Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Dual Exhaust Problem??

Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I had this exact same problem. There is actually a TSB that relates to this. There are 2 hangers on your exhaust near your transmission, the dealership had to remove mine to stop the vibration. They are only needed during assembly. Easiest thing to do is just get under there and remove the rubber hanger portion and the vibration will stop. Took me forever to find this solution.

Interesting. After having driven it this weekend, I notice the vibration occurring at two times. First, when I come to a stop at a stop light. Second, when I put the car in reverse and am turning the wheel.

When did you notice the vibrations?

Thanks for the information. I will be taking this into the shop tomorrow and will pass this info along to them Hopefully it'll get me in and out fast!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I removed the pipe hangers at the crossmember also.

Helped reduce the cabin noise. I didn't have the vibration problem, but that mod is supposed to help with some types of vibration.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sublime00
When I had my duals installed on my V6, initially, the passenger side muffler was mounted too far back and the peg through the hanger was contacting the rear bumper causing a nasty noise/vibration. Make sure nothing is contacting the body.
I'm thinking its gonna be this, when I first installed the GT takeoffs I had, I noticed the driver side was longer so I had it grinded down. When it came time to throw on the GTB's I had bought, I had forgotten to grind the peg down and it cause the vibration you mention. Only in reverse and at a stop...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Biceps
Interesting. After having driven it this weekend, I notice the vibration occurring at two times. First, when I come to a stop at a stop light. Second, when I put the car in reverse and am turning the wheel.

When did you notice the vibrations?

Thanks for the information. I will be taking this into the shop tomorrow and will pass this info along to them Hopefully it'll get me in and out fast!
Exactly the same. Mine was at idle, or when stopping and in reverse, around 600ish rpm's. Just remove those hangers and it will stop
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Voltigasm

Man, I'm glad I found this topic. Currently I have the same problem with that nasty rattling, but it seems to also occur for me at the 1600-1800rpm region. (any gear)
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Exactly the same. Mine was at idle, or when stopping and in reverse, around 600ish rpm's. Just remove those hangers and it will stop
Well, I took my car in today. Everything was checked, bolts tightened up, clearance space was verified, nothing is touching the body. I even had those hangers coming off the pipes (that sit close to the cats) removed. I still have that damn noise when I am at a stop and in reverse! LOL! So annoying.

The hangers you had removed...where those by the cats, or closer to the actual mufflers? The sound seems to be coming from the driven side muffler. I am going to have to have my wife help me tonight and see if we can't nail down exactly where that noise is coming from.

And if all else fails...back to the shop she goes.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

when i had this same kit on my v6 instaled it did the same thing. However after i got a tune it stopped. Probably the different idle helped out
Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Voltigasm
Man, I'm glad I found this topic. Currently I have the same problem with that nasty rattling, but it seems to also occur for me at the 1600-1800rpm region. (any gear)
I have only noticed it in 1st gear when I am at a stop and when I am in reverse.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
when i had this same kit on my v6 instaled it did the same thing. However after i got a tune it stopped. Probably the different idle helped out
Prior to installing the FRPP V6 dual kit, about 8 months prior I had installed the FRPP cold air intake and did the ProCal tune on the engine. At the time I also had a Flow Master American Thunder single exhaust muffler on the car. I called the tech line at Ford Racing and they said that a re-tune was not needed when installing the FRPP duals, but at this point it might be helpful. Either that, or my car is learning how to breath with the new dual exhaust and this is just part of the process. Lost at this point!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Biceps
Well, I took my car in today. Everything was checked, bolts tightened up, clearance space was verified, nothing is touching the body. I even had those hangers coming off the pipes (that sit close to the cats) removed. I still have that damn noise when I am at a stop and in reverse! LOL! So annoying.

The hangers you had removed...where those by the cats, or closer to the actual mufflers? The sound seems to be coming from the driven side muffler. I am going to have to have my wife help me tonight and see if we can't nail down exactly where that noise is coming from.

And if all else fails...back to the shop she goes.
No tune is needed to install the FRPP.. but most custom tunes will increase the idle a little which helps. And yes the hangers by the cats are the one.. if you still have rattle make sure your muffler isn't touching the bumper... anything else I am not sure of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRPP Dual Exhaust Problem??