Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo VS X-charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I really like my Xcharger Xtreme, and am another one with a lot of miles on it. I put it on when I had 90,000 on the car - swapped it off another car that had put 20,000 on the Xcharger. I have 160,000 miles on the car now and the Xcharger has performed great.

What you are looking for out of the car though has a lot to do with which system to go with. The Xcharger Xtreme has put me in my goal of a 12 second convertible, and has proven to be reliable and consistent. And it is probably one of the easiest installation projects.

If your track goals are for a quicker car though, then the Powerhouse turbo is the route to take. That will give you very low 12's and into the 11's easily. I would stay away from the STS rear mount turbo though - that intake location concerns me and I haven't seen many of them around.
160,000 miles? How has your car help up through the miles? Mine has 76,000 now and I had worried about going F/I this late in the game. So far the water pump and rear brake pads have been my only repairs, except for maintenance.

After reading your comment I definitely see your point, the Powerhouse seems to be a much better design. I do like the fact that you can take it from 9 11 or 20 PSI be changing the springs. I hope to build an engine when it finally wears out, with the 4.3 stroker kit, heads, cams, etc. that will handle the 20PSI boost.

What im really looking for in a system is something that I can run on the factory engine set up, and rum with a built engine. The stroked built shortblocks are rated to handle 30PSI of boost, with the X-charger Im limited to the 11PSI, pretty much forever. The idea is to retire the stang to TOY status after its paid for. I dont want to dump $6K into a system that wont satisfy later needs. Though it looks like the X-charger holds up under the miles VERY well, im not sure how a turbo would.

I am still considering a Turbo, but thanks to you guys information the STS is out and the Powerhouse is in.

Maybe im stupid but I have heard enough laughs about the 4.0, its been a damn good engine for me and help up GREAT so far, I believe it has untapped power potential, with 12 possible with just F/I what is possible with a built engine that has F/I? With all the yap going on about the SS cameros 6.2 and the new 5.0 Mustang the litte 4.0 is forgotten, I admit when I say the new cars I wanted to trade mine so bad, but after thinking I will just build my car. I appreciate all the info you guys give and the interest you have, I admit I ask a lot of questions and thanks for answering. I also found loads of information around here on everything from fuel filters to head work. you guys rock.

P.S. sorry for the long post and Jim C, your vert is awesome.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 AM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

just keep in mind, with an x u can just put that on , get a tune and ur done, with a turbo, you need to have all the supporting mods put on before or at the same time. when you buy a turbo kit you end up buying way more parts than just that.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

+1 what all the other X guys said.

And for turbo, Powerhouse is the one.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Blue07V6
160,000 miles? How has your car help up through the miles? Mine has 76,000 now and I had worried about going F/I this late in the game. So far the water pump and rear brake pads have been my only repairs, except for maintenance.

P.S. sorry for the long post and Jim C, your vert is awesome.
Thanks,
The engine has held up very well. The only repairs I have had was a blown head gasket on the passenger side and that was before I put the nitrous on the car. Ford covered it under warranty with no questions about the other mods at that time (the CAI and they knew I had been at the track racing it). I had to rebuild the rear end (should have just gone with the 8.8 at that time) because I bent the pinion on the Richmond gears in the 7.5 when I started using the drag radials.

Since then only regular maintenance. Brakes, tires, shocks and struts replaced recently, change the transmission fluid/filter and I swap the plugs in April for the start of racing season.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

After reading your comment I definitely see your point, the Powerhouse seems to be a much better design. I do like the fact that you can take it from 9 11 or 20 PSI be changing the springs. I hope to build an engine when it finally wears out, with the 4.3 stroker kit, heads, cams, etc. that will handle the 20PSI boost.

What im really looking for in a system is something that I can run on the factory engine set up, and rum with a built engine. The stroked built shortblocks are rated to handle 30PSI of boost, with the X-charger Im limited to the 11PSI, pretty much forever. The idea is to retire the stang to TOY status after its paid for. I dont want to dump $6K into a system that wont satisfy later needs. Though it looks like the X-charger holds up under the miles VERY well, im not sure how a turbo would.
30PSI on a 4.0 block? Who fed you that line? No way in hell the 4.0 block will take that. Been a lot of blown up 4.0s even with better pistons and rods with less than 20PSI. 15PSI maybe with better rods and piston. Also nobody makes a stronger crank for the 4.0 so you are stuck with the stock crank which is pretty strong but when ground to a longer stroke cuts down on some of that strength. If you are power hungry, which it really sounds like you are, you should save your time and money and either get a GT for your base or do a 4.6 swap. Simple as that. If you just want a fun reliable 4.0 the X-Charger Xtreme will give you that.

