Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problem here: Sync not hearing me and this is why. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM
dellaventura

Just learned that there is a TSB concerning the Sync microphone. In this TSB, Ford can install a new microphone in the headliner or in my case (with a vert), who knows where .
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I believe that tsb is from pre-2010 isn't it? Either way you can install a mic on your A-Pillar easy enough.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
dellaventura

Don't know how accurate this is, but I'll let everyone know this afternoon when I go to the dealer.

Ford actually moved the mike from the mirror to the headliner on the job 2 and later 2010 models. Check with the dealer - you should be able to get the headliner mike and convert it yourself assuming it's just a plug-in unit.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
dellaventura

Unhappy

Well, I just got back from a local Ford dealership service dept., and they looked at me dumbfounded at the mere thought of installing a mike. I mentioned the possibility of installing it on the A-pillar, or headliner, and all I got back was: that worked on a 2009 Fushion, but on your car, it's iffy it would work.

They said they'd get back to me this afternoon, but based on their attitude and what they said, they want no part of this (no pun intended).

So, off to phone another Ford dealer. Ugh.

That dealer phoned back already, and I was told that the idea of using a mike and attaching it "ONLY works on all vehicles--EXCEPT the Mustang."
It's beginning to look like the apocalypse now idea (starting over) may be my only solution.

Last edited by dellaventura; 07-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM
dellaventura

Update: the second Ford dealership shot down any ideas, so now I'm left with the hope that a separate mike can be attached to sync, somehow, and put on the A-pillar, etc., and a place I trust/good reputation is willing to try this.

They seem to think there are two mikes, but isn't there only ONE needed? I mean, bluetooth doesn't get a mike, only sync, but I guess that's why they want the diagram of the harness of the factory mirror--to find out.

If this doesn't work, old mirror goes back on.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Not sure if this helps you, but I did a little research while trying to find you those schematics and found this:

"To fix issues with "SYNC - CALL SOUND QUALITY/BACKGROUND NOISE ISSUES AND/OR VOICE RECOGNITION DIFFICULTIES WHILE DRIVING" Ford has issued TSB 09-13-5 instructing the dealer service technician to replace the microphone in the rear view mirror with one mounted to the headliner."

If they can do that, and you can't have a mic wired to your headliner, maybe a ford tech can re-wire you a new mic to your new mirror.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
dellaventura

Yes, I mentioned the TSB thing to this Ford dealership, and he looked like I was speaking a foreign language and told me that was only for a 2009 Fusion. He said he would phone me back, though, after he talked with his people. Well, he phoned back and said that that would work on "all vehicles--EXCEPT what you have (Mustang)."

haha.

Well, it didn't make me laugh, but with my luck today, I actually did.

Thank you for that, though. It is helpful and I appreciate it. First nice car of my life and this had to happen; frustrating to say the least.

Dale
Old 07-17-2010, 05:23 AM
eurocobra

Try to get the SYNC retro kit or specifically the microphone cable and microphone. Not sure how interchangabe all parts are between the retro kit and the factory systems but more than likely you can mount the mics and run the cable harness to the SNYC module. No other modifications should be necessary. JUST AN IDEA. Let me know if this helps.

Try to get your old mirror and possibly locate an installer of the retro kits. You may score a direct trade. They may be able to wire in your mirror with the microphones on another vehicle and you can get the mic and cables from them.

I can email you the retro kit install diagram.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

After some researching it seems that you're having such a problem because there is no "jack" for the mic. It sits directly on a circuit board inside the mirror. The only thing that I've found that you can do is remove the entire circuit board w/mic from the mirror and fabricate or find a small plastic box or (one guy just wrapped it (except mic) in bubblewrap, move the wiring (that plugs into the mirror) to the A-pillar and drill or notch a hole for the mic and secure it there somehow (some 3m would probably work).

Anything short of that and I think you'll just have to choose between the sync and the new mirror...Maybe that body shop can help you get it out and relocate it...

I'd make sure they didn't cut the old wires before thinking of swapping back though...

Last edited by MOOK3456; 07-17-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM
dellaventura

1) I'm guessing that the directional compass was also a part of the mirror, correct? Must be the case because I'm no longer getting it on my display (next to the temperature readout).

2) Does Ford, in fact, make a reverse camera and accompanying mirror for the image, or must one go third party and (in my case) settle for the portable LCD monitor??

dale

Quick Reply: Problem here: Sync not hearing me and this is why. . .