Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

07 v6 not starting after zex window switch install.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
fiveOH1985

Default 07 v6 not starting after zex window switch install.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, im a long time member over on Allfordmustangs.com, but i figured id hop on here to ask you guys some S197 specific questions.

i installed a zex nitrous system on my 07 v6, and i was installing the window switch today. well, after i tapped into my tach wire, and reconnected my battery, i started the car, and noticed my window switch wasnt reading the right rpms, like it was jumping all over the place. so i figured it was a bad connection where i tapped into the tach wire. well, without thinking, i didnt disconnect my battery, and i unplugged the plug going to my coil, cleaned up the slice connection. then i went to plug the plug back in, and i must have had some wire sticking out of the connector, and i think it hit my copper purge lines, because there was a huge spark. and when i went to start my car, all it does is crank. its like its not getting any spark. it does the exact same thing as if you went and unplugged your coil. your engine will crank, but not start.

any ideas what i should check? will my tuner read any codes?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
JimC

Your tuner should read any codes. Hopefully you didn't fry the ECM with the spark.

What window switch did you put in - and if it isn't reading correctly make sure it is set up correctly. The 4.0 uses a waste spark so you have to set it for that fact.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
fiveOH1985

all my gauges still work and everything. it just wont turn over. just cranks and cranks and cranks. i will plug my tuner intonight after work. so if my ecu is fried, will my tuner even recognize it?

are there any fuses or relays i can check?

Last edited by fiveOH1985; 02-11-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Check all your fuses, you probably blew a fuse. Check fuses underhood as well as cabin. If after that it doesnt start check for spark, and so on. If you have a multimeter makes it much easier, since you dont have to pull them and visually look at them.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
fiveOH1985

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
Check all your fuses, you probably blew a fuse. Check fuses underhood as well as cabin. If after that it doesnt start check for spark, and so on. If you have a multimeter makes it much easier, since you dont have to pull them and visually look at them.
ok, and to double check the in cabin fuse box is behind the passenger kick panel? and aslo, i do have a multimeter, so how do i use it to check the fuses?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Put the meter in "Ohms" test. Take the 2 probes and touch them together. You should get close to "0" ohms. Then you can pull each fuse and go across it with the probes. Good fuses should read close to "0" ohms. Open fuses (bad) should read close to infinity.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
Put the meter in "Ohms" test. Take the 2 probes and touch them together. You should get close to "0" ohms. Then you can pull each fuse and go across it with the probes. Good fuses should read close to "0" ohms. Open fuses (bad) should read close to infinity.
um why not turn on the key and set the volt ohm meter to volts DC setting. Then ground the black or negative lead and use the red lead to touch both sides of each fuse then you know for sure your getting voltage across the fuse. JMHO
Jeff
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
fiveOH1985

Originally Posted by Jebmustangv6
um why not turn on the key and set the volt ohm meter to volts DC setting. Then ground the black or negative lead and use the red lead to touch both sides of each fuse then you know for sure your getting voltage across the fuse. JMHO
Jeff
so turn the ccar on, ground black, and then just touch the top of the fuses?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
JimC

fiveOH1985 - where in Michigan are you located, I just remember you said that Lidio did your tuning so figure you must be somewhere in SE Michigan
Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 PM
fiveOH1985

Originally Posted by JimC
fiveOH1985 - where in Michigan are you located, I just remember you said that Lidio did your tuning so figure you must be somewhere in SE Michigan
yup, im in canton. 20 minutes west of detroit. where are you at?

Quick Reply: 07 v6 not starting after zex window switch install.