5LB! I weighed my shaftmasters when I got it and it was 18.5lbs, so I spent $500 to save 6lbs. Maybe the GT shaft weighs 40lbs? Kinda sucks but what are you gonna do I guess. Now I am rethinking whether it was my shorties or my DS that made it feel faster since they were done at the same time.
6 pounds may not seem like a huge weight saving, but you forget because the DS spins, that's a rotating mass meaning it's a lot heavier. also, shaftmasters are a one piece design making the car much more stable and MUCH safer at speed.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
The scale is accurate guys, the DS wasnt touching the floor I check, and I stood it straight up and got the same weight. Also I weighed my shaftmasters when I got it on that same scale and it weighed 18.5lbs which is exactly what they stated, so im sure its accurate. Anyway im not really that mad about it, definitely keeping it, but just slightly disappointed. No sites state what the V6 shafts weighs, they all just talk about the GT weighing so much. Just wanted to make people aware.
Also the stock shaft has a lower critical speed which is why Ford speed limits the V6 to about 120 MPH and thats with the stock 3.31 gears. The upgraded shaft makes sense if you going to be changing the rear gears or removing the speed limiter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found out something disappointing about my driveshaft today