Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Maybe a retarded question, but how much HP and Torque do the X-Chargers put out?
The non-intercooled version with a custom tune gets around 280RWH and 290RWT
Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
The non-intercooled version with a custom tune gets around 280RWH and 290RWT
So I have to ask then, why are people going with the X-Charger over the Vortech set up?

X-Charger = 280-290 HP for $4500

Vortech = 330 HP for $4500 and it is intercooled.

So why does the X get so much love? It seems to me that the Vortech set up is the clear win. Same price, more horsepower, and Vortech is intercooled (an option that seems to be taking forever to get off the ground with the X).

I am looking at buying a supercharger this summer. Just trying to sort everything out!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

So I have to ask then, why are people going with the X-Charger over the Vortech set up?

So why does the X get so much love? It seems to me that the Vortech set up is the clear win. Same price, more horsepower, and Vortech is intercooled (an option that seems to be taking forever to get off the ground with the X).

I am looking at buying a supercharger this summer. Just trying to sort everything out!
Torque
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmasek89
Torque
Torque? The X delivers more torque?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

well i think they both give the same amount of torque, but the x delivers it faster
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The torque and HP are delivered to the car faster than a vortech. The X charger also has a louder whine, and is easier to install.

The main reasons people for for the x-charger are...
Ease of installation
The looks of the M90
The sound
and the near instant power at low RPM's.

Each type of F/I system has their pro's and cons. If I could pick my S/C all over again with any amount of money, I would go with the x-charger again. Just my preference (I love the looks/sound).
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Red Beast
if you dont mind me asking, how much is the intercooler kit, do you buy the x-charger and the intercooler seperatley or can they be bought together as a kit? does anybody know when the additional kits will be availiable? i was planning on ordering my blower in may/june so i have time to wait.
The first intercooler kits are $1500 + the price of new fuel rails if you have a 2006 or later (the intercooler kit requires the 2005 fuel rails) if you are adding itto yoru current Xcharger. If you are buying new with the intercooler I'm not sure since I didn't need to check that price.

Maybe a retarded question, but how much HP and Torque do the X-Chargers put out?
That depends - I have 260 to the rear wheels and 250 torque but others are putting up higher numbers in the upper 280's and more torque. My tune is running very safe and there is a lot left on it though. I decided to hold off on a dyno tune until I get the intercooler.

Last edited by JimC; 02-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

If you're grabbing the 330HP figure from Vortech's literature, that's the number at the FLYWHEEL, not the rear wheels.

My X (w/ supporting mods) is putting down a very reliable 300HP at the rear wheels. Figuring 18% or so drivetrain loss, that in the ballpark of 354HP at the flywheel.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The torque and HP are delivered to the car faster than a vortech. The X charger also has a louder whine, and is easier to install.

The main reasons people for for the x-charger are...
Ease of installation
The looks of the M90
The sound
and the near instant power at low RPM's.

Each type of F/I system has their pro's and cons. If I could pick my S/C all over again with any amount of money, I would go with the x-charger again. Just my preference (I love the looks/sound).
You rock man! Thank you for clarify that for me In buying a S/C, I'd really like more of that "seat of the pants" and squeeze your ********* up into your stomach kind of feel. Sounds like the X delivers just that.

What is the benefit to being intercooled?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
If you're grabbing the 330HP figure from Vortech's literature, that's the number at the FLYWHEEL, not the rear wheels.

My X (w/ supporting mods) is putting down a very reliable 300HP at the rear wheels. Figuring 18% or so drivetrain loss, that in the ballpark of 354HP at the flywheel.
So maybe a very noobish question, but what is the difference between "flywheel" and "rear wheels"?

As always, thanks for the help Torch_Vert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?