Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best exhaust setup? True Duals? Cat back? What do you think?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
laith
1st Gear Member

Default Best exhaust setup? True Duals? Cat back? What do you think?

Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase an exhaust system for my stang. I have been looking at the Pypes true dual setup and the Magnaflow Dual Catback Exhaust and also the Newtake off true dual setup.

What exactly is the different between the pypes true dual setup and the NTO true dual setup?

Do you guys even think it is worth getting a complete setup from one of the above companies or just buying individual pieces and making my own exhaust dual setup.

Im looking for some power increases but I also want a good sound.

Let me know what you think.

TIA

- Dave
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by laith
What exactly is the different between the pypes true dual setup and the NTO true dual setup?
Nothing. It's the same setup.

Do you guys even think it is worth getting a complete setup from one of the above companies or just buying individual pieces and making my own exhaust dual setup.
Personally, I went with a pieced together setup on my old ride. Only cost me 195 total. Granted, I got an amazing deal and I did the install myself, but it was worth it. You can buy an H pipe off of a forum member (they come up occasionally), but you don't need the whole thing. You just need the half that comes after the catalytic converters. If you do end up getting a whole pipe, you'll have to cut it after the cats. I learned the hard way that the cats off of the V8 don't bolt up to the V6 engine correctly because of the rotation and O2 sensor positions. The H pipe sounds deeper and more muscle car-ier, but at the cost of a couple HP.

Alternatively, you could go with an X pipe. You get more HP ("more" as in 1-2) but the difference is negligible and you'll never notice it. The X produces a raspier sound. This means that it will sound more like a race car or Ferrari at high RPM. (Please note that this DOES NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES make your car a Ferrari or race car, nobody likes the *** that thinks it does. Do not be that guy.)

As far as pipes go, you can get a set at a junkyard or online from someone. Rockauto works as well.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Go through the catalog and select the GT instead of the V6 section. You're looking for the driver's side over-axle pipe.

Im looking for some power increases but I also want a good sound.
You won't gain much horsepower from converting your car to dual exhaust. It will, however, be a noticeable increase. Paired with a cold air intake (CAI) and a tune, it makes for a pretty fun little daily driver.

I'll write another post on sound if you'd like.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 AM
laith
1st Gear Member

That would be great about the sound. I really appreciate all the input. I am only trying to spend 400-500 tops. So the pypes / nto is the exact same setup but one just uses used parts?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Just get a GT takeoff system for half the price, or less from piecing it together (over-axle/mid pipe, mufflers, 2 oem muffler hangers, mid-pipe stock 2-1/2" band clamp). It'll sound ok and run better. As far as using a H or no crossover at all, that's a choice to be made; you do not have to have a H or X, and can run true duals all the way out with no problems, and it'll sound ok using stock GT mufflers. Do NOT use an X-pipe, it'll sound like crap.

I ran a true-duals system, cutting the stock v6 2-1/4" piping where it was angled in towards the Y, and put 45* bends in there to 2-1/2" pipe, and straight-coupled (using the stock/Ford midpipe band clamp couplers) to the mid-pipes. No crossover.
Here's a pic of what it looked like; I mistankingly used U clamps on the passenger side instead of the big band clamp as shown on the driver side.