Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Buying a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default Buying a supercharger

I am considering buying a supercharger for my 08 V6, but I have a few questions before I pull the trigger. Any help would be greatly appreciated

What models of superchargers are on the market for the V6? I have seen the X-Charger and Vortech models. Anything else?

What else is needed for the supercharger upgrade? I have heard that I will need to upgrade my rear axle to an 8.8. True?

What about gears? Will I need to upgrade to 3:73's instead of the stock 3:31's?

Any opinions on which supercharger is the best?

Thanks guys! I thought it was as easy as just buying the supercharger kit, but there seems to be more to it than that.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
What models of superchargers are on the market for the V6? I have seen the X-Charger and Vortech models. Anything else?
Also Paxton/Shelby, Procharger not to mention several turbo vendors

What else is needed for the supercharger upgrade? I have heard that I will need to upgrade my rear axle to an 8.8. True?
Not necessarily. Plenty of 4.0 S/C owner have retained the 7.5"

A more important consideration is some type of limited slip differential. The extra power of going supercharged isn't really much use if you can't transfer it to the ground.

What about gears? Will I need to upgrade to 3:73's instead of the stock 3:31's?
Depends on your intended use. For the street the stock gearing isn't bad, if you're going to be at the track a lot, swapping the gear ratio has benefits.

Any opinions on which supercharger is the best?
Might as well ask which ice cream flavor is the best. Everyone has their preference. I'm a huge fan of the X-Charger for the low end torque and the characteristic positive displacement whine, but there are people with Vortech's etc just as happy with their system.

Thanks guys! I thought it was as easy as just buying the supercharger kit, but there seems to be more to it than that.
There is, but you're going about it the right way. However you slice it, it's a sizeable purchase, ask lots of questions, talk to owners of the systems you like most, take your time deciding, and you'll end up with something you're likely to be happy with
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i like paul am a big x fan but then again i am 001. my car turned 5 january 5th this year i have over 50k on her and i have been to the track many times and had the thing dynoed to death due to being the mule for the AFE intake and the x charger. not to mention while i was in detroit working on red dawn last year my colant housing spran a leek and my wife let her overheat nd still drover her home.

still runs great fun to drive and no problems so far. other than folding the origional early model 05 pos driveshaft in hafe on the dyno after the install. do a seach i think that post is still here. late 05 if i remember.

if your a power hound go another way. if you want retro/stock looks under the hood and fun power when you need it go x.

i have the stock auto trans but have installed lca's panard bar, gt front sway and rear sway. the dif i installed a t-loc but left the stock gears. and even after floding the driveshaft which i am sure put some prett good strain on the tranny and dif. i am still good. also i am running some decent 17inch street tires on the rear. so it launches pretty good.

that being said i have only ran drag radials once at the track. so as long as you dont hit the track every week with slicks and slam the trans if your a stick. you shouold be fine.

keep looking and keep posting. depending on where you live there are lots of x guys out there willing to share there experiances with you as well as other guys with other kits.
take your time and dont rush into it its a big step. also remember you will now have to run premium or better in the car but the inproved breathing it kind of washes . my car get the same if not better mileage, that is if i drive nice.

good luck and keep us posted.

Tom
Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Do a search. I've posted pics and info on my Vortech setup.
Take your time and do a lot of research!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I too love the X-charger... but the X-charger is my only experience with a F/I system. I have seen Mike's in person (tx_zstang) and his is nice also, but my personal preference is the look of the mp90 on the X

There is a lot of info here and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I have an auto also, and run 3.73 gears with the 7.5 rear end, you can see my mod list in my sig.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I too love the X-charger... but the X-charger is my only experience with a F/I system. I have seen Mike's in person (tx_zstang) and his is nice also, but my personal preference is the look of the mp90 on the X

There is a lot of info here and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I have an auto also, and run 3.73 gears with the 7.5 rear end, you can see my mod list in my sig.

Did you add your gears before you went F/I? How much of a difference do the 3:73 gears make? My 08 V6 is just a daily driver. I have no intention of ever taking it to the race track. But what I am looking for is a "better driving experience" if that makes sense.

I currently have a FRPP cold air intake and tune. While that made a very noticeable difference, I have gotten use to it and am looking for more Having gotten use to it, I can still feel the sluggish pull of the stock 3:31's. Hate getting my *** kicked off the starting line by volkswagons and mini vans. LOL!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Also Paxton/Shelby, Procharger not to mention several turbo vendors

Not necessarily. Plenty of 4.0 S/C owner have retained the 7.5"

A more important consideration is some type of limited slip differential. The extra power of going supercharged isn't really much use if you can't transfer it to the ground.

Depends on your intended use. For the street the stock gearing isn't bad, if you're going to be at the track a lot, swapping the gear ratio has benefits.

Might as well ask which ice cream flavor is the best. Everyone has their preference. I'm a huge fan of the X-Charger for the low end torque and the characteristic positive displacement whine, but there are people with Vortech's etc just as happy with their system.

There is, but you're going about it the right way. However you slice it, it's a sizeable purchase, ask lots of questions, talk to owners of the systems you like most, take your time deciding, and you'll end up with something you're likely to be happy with
WOW! Thank you I started looking into superchargers for my v6 simply because this is my first car, I love it, and don't want to sell simply to "have more power." But when I started seeing that many recommended the 8.8 rear end, and now I see people saying that gauge clusters are recommended for monitoring, all I can think is "$#it, this is almost too complex, to the point where it would just be easier to upgrade."

What I wish supercharger manufacturers would say is "you may find it beneficial to add this and this if you are upgrading to a supercharger." I don't want to make such a huge commitment only to find out that other supporting modifications were needed to support the supercharger....and then do permanent damage to my stang.

Oh, if only FRPP made a supercharger for the V6.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Did you add your gears before you went F/I? How much of a difference do the 3:73 gears make? My 08 V6 is just a daily driver. I have no intention of ever taking it to the race track. But what I am looking for is a "better driving experience" if that makes sense.

I currently have a FRPP cold air intake and tune. While that made a very noticeable difference, I have gotten use to it and am looking for more Having gotten use to it, I can still feel the sluggish pull of the stock 3:31's. Hate getting my *** kicked off the starting line by volkswagons and mini vans. LOL!
I got my gears before my x-charger. I would recommend getting some 3.73's (8.8 would be easier) and an aluminum driveshaft before going FI.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
sonic245
2nd Gear Member

WOW! Thank you I started looking into superchargers for my v6 simply because this is my first car, I love it, and don't want to sell simply to "have more power." But when I started seeing that many recommended the 8.8 rear end, and now I see people saying that gauge clusters are recommended for monitoring, all I can think is "$#it, this is almost too complex, to the point where it would just be easier to upgrade."

What I wish supercharger manufacturers would say is "you may find it beneficial to add this and this if you are upgrading to a supercharger." I don't want to make such a huge commitment only to find out that other supporting modifications were needed to support the supercharger....and then do permanent damage to my stang.

Oh, if only FRPP made a supercharger for the V6.
Actually most of that IS just recommended. There a lot of guys running the X without gears, t-lok or guages. they just all will help. When I bought mine, Dave Vanek from X-charger told me guages weren't needed at all (mostly because the tune is very safe). You will WANT the rear end upgrade though, no matter what you choose. It will help.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Gauges are not necessary, but nice to have.

Aluminum driveshaft is not necessary on '08, or if you keep it under 110mph. But can make your car a little faster if you install one.

You might be ok with the 7.5 if you don't abuse it, but an 8.8 with gears will give more fun street performance to your daily driver. And you don't have to worry about breaking anything.

Quick Reply: Buying a supercharger