Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I swap out for an 8.8 rear or go with the stock + 4.10 and t-lock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
PrettyPinkPonies

Default Should I swap out for an 8.8 rear or go with the stock + 4.10 and t-lock?

Howdy everyone, earlier this year I added a CAI, VMP tunes, and Mac performance dual exhaust to my 09 v6 Mustang and everything worked out great! I've been saving up for my next set of mods and I've got about 1k to spend.

I was debating on doing tires/springs/shocks first but I've decided to go with the gears/tlock instead .

I do not intended to ever add a turbo/charger or nos kit to this vehicle so I won't be throwing much more power to the rear than it already has. That being said, am I ok with keeping the stock rear axle and just putting in 4.10 gears and a t-lock differential OR should I swap out the entire rear to an 8.8?

I've read several threads where people tear up their rear axles with the 4.10 or 3.73 in the stock axles but most of those also have chargers/nos etc which I don't nor will ever have in this vehicle.

:edit: spelling

Last edited by PrettyPinkPonies; 08-30-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

A lot of people will tell you to do the swap, I don't agree 100%. The pro to the swap is obviously the added strength, but you also add weight which will hurt performance. If you aren't going to the track on a regular basis the the stock rear will hold up just fine, I have the 7.5 with a T-Lock and 410's and a supercharger that makes 330# of torque and have no problem. Shop around and see what will cost the least, total parts and labor and go that way. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by beaustang
A lot of people will tell you to do the swap, I don't agree 100%. The pro to the swap is obviously the added strength, but you also add weight which will hurt performance. If you aren't going to the track on a regular basis the the stock rear will hold up just fine, I have the 7.5 with a T-Lock and 410's and a supercharger that makes 330# of torque and have no problem. Shop around and see what will cost the least, total parts and labor and go that way. Good luck!
+1 - I have been running my 7.5 with t-lok and 3.73's for 3 years, and 1 of those years has been with a supercharger. I think you will be fine with the 7.5.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

7.5 hands down especially since you don't plan on using power adders, no need in spending all the uneccesary money on the 8.8.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
PrettyPinkPonies

Great! Thanks for the info everyone! That's exactly what I will do. Ford racing 4.10 gears with the tlock and new bearings/install kit. From what i see online it's about 500 for the parts and I'm going to guess about 400 for install?

Do ford dealerships usually do this kind of work? I called the one i bought my car from to get a quote on the parts through them but i didn't ask if they can do the install.

What do y'all recommend?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by PrettyPinkPonies
Great! Thanks for the info everyone! That's exactly what I will do. Ford racing 4.10 gears with the tlock and new bearings/install kit. From what i see online it's about 500 for the parts and I'm going to guess about 400 for install?

Do ford dealerships usually do this kind of work? I called the one i bought my car from to get a quote on the parts through them but i didn't ask if they can do the install.

What do y'all recommend?
Where in Texas are you?

For 3.73's, t-lok, parts, labor, etc... everything out the door for $700.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Save the money you would spend on gears, t-lok, install kit, and install

that's what $800 total?

instead buy a complete 8.8" take off with LSD and 4.10's pre-installed and do it yourself

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_88...ustang_v6.aspx

for $955 (if you add it to your cart, go through the process then cancel right at the end before payment they will email you back and drop the price 10%)

It's stronger and it's stock! Some companies make bad gear kits and other people can't always install them right.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by JCON
Save the money you would spend on gears, t-lok, install kit, and install

that's what $800 total?

instead buy a complete 8.8" take off with LSD and 4.10's pre-installed and do it yourself

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_88...ustang_v6.aspx

for $955 (if you add it to your cart, go through the process then cancel right at the end before payment they will email you back and drop the price 10%)

It's stronger and it's stock! Some companies make bad gear kits and other people can't always install them right.
yEP, THE 8.8 IS THE EASY AND CHEAP WAY TO GO.
fricken caps lock
you might never get the new gears
set up right in your 7.5" rear end.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

How is it the cheapest way? It is not. As stated, I paid $700 bucks for 3.73's, t-lok, and I didn't have to do anything. Please explain how an 8.8 with 3.73's is cheaper than $700?

And $700 is the most anyone should pay for gears/t-lok install including parts, so where did $800 come from?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
How is it the cheapest way? It is not. As stated, I paid $700 bucks for 3.73's, t-lok, and I didn't have to do anything. Please explain how an 8.8 with 3.73's is cheaper than $700?

And $700 is the most anyone should pay for gears/t-lok install including parts, so where did $800 come from?

OK, try 2-7.5 gear installations. This was gearheads in Arlington Texas. First, install was $650 for gears(richmond) install + $400 for the Auburn LSD. Gears whined from the first mile. Gearheads said they would redo them for $175. So, I when out and purchased OEM ford 3.73 gears for $250. after that install, gears still whined and it was louder than before. long story short both times the pinion bearing failed due to install preload. I took it to a third party they opened the diff and found the bearing in pieces. Tried to file a CC claim to get the $175 back and Gearhead lied saying i gave them used gears.

PS Gearheads was a recommended shop from several forums. purchased a 3.55 8.8 from Roush for $250 and it been perfect for 15k miles.

Quick Reply: Should I swap out for an 8.8 rear or go with the stock + 4.10 and t-lock?