Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

RPMs dipping.. STILL!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Do you notice the shaking and pulsating happening when you turn the A/C on? And when you turn the A/C off, does the shaking/shuttering go away?

Also, how low are your RPM's dipping? Are they going from 750 down to 550?
Mine does that. Is it normal? I just feel a little vibrating and my RPMs drop to about 700 for half a second.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:34 AM
nvrblue13
1st Gear Member

i had the same issue in my 98 gt.. windows and everything. probably no relation bc of motor difference and yr difference but my throttle positioning sensor was shot. changed it and boom. no issues.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
kaihila
1st Gear Member

Do you notice the shaking and pulsating happening when you turn the A/C on? And when you turn the A/C off, does the shaking/shuttering go away?

Also, how low are your RPM's dipping? Are they going from 750 down to 550?

If I'm in drive, they will dip and the car will shutter when I turn the A/C on for the first time. If I turn it off, and put it back on, it hardly dips (that also happens when I'm in park)

They're dipping from 700 to 500.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
kaihila
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nvrblue13
i had the same issue in my 98 gt.. windows and everything. probably no relation bc of motor difference and yr difference but my throttle positioning sensor was shot. changed it and boom. no issues.
Excuse my ignorance, but is that a completely different part from the throttle body? Because the dealership I took it to on Tuesday supposedly replaced the TB and I still have RPM dips.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kaihila
If I'm in drive, they will dip and the car will shutter when I turn the A/C on for the first time. If I turn it off, and put it back on, it hardly dips (that also happens when I'm in park)

They're dipping from 700 to 500.

Weird. Have you had any exhaust work done to your car? Have you put duals on recently?

Earlier this year, I converted from a single Flow Master American Thunder axel back muffler (just like you have) to the FRPP dual exhaust set up.

That's when my issues began.

1. Car shudders when I come to a stop and the gear is in drive. ie, a stop light.

2. Car shudders when in reverse and letting idling rpm's carry car back.

3. Car shudders when I turn on the A/C, but when I turn it off, the shuttering goes away.

4. Idling RPM's in drive went from 750 down to 550.

5. And, if I slip it into neutral, all of this stops. No issues.

I bought the SCT Tuner from American Muscle and that fixed 99% of my problems. But the shuttering still happens when I turn on the A/C at idle when in drive (again, at a stop light). Seems to be the only symptom I have left over.

Wish I could help you more.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
kaihila
1st Gear Member

Weird. Have you had any exhaust work done to your car? Have you put duals on recently?

Earlier this year, I converted from a single Flow Master American Thunder axel back muffler (just like you have) to the FRPP dual exhaust set up.

That's when my issues began.

1. Car shudders when I come to a stop and the gear is in drive. ie, a stop light.

2. Car shudders when in reverse and letting idling rpm's carry car back.

3. Car shudders when I turn on the A/C, but when I turn it off, the shuttering goes away.

4. Idling RPM's in drive went from 750 down to 550.

5. And, if I slip it into neutral, all of this stops. No issues.

I bought the SCT Tuner from American Muscle and that fixed 99% of my problems. But the shuttering still happens when I turn on the A/C at idle when in drive (again, at a stop light). Seems to be the only symptom I have left over.

Wish I could help you more.
Thanks! I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.

I only have the axle back. I used to have a CAI & Tune. I took it off and went back to stock because I took it in to the dealership about this problem.

Mine shudders in reverse too! It also does it if I turn the wheel all the way left or right. Like while I parallel park into a tight spot.

I have the Diablo Sport tuner but I stopped using it obviously because the car is stock now. How did the tuner solve your problems?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kaihila
Thanks! I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.

I only have the axle back. I used to have a CAI & Tune. I took it off and went back to stock because I took it in to the dealership about this problem.

Mine shudders in reverse too! It also does it if I turn the wheel all the way left or right. Like while I parallel park into a tight spot.

I have the Diablo Sport tuner but I stopped using it obviously because the car is stock now. How did the tuner solve your problems?

Which CAI did you have?

I'm currently running the FRPP CAI, FRPP Dual Exhaust with GTB Mufflers, and the SCT 91 Performance tune.

Using the SCT Tuner you can up your idling rpm's if you want, and that solved nearly all of the problems. In fact, with the 91 race, it eliminates ALL of the symptoms. The performance tune idles a little bit lower, so I bumped up the pre-set idle just a bit, but didn't want to do it too much. This was approved safe by Bama Custom Tuning at AM.

Now, is this a permanent fix or a band-aid, that I don't know. LOL!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM
kaihila
1st Gear Member

Which CAI did you have?

I'm currently running the FRPP CAI, FRPP Dual Exhaust with GTB Mufflers, and the SCT 91 Performance tune.

Using the SCT Tuner you can up your idling rpm's if you want, and that solved nearly all of the problems. In fact, with the 91 race, it eliminates ALL of the symptoms. The performance tune idles a little bit lower, so I bumped up the pre-set idle just a bit, but didn't want to do it too much. This was approved safe by Bama Custom Tuning at AM.

Now, is this a permanent fix or a band-aid, that I don't know. LOL!

I had some no name crap CAI. I had the problem when I had the tune & CAI and also, when I took it off so I don't think that is the problem...