Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

T-lok

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
torchredv6

Default T-lok

hey guys, i know you probably get these questions alot, sorry to be one of those people, but here's the deal

i have an 05 automatic, Steeda CAI,pypes td,tuner and a throttlebody spacer(for some reason)

i'm getting the ford racing 7.5 t-lok, the thing is i didn't get gears.

i wanted to ask you about your experience with this t-lok, is it worth it?

can i expect any better acceleration and 1/4 mile time with this?

i wanted to ask you also, what can i expect my 1/4 mile times to be, roughly. I haven't gone yet, i really don't want to make a fool of myself so i kinda hope to be somewhere in the 14's

thank you !
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I think it's easier to just get a GT take-off 8.8 rear axle with whatever gears you like already installed unless you're set on keeping the 7.5 for some reason.

They sell 'em here if you're curious. http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang-28.aspx
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

You'll get better traction which will translate into better acceleration. High 14's are possible given your mod list but probably not going to happen first time out. You'll want to have cool weather conditions with low humidity, your track should around sea level and you'll need some drag racing experience to get off the line well, otherwise you should be happy with mid 15's. Lighten it up as much as possible, 1/8 tank of gas, no spare or jack, no subs, etc will help. A custom performance tune made for high octane gas would be a big plus as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 PM
torchredv6

Originally Posted by jimkaray
You'll get better traction which will translate into better acceleration. High 14's are possible given your mod list but probably not going to happen first time out. You'll want to have cool weather conditions with low humidity, your track should around sea level and you'll need some drag racing experience to get off the line well, otherwise you should be happy with mid 15's. Lighten it up as much as possible, 1/8 tank of gas, no spare or jack, no subs, etc will help. A custom performance tune made for high octane gas would be a big plus as well.
well, i live in iceland, which gives me the advantage of weather conditions, no humidity. but mid 15's ? that's like..stock
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torchredv6
well, i live in iceland, which gives me the advantage of weather conditions, no humidity. but mid 15's ? that's like..stock
Its not as easy as it looks to launch and get everything down packed, its just repetition.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Its not as easy as it looks to launch and get everything down packed, its just repetition.
Exactly, the driver mod is the single biggest improvement needed when starting out. You didn't say if you have any track experience so I'm just making that assumption based on your post and giving you a conservative guess. In reality your car is very close to stock so your driving is going to be a huge factor in how well your going to equal or better the best that accomplished drivers have wrung out of a stock stang. The good news is your track Kvartmilubrautin is only 200 ft above sea level and your air conditions should be very good for max power. Hopefully you can get lots of passes in so you can improve quickly. Don't worry about being embarrassed and just have fun. If you're worried about what others are thinking then you won't be concentrating on driving and are sure to run poorly. Little mistakes add up big time to slow your et. Getting off the line is key so study your 60' times and work on getting down sub 2.2's and your doing well. Good luck and let us know how you run.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If you are spinning the one wheel peel during take-off,
then yes, the T-Loc will improve your times.
But if you have mastered the no one wheel peel, no
T-Loc take-off sequence, then no, your times will not improve.

Driving skills are everything.
Gears and T-Locs just improve them....

14.9 sec 94 MPH quarter mile bone stock here....

Then the mods came and those #s improved.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
I think it's easier to just get a GT take-off 8.8 rear axle with whatever gears you like already installed unless you're set on keeping the 7.5 for some reason.

They sell 'em here if you're curious. http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang-28.aspx
how much is it to get the whole axle installed as opposed to just the t-lok?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by antipeterleague
how much is it to get the whole axle installed as opposed to just the t-lok?
NTO is selling a 3.73 complete for V6 rear axle for $879 plus truck freight. Ninosport is selling the 7.5 t-lock for $219.95 with free shipping. Price wise, just to get T-Loc, the $219.95 is the better value if thats all you want. Going to the GT rear end offers parts designed to handle more torque of a V8 and should be built better than the 7.5. I'm curious what truck freight would be. Oh and installation of the axle is pretty simple, watch the NTO project Mustang videos from the link at NTO.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

yeah i think for me, personally, the t-loc will do. i'm not looking to have super power or anything. although an aluminum driveshaft woud be nice too.

Quick Reply: T-lok