Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?

hey guys, well ive been saving and hoping i can finally get my blower within the next couple months, but im stuck between the Vortech V3 HO or the X-Charger. what are the differences between the two? this is what i know.

Vortech V3 HO
-More HP/TQ, ...i think?
-Cooler

X-Charger
-1k cheaper

also can somebody tell me the differences between a twin screw blower and a gear driven?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Red Beast... I am going to move this into the 4.0 section, I think you will get more traffic there.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

thanks man, but it doesnt seem like theres enough blown V6's to answer my question, how much hp does your x-charger put down to your wheels?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

first off I'd go w/ the intercooled x, which will porob be 1k more so we're talking about the same price. intercoolers new so not on the site but they have great cust service there if you call.
turbo will give you the best #'s
vortec will prob give u slightly better #'s
x does have some nice lowend torque tho and can really tear it up on the streets
so basically vortec slightly better #'s and track times
x gets into boost quicker driving around town
turbo will crushem both tho
Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by killdar
first off I'd go w/ the intercooled x, which will porob be 1k more so we're talking about the same price. intercoolers new so not on the site but they have great cust service there if you call.
turbo will give you the best #'s
vortec will prob give u slightly better #'s
x does have some nice lowend torque tho and can really tear it up on the streets
so basically vortec slightly better #'s and track times
x gets into boost quicker driving around town
turbo will crushem both tho
I'd say this is a good even handed assesement. They all have their strengths. It's really going to come down to what your goals are.

For me it came down to the fact that I spend little time at the drag strip, but quite a lot on the street (I'm not meaning street racing mind you, I just like to have some real torque on tap when the open road beckons).

I also enjoy autocross type events, and the low end, near instant power offered by the "X" is a good match for this type use.

The whine under boost that the Eaton blower makes is like music to my ears, so that's a plus too. I also tend to do several car shows every year, and if there's a better looking kit for the 4.0L than the "X", I have yet to see it.

You really need to decide what your particular style and goals are, and then fit the F/I system chosen to satisfy that.

p.s. The X-Charger is not a twin screw blower. It's an advanced Roots type design. A lot of people confuse the two since they're somewhat similar.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 02-20-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Also another thing to consdier, whether you like whine or not. The X is loud.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
Also another thing to consdier, whether you like whine or not. The X is loud.
Loud in what way? At idle/part throttle mine doesn't sound any different than a bone stock car. You only notice sound under heavy boost, and then it's just the characteristic whine.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The vortech I had would whine a little, but I didnt buy it for the sound.
Either setup is a good setup. The x with intercooler is a long-awaited setup.

As long as you do go with an intercooler, you'll be able to run more boost and hence more power.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

yeah i wouldnt call the x loud, you def notice it when you get on it, but it isnt deafining, its just a nice, clearly noticable supercharger whine
I do gotta say if I floor it from a dead stop and smoke the tires a bit, the sc nwhine plus the exhaust w/ long tubes...its an amazing sound
Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

How do you like your SSW LTs? I am just afraid of that tin-ish sound, how are yours?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?