Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can't find this part...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default Can't find this part...

Does anybody know where I can find a trans crossmember assembly with exhaust mounts and isolators for the hangers to slide into? See attached document below. These were removed from all mustangs produced after 12/03/07, with mine being one of them.

However, I NEED them!

A little back story...I had the FRPP true dual exhaust kit installed a while back. Had a nasty vibration noise at idle, and when in reverse too (allowing the idling rpm's to carry the car in reverse). In addition, the vibration would get worse when I turn my A/C on too.

I had everything verified to make sure no contact was being made with the body.

Had additional hangers welded on. It fixed the problem, but introduced new vibrations and problems. So I had the hangers removed, but it did tell me I do have an exhaust stability problem, and that the FRPP kit requires the trans crossmember assembly with exhaust hanger mounts and isolators for proper stability.

My trans crossmember assembly does not have the hanger mounts since it was produced after 12/03/07. Ugh.

Every shop I have visited is saying I NEED additional support for my exhaust system...that having the pipes held up by the cats and muffler hangers is allowing too much room for vibrations.

Without having to visit a junk yard and searching for a scrapped 05-07 mustang, does anyone know where I can find a trans crossmember mount with the exhaust hanger mounts and isolators?

Thanks guys
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08-23-04.pdf (115.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Good luck. I put on the NTO/Pypes/GT duals about 5 weeks ago. Had the same concern about those cross member hangers. There are none on my '09. After much research, finding the service bulletin about why they were eliminated, and someone from Pypes telling me they weren't needed, I put the duals on without them. After about 200 miles, I had the same bad vibration that I think you are talking about. It would come and go if I set at an idle, and shifted between, drive, neutral and reverse. I found my problem. The farthest rear hanger on the driver side muffler would rub on the back of the rear bumper cross member support. It would only do this after driving at least a half hour, and everything was warmed up. I suppose it would expand when hot, just enough to rub on the cross member. Amazingly I was able to get my sawsall between the bumper cover and cut off about a 1/2" of the rod. Works fine, never had the problem again. Passenger side already had about that much clearance. I have driven about another 600 miles since finding the problem, everything now seems to be fine. Also, the exhaust seems to be great, no sags or leaks. Hope you get lucky, and find the same problem, or at least an easy fix....
Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
Good luck. I put on the NTO/Pypes/GT duals about 5 weeks ago. Had the same concern about those cross member hangers. There are none on my '09. After much research, finding the service bulletin about why they were eliminated, and someone from Pypes telling me they weren't needed, I put the duals on without them. After about 200 miles, I had the same bad vibration that I think you are talking about. It would come and go if I set at an idle, and shifted between, drive, neutral and reverse. I found my problem. The farthest rear hanger on the driver side muffler would rub on the back of the rear bumper cross member support. It would only do this after driving at least a half hour, and everything was warmed up. I suppose it would expand when hot, just enough to rub on the cross member. Amazingly I was able to get my sawsall between the bumper cover and cut off about a 1/2" of the rod. Works fine, never had the problem again. Passenger side already had about that much clearance. I have driven about another 600 miles since finding the problem, everything now seems to be fine. Also, the exhaust seems to be great, no sags or leaks. Hope you get lucky, and find the same problem, or at least an easy fix....
That was incredibly helpful, and thank you. Do you have any pics you can take and upload of the "back of the rear bumper cross member support." I think I know where you're talking about, but not 100% certain.

Also, just out of curiosity, what are your idling RPM's at? 550? 700?

Yes, my vibrations happen only when the car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a while. I never have the issue when the engine is cold.

I really hope the solution you found to your problem is the solution to mine. Seems like every shop I visit is concerned about the lack of "center support" for the exhaust. However, Ford Racing swears that I don't need hangers at the transmission cross-member mount. It's been frustrating to say the least....I spent $600 for the kit, $200 on the install, about $100 is searching for solutions....LOL!!! I just want to enjoy my new exhaust system for once!!

Thanks again Twstones.

