Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Dual Exhaust Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default FRPP Dual Exhaust Problem??

So yesterday I had my FRPP True Dual Exhaust kit for my V6 professionally installed. Absolutely LOVE IT and it makes a HUGE difference in the fun factor of driving.

However, I am noticing that when I am in reverse there is a really loud vibration that rattles my cabin and I hear it underneath the car....like my car isn't use to the dual exhaust. I have also noticed this after having driven it for a while. For example, when I pull up to a stop light and stop, that strong vibration kicks in a little. Not as much as when I am in reverse, but noticeable. It does not always happen when I am in reverse, but it happens enough to have me concerned.

I am thinking that maybe my car's PCM is just getting use to the "new way of breathing/exhaling", but I am not sure. I also notice that my normal idling RPM's have gone from 750rpm down to around 500rpm. Is this normal? Or should I take it back into the body shop and have it looked at?

I would think it would be comparable to an athlete with a really well developed cardiovascular system. His resting heart rate/idling is going to be lower than a normal guy who doesn't have a fine tuned cardiovascular system. Maybe I am wrong. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

To me that kinda sounds like a loose mounting bracket or clamp. Is it a vibration, like metal on metal, or more of an air leak? As new pipes heat up and cool down a few times, sometimes you need to retighten the clamps. I've heard of that happening, the installer didn't really do anything wrong, it just happens.

I don't think that the comp has to get used to the exhaust. More likely a loose clamp or mount.

FYI, they may also smell funny for a few hundred miles. The pipes have an oil on them that has to burn off.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Sublime00
1st Gear Member

When I had my duals installed on my V6, initially, the passenger side muffler was mounted too far back and the peg through the hanger was contacting the rear bumper causing a nasty noise/vibration. Make sure nothing is contacting the body.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Things get tight under there, you may have to turn a pipe to one side or the other for clearance. Make sure there isn't anything contacting the body and all the hangers are tight.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sublime00
When I had my duals installed on my V6, initially, the passenger side muffler was mounted too far back and the peg through the hanger was contacting the rear bumper causing a nasty noise/vibration. Make sure nothing is contacting the body.

When I did my duals had the same problem but was the drivers side had to grind down the peg on the hanger a little only did it when the exhaust was hot and the length of the exhaust expanded.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
To me that kinda sounds like a loose mounting bracket or clamp. Is it a vibration, like metal on metal, or more of an air leak? As new pipes heat up and cool down a few times, sometimes you need to retighten the clamps. I've heard of that happening, the installer didn't really do anything wrong, it just happens.

I don't think that the comp has to get used to the exhaust. More likely a loose clamp or mount.

FYI, they may also smell funny for a few hundred miles. The pipes have an oil on them that has to burn off.
I called the shop and they pretty much said exactly what you said. Likely a lose clamp or mount that needs adjusting. I have an appointment set to bring her back in and get checked out/readjusted.

Also, I totally forgot to mention that funny smell. I did notice that and thought "WTF is that!" LOL! Glad you mentioned that Puts me at ease on that issue.

Good pointers guys on making sure nothing is contacting that body. I will have the shop double check that for me. The vibration seems to happen when the car is warm, so maybe as the metal expands something IS contacting the body, causing that vibration.

Last edited by Biceps; 02-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Check the stuff that people have mentioned.

But 500 rpm idle is too low. I think factory spec is somewhere around 650.

If the idle is too low, the engine can stumble. So when you stop, and your rpms drop, you'll get shaking from the misfiring.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I had this exact same problem. There is actually a TSB that relates to this. There are 2 hangers on your exhaust near your transmission, the dealership had to remove mine to stop the vibration. They are only needed during assembly. Easiest thing to do is just get under there and remove the rubber hanger portion and the vibration will stop. Took me forever to find this solution.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

If the hoist that they lift the car up with doesn't keep the weight on the tires, there are a lot of thing that you won't be able to see. As the weight lifts off the ground, clearance between the exhaust and the DS, rear end, suspension, all changes. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
Check the stuff that people have mentioned.

But 500 rpm idle is too low. I think factory spec is somewhere around 650.

If the idle is too low, the engine can stumble. So when you stop, and your rpms drop, you'll get shaking from the misfiring.
It is moreso around 650 rpm and not the 500 I said earlier. when I knelt down and took a closer look at it, it was between 500-750. Still...has me concerned.

Quick Reply: FRPP Dual Exhaust Problem??