Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Dual Exhaust Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default UPDATE

Hey guys, thought I would come back and give everyone an update. Good news!!!

After researching posts of other people who have had this same problem with the FRPP kit, I noticed that they all had found a common solution. Each hanger that is mounted to the passenger side is held to the car body with two screws - One in front, one in back (2 screws per hanger, a total of 4 screws on the passenger side).

When I looked at the hangers on my drivers side, I noticed that each hanger was mounted to the body with only ONE screw (one screw for the front hanger, one screw in the back hanger). Each hanger is suppose to be mounted to the under body with 2 screws. Turns out that where the hanger met the body that did not have a screw holding it in place - THAT is where the vibration was coming from! Metal contacting metal.

So I drove out to Lowe's, bought two metric flange screws for automotive use, and took my car back to the shop to have them installed. I tried doing it myself, but what I found is that the hole in the under body of the car that the second screw is to fit into is NOT threaded. So I had to take it back to the shop, have them put it on the lift, and create the threads inside the hole so that the screws could fit in there properly. Why this wasn't noticed in the 3 times I brought it into the shop...who knows. That lack of attention to detail may have cost them future business. Anyways...

Now, I purchased this kit through CJponyparts.com and when the UPS guy was wheeling the box up to my door step, the box was beat to hell and bolts where falling out of it as I brought it inside. It is possible that the bolts fell out of the box during shipping. I mean, CJponyparts did a really $#itty job securing the box that this FRPP dual exhaust kit came in...big gaping holes simply because the exhaust kit weighed SO much. However, when I called CJponyparts they did verify that I received the correct number of screws. To their credit they were very helpful and professional on the phone. So maybe Ford Racing simply did not include enough mounting screws with their kit. Who knows. It was a pain in the *** either way after dropping $575 on the kit and $200 in labor for the install.

But I am happy to say that adding those two additional screws (one for each hanger mount) made a world of difference and resolved the annoying resonance/vibration that I was hearing in reverse, at 1500 rpm's, and when coming to a stop.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that I had TWO additional hangers welded to my pipes (for additional stability) at about the middle of my car....just after the X as the pipes snake down to the mufflers. That too, combined with the added screws, fixed this problem 100%. The two additional hangers welded to my pipes cost about $85.

Anyways, to anyone in the future who has this same issue, I really hope this post helps you out. It seems to be the common culprit behind this issue.

Last edited by Biceps; 04-24-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the update
Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Biceps
So yesterday I had my FRPP True Dual Exhaust kit for my V6 professionally installed. Absolutely LOVE IT and it makes a HUGE difference in the fun factor of driving.

However, I am noticing that when I am in reverse there is a really loud vibration that rattles my cabin and I hear it underneath the car....like my car isn't use to the dual exhaust. I have also noticed this after having driven it for a while. For example, when I pull up to a stop light and stop, that strong vibration kicks in a little. Not as much as when I am in reverse, but noticeable. It does not always happen when I am in reverse, but it happens enough to have me concerned.
DEFINE 'PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED' BECAUSE IT SOUNDS
LIKE THE INSTALLERS DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THINGS RIGHT CEPT SPEND YOUR $$.

I am thinking that maybe my car's PCM is just getting use to the "new way of breathing/exhaling", but I am not sure. I also notice that my normal idling RPM's have gone from 750rpm down to around 500rpm. Is this normal? Or should I take it back into the body shop and have it looked at?
THE PCM SEES THE SAME O2 READINGS AND IT DONT 'BREATTH
ANY BETTER THAN THE OEM EXHAUST, SO NO THE PCM DONT SEE YOUR
DUALS...

I would think it would be comparable to an athlete with a really well developed cardiovascular system. His resting heart rate/idling is going to be lower than a normal guy who doesn't have a fine tuned cardiovascular system. Maybe I am wrong. What do you guys think?
WRONG
Thanks for the help guys
iT just sounds better, thats all for $699.
fricken caps lock
disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and follow the
adaptive relearning procedure in the owners manual
for your RPMs to get back to normal as before....
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear you got it figured out and it was something very basic.