Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ported/polished Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default Ported/polished Throttle Body

I ordered a ported/polished TB for my 4.0L from Jerry Strannigan a couple weeks back and I just received it. Jerry is an experienced racer and performance modder, and he's started offering TB's for the 4.0L that he's reworked for better flow. His rates are VERY reasonable.

Overall, very nice. the bore is opened up and smoothed. butterfly shaft is converted to 1/2 shaft, and flush screws (well secured) are used for the butterfly. Jerry even gives his units a nice light exterior polish for looks. I won't get a chance to toss it on until tomorrow at the earliest, but so far I'm impressed.

(sorry for the pic quality, the throttle butterfly has such a high mirror polish on it that it's tough getting decent shots without reflection glare ruining them totally).

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 06-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Any HP gain?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Looks interesting how do we get in contact with him?

Oh and would this require a reflash?

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 06-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

No reflash needed. Probably worth a couple HP on a normally aspirated car, more on an F/I setup. A several of the guys over on the Collective have reported satisfaction with Jerry's TBs.

Jerry's email is plenum1@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Looks great!, is it much of a difference then an BBK or so?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

ive always been told aftermarket TB's are huge mistakes, with very little hp gain and alot of times, theyl get stuck closed so youl have to take off the air inlet and move the plate open yourself. ive heard it ALOT. tell us how this works. maybe this will be the first of the TB's that actually work.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I guess you can upgrade (TB & Plenum) for all sorts of reasons. Eventhough I'm installing a blower, performance wasnt on my mine. I wanted to dress up the engine a little so I decided to go with the polish look. I really dont think the TB & Plenum are that much of a difference in HP. Everyone says go with Accufab but I've decided to go with Stack Racing. I just couldnt see myself spending all most 500 bucks for a mod that's not going to produce much RWHP. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
ive always been told aftermarket TB's are huge mistakes, with very little hp gain and alot of times, theyl get stuck closed so youl have to take off the air inlet and move the plate open yourself. ive heard it ALOT. tell us how this works. maybe this will be the first of the TB's that actually work.
True story, my buddy has a BBK on his 06 GT and it has nothing but problems. A few times it has gotten stuck closed, one time he actually had the car towed from the side of 75 because he didn't have the tools with him to fix it. About 3 weeks ago the throttle body just stopped working something with the gears in it, he's replaced with with Ford's TB.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I wasn't going to go into the BBK thing, as the last time there was a discussion of the reliability of aftermarket TBs, some BBK employee jumped into it with his panties in a huge twist, claiming that people were either exagerrating the reported issues, or that they were self inflicted by people not installing them right. I didn't want to open that can o' worms again.

Jerry's thing is just reworking a factory TB to improve the airflow characteristics. The stock electronics and mechanical parts of the TB remain, so I'm not really worried about reliability/driveability issues.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Just thought I'd add some pics of the stock TB for comparison. Note the multiple sharp ridges in the body, hugely overlength screws, etc:

Stock:

Modded:

Stock:

Modded:

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 06-09-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Ported/polished Throttle Body