Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gears be grinding

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default gears be grinding

ok so ive been having a problem with gears grinding. this summer whenever i would be on the highway and would downshift to 3rd or 4th to pass someone quickly, if i shifted into 5th (not quickly but at a normal shifting rate) it grinds gears. if i take an extra second to shift, it doesnt do that. this all happened before i installed my short shifter. so when it got cold, my 1st shift into 3rd gear grinds if i shift normally. i have to do the same thing and wait a second in neutral before going into 3rd. this has only been happening when its cold tho. now that its warm again its not doing it. so my question is if this is my synchros? my clutch? not very od with transmissions haha
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
ok so ive been having a problem with gears grinding. this summer whenever i would be on the highway and would downshift to 3rd or 4th to pass someone quickly, if i shifted into 5th (not quickly but at a normal shifting rate) it grinds gears. if i take an extra second to shift, it doesnt do that. this all happened before i installed my short shifter. so when it got cold, my 1st shift into 3rd gear grinds if i shift normally. i have to do the same thing and wait a second in neutral before going into 3rd. this has only been happening when its cold tho. now that its warm again its not doing it. so my question is if this is my synchros? my clutch? not very od with transmissions haha
Mine does the same when its cold, and at the same time you have to remember its a poor quality T5... Mass production.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea i know but what im wondering if its a clutch or a synchro problem. bc if its a clutch problem my next mod will prob be a new clutch
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with the transmission. Millions of other people are getting 200K miles out of the thing with no problem.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

if gears are grinding when shifting normally then yes there is something somewhat wrong
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Sorry Tigercrazy, I wasn't referring to your specific transmission. I was addressing RedFire's assertion that just because the transmission is mass produced that it is low quality, which just isn't the case. It's actually a very good transmission.

As for your car, I couldn't say what is wrong. If it started after you put the short throw shifter on then I would say the problem could be there but you indicated it started before you put the shifter on. It could be a clutch issue. I would say take it to a shop if you can't figure out what is causing it and see if they can figure it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

mine does that too, seems normal.. when its cold out its just very temperamental. Mine has been doing that since I got it with 3k miles on it. I brought it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Drove other peoples V6's and they do it. Just an unrefined tranny.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
Sorry Tigercrazy, I wasn't referring to your specific transmission. I was addressing RedFire's assertion that just because the transmission is mass produced that it is low quality, which just isn't the case. It's actually a very good transmission.

As for your car, I couldn't say what is wrong. If it started after you put the short throw shifter on then I would say the problem could be there but you indicated it started before you put the shifter on. It could be a clutch issue. I would say take it to a shop if you can't figure out what is causing it and see if they can figure it out.
Lol its a good transmission? You must drive an automatic, the T5 is the most notchy transmission I've ever driven, it randomnly grinds when I shift, sometimes it won't even go into gear. You start throwing some bolt ons on your car and let me know how it holds up.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

alright good im not in the minority here then. one other question tho: is yalls clutch INSANELY heavy. like ppl press it in and cant comprehend how u are able to drive the thing. i just recently depressed the clutch in a gt of the same year and realized how heavy my clutch is comparatively. like 2 or 3 times heavier. anyone have this problem too?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Synchronizer for mine. Likely the same deal if yours does this when it's cold. Will just grind for me the first 1 or 2 times going into 3rd, when dead cold, when it's under 40 degrees out. Any other time it's fine. I've just not worried too much about it, as having the dealer take my transmission apart for this...Well, just likely not worth it.

Yeah, while this might last forever, I'd hardly consider it good, gotta agree with 2005Redfire6. It will often not let you stick a gear, and I've had a stick since I started driving. Gets it done, but could be faaar better.

As to pressure plate for the clutch being different in some, can't say. I'm used to mine, whatever it is, and haven't driven anyone else's so I'm used to it in either case.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-23-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: gears be grinding