Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

convertible latch rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM
timk

Default convertible latch rattle

hi all. i have a 2010 convertible. the top latches at the windshield header are very noisy, naturally even more so over bumpy pavement. the top is very snug, with no wind noise issues or leaking.

it's winter now, so i'm sure i could just slice up some small bits of bicycle inner tube and slide them in to shut them up, but i would like a long-term solution.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Im guessin its still under warrenty, try taking it to the dealer and see what they say. If the dealer is near you that you bought it at and u got some free time, couldnt hurt to stop in.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
timk

ah, that's the kicker. it has 37k on it. anyway, i'd like to do this sort of thing myself, as spending time in a dealership is one of my least favorite things to do.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
tailwind

Had a similar problem on our 2006 and in taking the latches apart I found there are shims and I just took enough shims out to tighten things up. Also found that the small rollers on the latches were stuck so some oil and a little working the roller cured that. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM
timk

thank you, i will try that. seems simple enough!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

After I had the top replaced twice under warranty, mine started making a rattling noise going over bumps. What I found was the stiff section in the front of the top that kinda feels like stiff cardboard or plastic, if I put pressure upward on the passenger corner, the noise stops. Now the driver's side is doing it sometimes. Maybe its the same thing but it drives me crazy and I'm out of warranty. I keep thinking the top shop didn't do something else they were supposed to do.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

hi OP,

did you manage to figure out how to stop the rattle?

My 2010 V6 convertible seems to be having the same rattle as yours. Mine is coming from the driver side.

I would bring it in to the dealer because it is still ~30k miles, however its a big PITA because they don't work on cars on Saturdays (besides doing oil change).

Does anyone have the same rattling problem on the 2010 and up convertibles ?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
timk

i never did anything about it. once the weather warmed up, it was much quieter. you know how much noise your car seems to make when it's cold? not so much when it was warm. i still need to look into it, though.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 PM
ParkerSoCal

On my 08 the latches seemed to get loose with age. I had ticking noises, rattles, and I even thought one of my windows was rattling on large bumps. After trying many different things, this finally fixed it for me: Went to Lowe's and bought 3 packets of 2 ea rubber grommets (5/8x5/16). They're in the pull-out drawers in the hardware section. Stacked 3 grommets on each connecting post. Now everything is drastically tightened and almost no rattles! A total of $4 so it's worth a try. Not sure if the 10-14 year models are different. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails convertible latch rattle-img_0446.jpg   convertible latch rattle-img_0447.jpg   convertible latch rattle-img_0449.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Xtinestang2010

Default WD 40

Originally Posted by timk
hi all. i have a 2010 convertible. the top latches at the windshield header are very noisy, naturally even more so over bumpy pavement. the top is very snug, with no wind noise issues or leaking.

it's winter now, so i'm sure i could just slice up some small bits of bicycle inner tube and slide them in to shut them up, but i would like a long-term solution.

thanks in advance.
I kniw im years late to this post! But i was looking for a fix for this same issue and stumbled upon this thread, and WD40 on the latch handle joints did the trick! No squeeking or ticking anymore! Sorry im soooo late im new to this.

Quick Reply: convertible latch rattle