Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!

All of the Mustang magazines are completely useless in my opinion. Why? They don't offer any information that actually helps the average mustang owner. Nothing. I don't know about the rest of you guys but personally I couldn't care less that some guy bought a Saleen or a GT500 and then added a bunch of go fast parts to it. Goody for him, how does that help me? Why do I care? I don't. And that's what all of these Mustang magazines are about, some high end or rare collectible Mustang that has been customized and costs far more money than the average reader will ever spend on their own Mustang. There's nothing wrong with having a feature here and there about such cars, but when that's all your magazine is about you are out of touch with your readers.

You want to publish a Mustang magazine that actually offers something worth while? How about magazines with a lot more "how to" articles. How to replace your brakes, how to replace your serpentine belt, how to actually install a Steeda tune and CAI step by step on both the GT and V6. There are a lot of things that Mustang owners with average means of income do to their cars that can be covered by a good step by step how to article. I personally got tired of seeing article after article about a GT500 with an aftermarket supercharger and a listing of other performance mods. That's nice, but it doesn't help me as a reader and it doesn't help 99% of other Mustang owners out there. Here's a thought, you wan't to put out an article that might actually be interesting to all of your readers and not just the Saleen crowd? How about a visit to the Mustang production plant and follow the production of a Mustang from the beginning.

Looking to replace the gears in your diff? Here's an article. Want to install better speakers in your doors and rear dash panel? Here's an article. Need tips on how to make your Mustang handle better? Here's an article. All of that is much more useful to the reader than reading a review about some guy from Dallas who customized his Saleen. I don't care!!! It's a nice Mustang but I'm not going to pay money to read about some other guys Mustang. Publish something that actually helps your readers!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Superbender
1st Gear Member

Tell us how you really feel
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

There are only so many things you can replace on a Mustang; the magazines would eventually run out of things to cover.

But I agree. I'm also kinda sick and tired of the same Douchy McDouche's SuperDuper Special Edition Shelbyleen Roush Mustang GT 9000®: The Ultimate Street Serial Rapist! page 46.

They should cover more parts benchmarks; more product comparisons. But we all know the magazine's sponsors products are somehow always going to come on top on the test...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

actually pretty much every topic you listed or would want has been covered for the 05-09. you have 10 so things arent quite the same and some things have not been covered but i have to disagree because you pick up any mustang magazine and they all have 1 maybe 2 good how to articles for basic things.

Mustang Monthly always has great tech articles. check out the long list of great walk thrus then come back and tell me they dont do a good job

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/index.html
Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea if all they did was how to articles they would be done in a year or too lol
but i agree i get kind of sick of it
they do need to do more product comparisons but then they would lose their sponsorships
Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Funny thing about Mustang Monthly, they used to cover Classic cars only and did a good job at it in HOW TOs.
When they started getting involved with the S197, I though "Jeez, here goes that magazine".
Glad I was wrong...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i've seen articles on:
LT headers comparison
effectiveness of only a tune on a stock GT
basic bolt ons
DS comparisons
SC installs
CAI comparisons
tire comparisons
testing a stock Mustang
appearance mods
axle back installs
suspension packages
etc.

i like seeing some high end stuff like engine swaps, getting into the 10's, blower swaps on a GT500 or Terminators.
i also like articles that are more for me like exhaust, intakes, bolt ons.
the magazines have all that.
i dont think they would sell many magazines if the cover read "Build your Mustang to 300+ HP"
we want to see big HP, big nimbers, low et's
we want to see a freak of a Mustang, not one thats on every corner
but they do also have articles for the every day geek off the street too.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You must not be reading alot of the mags or articles.
In just about EVERY magazine put out every month there are tech and how to articles.
And plenty of articles about everyday mustangs made into big power stangs... which is what modding mustangs is about.

And I dont mind them having one article in each session of a special addition and what a person did to it. Just in case you did not know... there are many special addition owners and they deserve to have info brought to them on how to improve their mustangs as well. THEY ARE READERS AS WELL.

They have articles for just about every reader in each mag.
You are simply bitching because they dont FILL the mag with articles ONLY for you.

Would you rather read on stock mustangs and how a person's driving habits were after stop lights turn green or something?

Sorry but I think you are just being a whiny baby looking
for something to bitch about.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-03-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Actually I have to give credit to Mustang Monthly, they are pretty good about having how to articles. It's a good magazine and about the only one I read. But take 5.0 for instance, nothing. Oh I'm sorry, the August issue had an article about bolt on's for the GT500. Yeah for the few guys with GT500's that are actually looking to make it faster? Whatever. The rest of the magazine is just one review after another about some guys modded out Mustang. It's a waste of my time. There's is too much of that stuff. So maybe I should have titled this post Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!! Except For MM. lol
Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

Sorry but I think you are just being a whiny baby looking
for something to bitch about.
I really couldn't care less what you think Blacksmoke. Yes I want to see more "how to" articles on "stock" mustangs. It's good to have how to articles about other things like superchargers and and turbochargers, but give the reader some how to stuff with respect to general maintenace issues and repairs as well.

Quick Reply: Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!