Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I'm not so sure that I would grasp the concept "in depth" about variable valve timing if the best pro around was to explain it to me.
What I'm sure about though, is that I'm not alone in this boat.
So getting that from a Mag, good luck.

Why do you guys think that there are so few good tuners??
Yep.
That is a very true point. VVT, especially when you mix in not just variable phasing in relation to crank, but also variable valve lift (not yet available even on the Coyote or even the 2011-2012 Shelby GT500) requires higher mathematics to calculate. Variable fluid flow (air CFM) as far as air flow goes dependent on crank RPM is just the first step. But automotive engineers already know this curve and the bottleneck is always the head, namely the intake and exhaust valves being the biggest offenders in not flowing efficiently to get that desired volumetric efficiency for the given cylinder displacement.

And of course, juggling variable cam phasing in relation to each other (valve overlaps) and with the crank (advancing & retarding in relation to the crank), independently now with the Coyote, will take nothing short of a concerted effort from engineers specialized in automotive engine fluid flow as well as mechanical considering the cams and all.

But hey, if someone would break it down in simple terms without going into calculations, which no doubt will go into some advanced calculus, and at the very least write about the concepts and what these engineers shoot for, that is educational info that I have not yet seen in any car mag.

They can use simple representative curves to represent air flow in relation to RPM and cam angle phasing curves in relation to RPM, and when variable valve lift one day becomes available in a 'Stang, valve lift curves, again in relation to RPM, the curves themselves tell a much broader story than just words.

Just like how a dyno graph with torque curves and resulting HP curves tell a much more accurate picture than just typing max HP & max torque, so too would these other curves tell a ton of info.

All someone has to do is just give it a shot, stay away from calculations, and use the curves as graphical representations of what is happening.
I just want the mags to try to give that a shot instead of just shelving it altogether and assuming "We are all stupid and won't get it."
Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Really too bad about Modified Mustangs. That mag was nothing but our cars. Then it turned into nothing but classic fords. I'm not even sure if it is in print anymore. They used to feature realisitic cars and useful how to articles.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
Than what are you posting on this thread for? I mean if it's not that deep for you and all.

And why are you yelling at just me? Obviously JIM and Biceps agree with me. You gonna yell at them too or what?
I posted on the thread to see exactly how many you have read.
As for yelling... was not what I meant.
I just thought you were kind of whining calling all the mags useless when
there are some good mags out there.

I did take your reply to me as a bit insulting, but that may have been my fault. I was not trying to yell or be rude so if I came across that way I apologize.

Keep trying different mags. You should find one you like and hopefully you will.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I'd wager you could pretty well grasp vvt pascal if you did some looking into it.
I don't know guys.
I'm not saying you're wrong and me being a smart @ss in the process.
I feel like the regular Mustang enthusiast and reader would be more inclined to grasp a "how to" on swapping springs with pictures than something immaterial like equations on tunes etc...
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I understand what you mean, and yeah, there have been articles in the past about simple bolt-ons such as changing out rear ends and rebuilding suspensions.

But even those articles are too far an few in between.
Speaking about bolt-on how-to articles, what I really want to see is how-to articles on rebuilding trannies. Do it like a series fashion when for a whole year, each month, the mag has an article on how to rebuild a specific tranny. And there are more than a dozen popular trannies to choose from. For example, Tremec has a T5, a T56, a TR6060, and more. One month can be dedicated to rebuilding a T56 one month, and include what parts to buy to make it bullet proof, and what the proper procedures are to installing those (including the correct order of adding the parts in sequence, to what clearances the gear teeth lashes need to be, and down to what torque the bolts need to be tightened to, and so forth). This way, even a first time re-builder will have step by step instructions on how to do it right.
The next month, move on to another tranny, say a TR6060.

And when the manual trannies gets boring, then move on to something more fun, like rebuilding an automatic, like a 6R80.

For something more simple, they can go into more bolt-on procedures; such as how to install a bolt-on supercharger the proper way. Some SCs will require different procedures to do it properly, so the article can describe those nuances and say which procedure must be followed for which unit.

As far as something very simple, I have not yet seen an article on how to replace a Schrader type TPMS or a band type TPMS. This is a very simple thing to do and I bet even some of the tire shop newbies will learn a bit form such an article.
This will be a very short article, but to help put some educational info into it and add some meat to it, the car mag could describe just how TPMS works.
They can also go into dispelling the myth about nitrogen vs regular air (which already is more than 75% nitrogen to begin with!)

Last edited by JIM5.0; 09-06-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i don't know i like this article a few years back!

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...ted/index.html
Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I posted on the thread to see exactly how many you have read.
As for yelling... was not what I meant.
I just thought you were kind of whining calling all the mags useless when
there are some good mags out there.

I did take your reply to me as a bit insulting, but that may have been my fault. I was not trying to yell or be rude so if I came across that way I apologize.

Keep trying different mags. You should find one you like and hopefully you will.
Yeah I got a little upset about the whole crying and whinning deal because I was thinking "Man I'm not just bitching, I really have looked through a lot of these magazines and found them lacking in how to articles."

Take pat667 for instance. He's right, when Modified Mustangs first came out in 2005 / 2006 it was awesome and it focused on just the S197 cars. It's a joke now and yes pat they still are around. I think them and 5.0 are the same company but both mags are what someone correctly labled "show boat" magazines. Great eye candy but nothing helpful in them.

Anyway, blacksmoke don't sweat it man. People get into disagreements on these forums; that's just par for the course. Let's just forget it and drive on. Now I do like Mustang Monthly because they do have a lot of good how to articles but they have the problem of trying to cover the whole range of 45+ years of Mustangs. So it might be few and far between before a reader sees a how to article on his specific car. That was why Modified Mustangs was so great when they first came out.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by afixer
i don't know i like this article a few years back!

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...ted/index.html
Great article, except that it was about a yellow car
Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Great article, except that it was about a yellow car
Hey, I actually really like the yellow body on the S197. I wish they would bring it back.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
actually pretty much every topic you listed or would want has been covered for the 05-09. you have 10 so things arent quite the same and some things have not been covered but i have to disagree because you pick up any mustang magazine and they all have 1 maybe 2 good how to articles for basic things.

Mustang Monthly always has great tech articles. check out the long list of great walk thrus then come back and tell me they dont do a good job

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/index.html

Mustang Monthly is a great magazine, especially if you are interested in a pertronix injection system instead of points, for your 66 mustang, LOL. However, the coverage of newer Mustangs was a little lacking and I had to let my subscription lapse.

The coverage of newer Mustangs in other magazines, I have to agree, is getting a little old and I'm also tired of seeing "this dude with too much money blew up his stock mustang and dropped in a thousand horsepower engine" articles.

I do enjoy seeing the cars with body mods and paint jobs, they are interesting to see from a styling stand point. Regardless of the $'s you have to spend on your own stang.
For example, the article with the "shell gas station" stang, now that car is a piece of art.

Quick Reply: Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!