Last edited by Biceps; 07-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
jtr_83_5.0

At risk of sounding like a site advocate I'll say that I bought a Tranny crossmember for my '83 from http://www.50resto.comwhen I wanted to run true dual exhaust cause the stock crossmember was only designed for one pipe. I'm not sure but they might have a part that will help you get some extra support for your pipes.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtr_83_5.0
At risk of sounding like a site advocate I'll say that I bought a Tranny crossmember for my '83 from http://www.50resto.comwhen I wanted to run true dual exhaust cause the stock crossmember was only designed for one pipe. I'm not sure but they might have a part that will help you get some extra support for your pipes.
Thanks for the site Very much appreciated! I checked there last night and didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
jtr_83_5.0

No problem sorry you didn't find what your needing, maybe you could get the hanger assembly from a pre 12/03/07 car, i doubt that part gets replaced very much so you probably wont have much luck trying to order it at a parts store, you might just have to get a buddy to help you fab one up... anyway good luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtr_83_5.0
No problem sorry you didn't find what your needing, maybe you could get the hanger assembly from a pre 12/03/07 car, i doubt that part gets replaced very much so you probably wont have much luck trying to order it at a parts store, you might just have to get a buddy to help you fab one up... anyway good luck!
Thanks I am going to put some calls into the junk yards around here, see what I can find. Talked to Ford and they said they cannot order that part, that I'd need to call around to junk yards...wtf. LOL!

I did try having some metal hangers welded onto my pipes at the trans cross member mount location, and while that did eliminate the problem, it creates a horribly vibration that rattled the whole car at 850 and 1500 RPMs.

I think the hanger assemblies from the pre 12/03/07 cars work because the hangers (being held in a rubber gromet) still allowed the exhaust system plenty of "flex room" to move...albeit minor. The metal hangers I had welded on held those pipes SO FIRMLY in place that the pipes could not flex and breathe. The stability was just too rigid, leading to the vibrations I had.

I'll update if/when I get this resolved.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
That was incredibly helpful, and thank you. Do you have any pics you can take and upload of the "back of the rear bumper cross member support." I think I know where you're talking about, but not 100% certain.

Also, just out of curiosity, what are your idling RPM's at? 550? 700?

Yes, my vibrations happen only when the car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a while. I never have the issue when the engine is cold.

I really hope the solution you found to your problem is the solution to mine. Seems like every shop I visit is concerned about the lack of "center support" for the exhaust. However, Ford Racing swears that I don't need hangers at the transmission cross-member mount. It's been frustrating to say the least....I spent $600 for the kit, $200 on the install, about $100 is searching for solutions....LOL!!! I just want to enjoy my new exhaust system for once!!

Thanks again Twstones.
Sorry it took so long to get back on this, I've been out of town for a few days spending some time on the beach in South Haven. The mufflers are held in place in the hangers by 2 long "L" shaped rods, one toward the front and one toward the rear. They slide in the rubber grommet of the actual hanger. The one towards the rear points toward the back of the bumper brace/cross memer. (This is a metal cross member connected to the end of the two frame members that the muffler hangers mount to) The outer side of this cross member is what holds the outer bumper in place. If the end of the rear rod is touching the cross member, it will vibrate throughout the whole car. Mine didn't seem to do this until the exhaust system was totally warmed up, or at operating temperature. Expansion from the heat could move the end of the rod enough to touch the bumper brace/bracket. I found mine by letting the car sit at an idle, after warming up. I then tried to shake or wiggle both mufflers, and that's how I found out where it was rubbing. I'll try and get some pictures up sometime tomorrow, but if you do a search, someone had pictures up of exactly what I am talking about, about 3 days ago. Oh, about 550 rpm, when warmed up.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Okay, for those of you that need pictures...

This is the passenger side that was okay.

I put these in an album in my user page. I don't know why they are so small. Go to the album to see them bigger....

Last edited by Twstones; 07-10-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Twstones,

Wow, thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to the snap some photos and upload them here for me (and everyone else who may encounter this same problem), in addition to the detailed insight and explanations you wrote.

I got under my car and tugged and pulled on the muffler as hard as I could. Unfortunately, I could not get it to make contact with the back of the body, nor did I observe any rub marks where the hanger may have rubbed metal on metal. I even had my wife apply the e-brake while the car was all warmed up and making it's rattling noise, and I still could not identify a source for the vibrations.

Upon further inspection, it looks as though my passenger side mid pipe is rattling like crazy....as though it is lacking support. Drivers side mid pipe exhibits greater stability however.

Whatever the solution is, I'll post it up when I track it down.

Thanks again for all of your help