Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 V6 Dual Exhaust: FRPP or Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
cpsstang

Default 2010 V6 Dual Exhaust: FRPP or Magnaflow?

Hey folks! Just ordered GT500 rear valance to replace stock single and need opion. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Magnaflow dual cat back, but contacted Dynospeed Racing in Memphis for install and was told FRPP dual cat back was preferred. Any thoughts here from both sides? Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

FRPP GTA's!
or.....
Borla Stingers
....I however am going the cheapest best sounding route (IMHO)
And going to macperformance.com and ordering mac flowpath mufflers and then taking them to a shop and telling them to make me an axle-back for about half the cost of the system mac sells on the intrawebz
120 for two muffs shipped
50 bucks for good tips
about 30 dollars for fab work.
200 dolllars total and about half what a typical axle-back costs.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 PM
cpsstang

I never even considered the possibility. Not from "name brand" standpoint, but simply lack the knowledge to travel that path. Great idea and thanks for the heads up. I'll do some research on the website. Talk about freeing up cash to jump on the
SCT X3 tuner!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cpsstang
I never even considered the possibility. Not from "name brand" standpoint, but simply lack the knowledge to travel that path. Great idea and thanks for the heads up. I'll do some research on the website. Talk about freeing up cash to jump on the
SCT X3 tuner!
yessir!
around here there are several exhaust shops that will cut you a deal if you sound like you know what you are talking about.....if the think that you don't most places will take advantage of you and jack their price up.....just mention how it's less than a 20 minute job with a little over 18 inches of pipe lol if they tell you it'll be an hour or two then you need to find another shop lol
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

I had my work done at a good muffler shop here in my area. I got the whole conversion done for about 450cash. This included x-pipe,mandrel bent tubing,2Borla muffs,2 tips and cutting of the valance(gt500valance is sweet) and installation . I didn't dig the h-pipe set up of the magnaflows plus I got the whole set up for less the the price of their kit.sounds great n im very pleased. FRPP must be sweet but they will prolly run about 7-8 papers I beleive?!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

The FRPP kit (x-pipe with GTA or GTB mufflers) sounds fantastic, imho (its what I have). No drone, looks great, and smoooth.

I like it so much.. I want to keep my GTA's when I trade in my car (if the wife lets me get the 5.0). Not sure I can use them with the 2011 GT though...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
JackNutz

I just bought my new pony about 1 week ago. I was looking at doing the same to mine and here is what I did. I took it to the same exhaust place that the two local Ford dealers use for all of their work. I was looking more for the sound as adding the dual exhaust was more of an astetic install. I was able to listen to five different mufflers, a couple of flowmaster, magnaflow and finally spin tech. All sounded good but the spin tech sounded great. I was able to get a new muffler with the sound that I wanted and new exhaust tip with installation and only paid $185. All of this was done in a matter of 40 minutes. When talking with the dealer, for the Stang 4.0L V6 engine, putting on a dual exhaust is truly just for looks as it will not provide you with anymore or very little hp and the same for torque, but just add extra weight. So I got the sound I wanted at the price that I absolutely loved. Don't be stuck on the name brand mufflers as there are really good others out there. If a jump in hp is what you are looking for then the K&N CAI or BBK CAI is where I would go to get it.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
cpsstang

Thanks for the knowledge! That's what I love about these sites; if you can listen well, weed through a little bull here and there you can learn a ton! I already have and appreciate all your thoughts. I'm not hung up on brand and know I won't generate more than a couple hp's at best, but like you guys; it's my stang and I want to make the right decision.

This mod is all about looks and sound!