Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Altimas Need Not Apply

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Default Altimas Need Not Apply

I just thought I'd share a humorous event that took place this morning while on my way home from work. I work graveyard shift so for the rest of you, your seven o'clock in the morning is my ten o'clock at night. So anyway, I'm on my way home from work and like most mornings that means I'm driving in the midst of a lot of people who are going to work. Like most places I suppose, there are a lot of drivers that for some reason think that driving to work requires being an overly aggressive asswipe behind the wheel. You see where this is going.

So anyway, I'm sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn left down an interstate on ramp. There are two lanes to turn left, I'm in the left hand of the two. I look in my rearview mirror and there is an Altima coming up behind me and as it gets closer the guy driving it suddenly changes into the right hand lane and ends up right next to me at the light. Right away I know what this guy is all about. There are certain kinds of drivers that I just despise. I hate drivers that throw trash out of the window of their cars and it doesn't matter how small it is. Throw it in a trash can jerkweed. I hate drivers that poke along at 5 to 10 mph below the speed limit and then speed up when you try to pass them. I hate drivers that cut people off in traffic. But above all, I truly loathe these people who are out there in their grocery getter midsize family sedans and trying to drive them like they own a BMW 5 series. This is who is next to me at the light in his wannabe sports car Altima. I know what his intentions are. When the light changes he will gun his motor and try to slip over in front of me real quick so he can speed off down the interstate in some fantasy world where his POS Altima is a high performance sports sedan.

I don't know what kind of V6 Mustang owners this moron usually encounters, and lets face it, a lot of V6 owners are pretty laid back and would probably just let this guy act out his little fantasy. But this morning I was in no mood so mister Altima got a dose of reality instead. When the light changed, sure as s**t the whole front of his car lifted as he tried to launch ahead of me. Well the first thing he discovered is that an Altima doesn't corner nearly as well as a Mustang and he had the added disadvantage of being on the outside of the curve. I cut the corner sharp and put my foot down. I don't have any modifications mind you, just a stock 4.0. It didn't matter though because within a matter of seconds this chump is rapidly getting smaller in my rearview mirror. To make matters worse on himself there is some guy in an 06 or 07 GT behind us and he decides to cut that guy off by moving into the left lane that he wanted all along. I don't know what the GT driver did but I was thinking "buddy, you just got your *** smoked by a V6 Mustang, do you really want to tie up with that GT now?"

So anyway, I'm off down the interstate doing about 80 and the speed limit is 70. It's a six lane area and I'm all the way to the right because my exit is coming up pretty quick. Sure as hell, about thirty seconds later, here comes captain Altima off in the left hand lanes. I'm already 10 mph over the limit and he's blazing past everyone on the interstate. The guy had to be doing at least 100 or so in some defiant act to proove to himself that his grocery getting, japanesse crap box really is some sort of magnificient contribution to speed and beauty. I just laughed as I took my exit.

Note to midsize family sedan drivers. If you want a sports car, get a sports car. Driving your 4 door suburban family man status symbol like it's a porsche 911 just makes you look stupid, especially when you come up against someone in an actual sports car. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 05-05-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Haha nice kill. This will probably be moved to the street/strip section.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Me thinks if the car was the 3.5 version the story might have had a different outcome. Usually the 3.5's are driven by 40 year old+ drivers and the asshats usually ride in the 2.5's thinking they are Ricky Bobby Jr.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

the 3.5 still a pretty big car. the weight vs power on the 3.5 altima suckss. on a side note the newest altima four doors are very comfy cars, i wouldnt mind owning one.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I won't classify this as a street/strip issue, but more as a stupid people driving issue. I get stupid people that do that stuff all the time. It irritates the crap out of me.

As long as this topic stays about stupid drivers and not about "street racing" it can stay.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

The 3.5 Altimas run deep into the 14's without a problem. A friend of mine with an 02 Maxima (the heavier version of the Altima) is running 14.2's @ 99 with just an intake.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea the old maxs are pretty fast
my friend has one and were neck and neck in the 1/4
but when we go to the autox course he cant keep up lol
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Im sure this altima was a 2.5.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Yeah I drive a 24' long truck all day long so I encounter a lot of stupid drivers.
I hate drivers that want to hurry up to pass you just so they can turn.....what an idiot! Or people who do not know how to merge.
About two months ago while out driving my Mustang on I-64 a riced out neon green Honda with a black hood got beside me (I'm going 60) and revved his engine. My window was rolled down and I said, "Don't waste my time!" I think that irritated him cause he took the next exit.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking it must have been the 4 cylinder model as well. Either that or the guy just didn't know how to drive. According to the stats I've seen the 3.5 model is just a hair faster than a 4.0 Mustang, which is to say that once they get on the street where there are a lot of variables the two are probably neck and neck. At any rate, the guy is just one of those drivers that irritates me to no end with the "I have to be in front of everybody" mentality and the overly aggressive driving style that comes along with that. It's the first time since I bought my new Mustang that I actually really put my foot in it and it responded very well. That guy was just in the wrong place at the right time and maybe he learned that his junkly little Altima isn't quite the hardcore performance machine he thinks it is. But probably not. lol

Quick Reply: Altimas Need Not Apply