Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My Theory About V6 / V8 and how stupid people are

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Default My Theory About V6 / V8 and how stupid people are

The other day I'm getting ready to leave work and the next shift is relieving us. I had brought the current issue of Car and Driver to work to read during the down time because it had the Pony Car match up between the new V6 and V8 Mustang vs the current Camaro. As we are leaving I lay the magazine on the console for one of the guys that is relieving us to read and told him I was done with it and he was welcome to it. He's a young guy in his early 20's. He picks up the magazine and notices that the V6's are part of the story. This is what he says "V6 models? Man the V6's don't matter." He doesn't know that I drive a 2010 V6. So anyway I say to him, "The new V6 is 305 hp man." His response? "It don't matter. V6's don't matter."

This brings me to my theory. First of all, as we all know, the 2011 V6 with 305 hp will be as fast as the Mustang GT of the last 5 years and faster that any Mustang GT before 2005. You would probably have to go back to big block 60's era Mustangs to find a GT that is faster than the 2011 V6 in stock configuration and then maybe. Couple that with 31 mpg highway from the new V6 and it stands head and shoulders above almost any Mustang GT prior to this point in time. So to say that the 2011 V6 dosen't matter is the same as saying that every Mustang GT for the last 30 some odd years doesn't matter because it's a better car.

Now, he's just a kid in his early 20's who doesn't know anything about cars and he's just running his mouth so I don't pay him much mind. But it brings me to my point. See if you agree. Let's say that Ford built the V6 and GT Mustang with the exact same body. That is to say that the GT had no grill mounted fog lamps, dual exhaust and GT emblem to distinguish it from the V6. You could do it in reverse too I suppose, put fog lamps, dual exhaust and a GT emblem on the V6. The point is, they look exactly the same on the exterior. I would bet good money that 80 to 85% of the populaton would get behind the wheel of even the 4.0 V6, thinking it was a GT, drive the car and would still think it was a GT when they got done. All of us who have driven a stock V6 know that Ford has put an exhaust on their to make the V6 sound more like a V8. I think the vast majority of people, if they didn't know it was a V6, would drive the V6, thinking it was a GT and would still think that after they drove it. Furthermore, I would bet that 40 to 50% of the population could raise the hood when they got done driving the car and would still think the V6 was a GT because they don't have a clue what they are looking at. What do you guys think?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I think you have a chip on your shoulder. It doesn't matter what other people think. If everybody thought the same way the world would be a boring place
Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
Furthermore, I would bet that 40 to 50% of the population could raise the hood when they got done driving the car and would still think the V6 was a GT because they don't have a clue what they are looking at. What do you guys think?
^^^ HAHAHA +1
Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 PM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

your theory makes complete sense, but dont pay much attention to thos people. if someone could simply say, "v6's dont matter" then right off the bat you know they dont know much about cars.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
lostnight
2nd Gear Member

Good answer. And that is one good lucking 4.0.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

who cares? like you said most dont know anything about cars or v6 vs v8 either. Drive what makes you happy.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I understand where you are coming from, but you said it yourself. That guys opinion doesnt matter.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:43 PM
martingz

Whitehorse, you will get some negative feedback on this from the core GT people (probably most in the young age groups) – You are however correct. The general public doesn’t even know there is a GT and Non-GT. Most don’t know there is a base v6, premium V6, base GT and premium GT, and also the Shelby’s. When you think about it a Mustang can go from a $22K car to well over $50K, and you can purchase a V6 that actually costs more than a GT. I can think of few cars that have that kind of price range. If someone is buying a car to impress others, the Mustang is probably not a good choice. If you buy a high end GT, not many people are going to consider it a 40-50K car – because they have no idea. I have some friends that think it is great I drive a Mustang and others that think I should "upgrade" to something else... I often tell the latter, the Mustang is a great value, with lots of features and it continues to be a fun drive. My 2011 is supposed to be here in about a week. This time I almost bought a 370Z, a well built car with plenty of HP (332). I open the door to test drive and it feels like a little toy. I sit in it and my hair hits the roof and there is no way other than leaning the seat way back to clear. But in all honesty a fun drive too. But while the V6’s are sounding better, there isn’t anything quite like the sound of a Mustang V8, and now that they are up to 412HP – well there will still be a big difference between models, but really only in HP and some handling (I also have to say that new V8 engine looks so much better than the V6). Ford sent me a survey a few years back asking in future models did I want more HP or MPG. I chose MPG… While HP is great, those speed limit signs keep getting in the way. What I have to do every day is get to work – safely (Mustang has a 5 star crash rating) – economically (31 MPG) – enjoy the ride (Jukebox/SAT/HD 500 Watt Shaker) – watch the road (NAV system with traffic alerts) – punch it a little to get out of the way (305 HP) – and feel like a kid again (Ambient lighting). I did all of that, helped support a US company and still saved thousands… not bad.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

This is a never ending pissing match. Be happy with your car, as I'm sure you are! The only place where I get crap for having a six is on this site, and not in the real world! Here people can hide behind a computer and tell you what ever they want.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 PM
MustangMike908
1st Gear Member

new V6 isn't just as fast at the 2005-2010 GTs. The new GTs have more Torque than the new V6, similar HP, but more Torque.

But yes, this kid along with much of today's population have no knowledge when it comes to cars.

V6 mustangs, especially the 2011, are great cars to drive and deserve more respect. Even tho I own a GT, I wouldn't mind having a V6 instead. They are both great cars.

And once I get some more money, I plan to buy another car, possibly another mustang, and it will definetly be a V6 for daily driving that has decent gas mileage

Quick Reply: My Theory About V6 / V8 and how stupid people are