Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pretty upset/disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Default Pretty upset/disappointed

Theres a few factories pretty close to my neighbor hood and about 8 years ago we noticed on our cars there were little specs onthe car and when you rub your hand accross the car it feels rough. When i was shopping for a new car i didn buy a white lancer that i was looking at for that reason. I knew that my car would get it a little bit but i had planned nad stil plan on moving out in a few months.
My mustang is dark blue and ive only had it about 3 months and the other night i was trying home with my arm rested out the window and i rubed my door and it felt gritty and basically already my car has the gritty feeling to it you cant see it but knowing its there has had me super upset. It sucks being 20 and workin towards a car thats one a few years old and its geting ruined but things i cant control. If anyone has any advice about ging to the EPA or any wax the might get some of the specs off please share. And i know i could get a car cover but i go to work every day and have school starting up soon so i will be coming and going alot it would be a huge hassle to cover and uncover it cause it is my daily driver
Old 08-01-2010, 06:08 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

sound like you need to clay bar your car. It will remove all the crap on the paint. do a search on google
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM
CWyler
3rd Gear Member

like Schapman said, clay bar should help... just BE CAREFUL!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

+1 for claybar. Very simple, and it's made exactly for what you describe--it will get the job done. Meguiars makes a decent kit, as does Mother's. I use Zaino, and the clay is a bit softer and more pliable (but gets stuck in seams easier--like where scoops meet your body panels...). Use whichever kit you prefer.

Anyway, wash your car first with a decent concentration of Dawn dish soap and warm water to strip off any old wax that may be sealing the grit/dust/fallout in, then claybar the entire vehicle according to the directions (making SURE you use some quick detail spray or a manufacturer-approved car wash soap/water mix--e.g. Zaino) to act as a lubricant. Also, if you drop the clay on the ground, THROW IT AWAY. It's DONE. Do not re-use, even if you knead and fold it (which you should be doing anyway as you use it). The grit it picks up from the ground can scratch your car in a horrible way if you re-use it. Be very careful not to drop it.

After claybar-ing (surface should be smooth at this point), thoroughly wash the vehicle per manufacturer directions to get any clay residue off, then apply any swirl removers (if needed--your choice), polish, and wax/topcoats in layers. It's important that you do this to replace the wax that you stripped off in the beginning.

After that, you should be back to smooth. Many people do this when they first get their vehicle, especially if it's been on a lot, or transported by rail (rail dust from railcar wheels/brakes can embed in vehicle finishes). Depending on where you live and any industrial fallout in that area, you may have to do this whole process once or twice a year. It can be a little time consuming, but the good news is that it's a simple and straightforward fix to exactly the problem you're describing.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

I should probably add, since people have asked: neither the Dawn wash nor the claybar affects your clearcoat. The Dawn will strip the wax that sits atop the clearcoat, and the claybar removes particulate matter that has embedded itself in the clearcoat. Your paint itself (thin layers) is not exposed during this process.

Using swirl mark remover can blend clearcoat, however, and rubbing compound can get down to the paint. Be careful when using those types of products.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys i appreciate the info, ive been in such a bad mood sence i found out the "specs" were already on my stang. I hope the clay bar will take care of it, i really cant afford a good paint job right now. Ill let you guys know how it goes once i attempt itor if i have anymore questons
Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

lol I think I'd be a bit more concerned with what exactly the specs are made of seeing as you must be breathing it in daily as well.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Iam concerned. Im hoping to move out soon i just have to wait for my friends to get jobs so i can afford rent on campus. We called out the EPA or somthing about 8 years ago and they didnt give a ****. So its basically fighting a lost cause
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpormen
Iam concerned. Im hoping to move out soon i just have to wait for my friends to get jobs so i can afford rent on campus. We called out the EPA or somthing about 8 years ago and they didnt give a ****. So its basically fighting a lost cause
You should try it again with the tree huggers in office . But on a more serious note the clay bar as stated above will def. get rid of that feel and a good wax after clay barring will seal the coat so that hopefully it won't stick like that much anymore. You don't need a new paint job lol. Is there anyways you can get this stuff in a picture? I have an idea what you're talking about but I want to see if its visible.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Theres no way youll be able to see it on the mustang, but we got a few other cars weve had awhile. We got an old chevy truck and my cutlass i use to drive ill try to see if i can get a pic of it on there. My dad had restored a 1971 elcamino we had it along time and we had to trade it cause that stuff basically ruined the paint on it and not having a garage and not driving it everytook the elements took a beaitng on it. but the specs are like a rust looking color

Quick Reply: Pretty upset/disappointed