By the way I have 130,000 miles on my 4.0 Mustang with 100,000 miles on the X-Charger.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
30PSI on a 4.0 block? Who fed you that line? No way in hell the 4.0 block will take that. Been a lot of blown up 4.0s even with better pistons and rods with less than 20PSI. 15PSI maybe with better rods and piston. Also nobody makes a stronger crank for the 4.0 so you are stuck with the stock crank which is pretty strong but when ground to a longer stroke cuts down on some of that strength. If you are power hungry, which it really sounds like you are, you should save your time and money and either get a GT for your base or do a 4.6 swap. Simple as that. If you just want a fun reliable 4.0 the X-Charger Xtreme will give you that.

By the way I have 130,000 miles on my 4.0 Mustang with 100,000 miles on the X-Charger.

20 PSI, I mis-remembered it. I found where I posted it when I found it but I cant find it again to save my life. So Im feeling pretty stupid right about now.

Sounds stupid I know but I really want to push the limits on the 4.0 and see what it has. I am starting to crash down to earth and see that I need to be a little more realistic, but from watching the some videos of turbo'ed ans supercharged 4.0s these cars can be pretty damn fast. The Bad Wolf won agaist a Corvette (the holy grail of Chevy guys) I like my 4.0, the point is making myself realize its limits.

What I lack in intelligence I make up for in enthusiasm..............
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

20 PSI, I mis-remembered it. I found where I posted it when I found it but I cant find it again to save my life. So Im feeling pretty stupid right about now.

Sounds stupid I know but I really want to push the limits on the 4.0 and see what it has. I am starting to crash down to earth and see that I need to be a little more realistic, but from watching the some videos of turbo'ed ans supercharged 4.0s these cars can be pretty damn fast. The Bad Wolf won agaist a Corvette (the holy grail of Chevy guys) I like my 4.0, the point is making myself realize its limits.

What I lack in intelligence I make up for in enthusiasm..............
You should be able to get 400RWH or slightly more reliably. Anything more and the 4.0 is definitely living on borrowed time. Everybody, and I mean everybody, that has pushed further has blown it up. Bad Wolf (Jenna) is somewhere around 380RWHP but she has also been very methodic in getting to that point reliably taking small steps all the way after watching a bunch of other guys blow up their motors and move on too V8s. Her best run to date has been around 12.1 and she will be into the high 11s next season. The best non spraying X-Charger Xtreem with a rich canned tune has his 12.6. So either way they a both approaching the reliable limits of the 4.0.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 12-19-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

I have seen 2 builds that got to 430, and the other to 440 RWHP, anything over that has destroyed itself. I did hear of a guy that reached 505 RWHP with his 4.0, which went to hell shortly after (totally annihilated) So around 430-440 seems to be the absoluted MAX with heads, cams, and boost, and im not sure how that would hold up inder abuse. 400 seems to be MAX with just boost.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I have seen 2 builds that got to 430, and the other to 440 RWHP, anything over that has destroyed itself. I did hear of a guy that reached 505 RWHP with his 4.0, which went to hell shortly after (totally annihilated) So around 430-440 seems to be the absoluted MAX with heads, cams, and boost, and im not sure how that would hold up inder abuse. 400 seems to be MAX with just boost.
When I see a post of how somebody has driven a turboed 4.0 Mustang 100,000 miles or more hitting the tracks, drag, open and autocross, with over 400rwhp then I will be a believer. But until then no way... Seen to many turbos blow up the 4.0 pushing the limits.

P.S.
Heads and cams can help get the power but have nothing to do with the engine holding together. That will be pistons, rods and ARP cylinder head studs which is about the only things you can do for the 4.0 too strengthen it. Also as stated before there are no aftermarket forged crankshafts available for it so you are stuck with the stock cast crankshaft which when ground for longer stroke, for those looking to get more power along that route, reduces it's strength somewhat also.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 12-20-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

I know that, I have come to the conclusion the best thing for me to do it go F/I with heads/cams and get a good tune that produces a healthy RWHP, 400horses at the rear wheels is plenty to have a LOT of fun with. Big boost is asking for problems, Sometimes I get carried away then crash down to reality and what will and wont work and what works best and what works poorly.

440RWHP was achieved with 14PSI of boost and an aggressive tune, but good aftermarket heads/cams and a 9PSI boost with a milder tune developing between 375-400 RWHP I have found is much healthier and still would be a blast on tracks and in the 1/4, and streetable. the SAFE limit on streetable power. Thanks guys for all the info.

I think my money would be better spent on Eibach suspension, ETC, things that will make for a better handling car, not in building an engine that risks its life everytime it makes it down the strip.

Im impressed with the Powerhouse turbo @ 9PSI, $6300 installed with Dyno testing and a custom tune. But the X is still on my mind also because it has proven to be so reliable for so many of you guys.

Quick Reply: Turbo VS X-charger