Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

pypes x pipe vs ford racing x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

The Ford Racing parts fit perfectly. I have installed a few of the Ford Racing kits on a few cars without issues. If you do a little research you will find that the Pypes system generally have fitment issues especially where the mid pipe goes over the axle and even worse on lowered cars. Pypes headers however seem to fit perfectly but again are of little to no use on a N/A car. As stated buy others duals is not going to make much if any power on a N/A engine but is required on a F/I engine. With F/I the H will make a tad better low end power while the X will make just a bit more top end power. But we aren't talking about huge amount of difference here. H will sound a little lower the X which will sound a bit more European or raspy. I run the Ford Racing which comes with an X pipe with dual GTA's and get a lot of complements on the sound. Another nice feature of the Ford Racing kit is they do not drone at all.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
An H pipe is true duals. X or H, there are really only 1 difference. The H pipe is a bit louder and deeper and the X pipe is raspier. Some think that X pipes are better flowing, but I have heard people say the same about H pipes too. None of it matters on our little 4.0s though; they don't make enough power (even supercharged) for the difference between an X or H to be noticed.
Ummm . . . traditional "true duals" have no crossover between the two banks at all. Loudest and probably the harshest sounding.

What's called an "H-pipe" these days is what used to be called a crossover (back when there weren't any "X-pipes"). It's a little quieter and more mellow than true duals. H-pipes flow better than true duals at least when you've got mufflers behind the H because you do have some flow sharing.

An X-pipe does a better job of making the exhaust system share flow than an H does because there are no 90° turns for the exhaust gas to have to make, just a couple of gentle bends. This also kills off the low frequency rumble (which is a function of the "normal V8" firing order), so the "tone" moves up in pitch and gets "smoother" or "snarlier" (and slightly quieter). There is a little top end power to be had with this arrangement, since the closer the flows through your two mufflers get to being equal all the time, the overall backpressure drops a little.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2011 at 06:05 AM.