Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Optima Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 AM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb Optima Battery question

I've got an '06 v6, stock, with Shaker 1000. The alternator died and took the battery with it. New 250 amp alternator is going in tomorrow, have an Optima 75-25 in my project truck I was thinking about swapping in...

Optima & Jegs websites say that our car wants a group 35 or 34R, but as far as I can tell the only difference is that the 75-25 is 2 pounds lighter and has both top and sidepost terminals... same CCA & reserve. Those websites also say I could use the 35 or 34 in the truck, but not the other way 'round. Any idea why? Any reason not to use it?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

200 views and no responses?

Thought y'all would discuss anything here, there are literally hundreds of threads on cold air intakes- which are basically just lengths of dryer vent and take 10 minutes to install.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well be patient man. No one is on yet. Everyone either has school or jobs, or both. Plus, some of us party on Friday, so we aren't on the forums then either. Don't worry though, it is like almost 3:30, people should be coming soon. I don't know how this got 200 views though.

I'd help, but I have no clue, and wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Nope, too tall and the top posts will touch the hood when it is closed.
A 35 or a 34R barely fits as is...

Search "optima size" in the forums S197 section.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...p-battery.html

Last edited by 157dB; 03-19-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 AM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

In case anyone cares, I put in the 75-25 to get home and it fit, but only barely and not safely enough to trust daily. I only felt comfortable doing it after picking up a plastic positive terminal cover. The battery case itself is the same height as the 34, but the posts extend slightly higher.

I bought an aftermarket battery tray for $5, since the Ford one has its "floor" raised about 1.25" above the metal mounting points. Now it fits perfectly with room to spare. Right now the tray is in with the two short stock screws, tomorrow I'm going to make a support to replace the longer section.

Disclaimer: YMMV, electricity is dangerous, don't blow yourself up, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Sungod067

Hey Mutry Ruffler, do you remember where you got your $5 battery tray. I have a yellow top Optima, and need a lower tray as well since the battery keeps hitting my hood. Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 AM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

Wow, blast from the past! Think the tray came from Autozone. I had to make a support leg for the side closer to the engine, did it out of aluminum bent into a "C" shape using a vise, bolted into the new tray and the factory mounting location. Over time, the aluminum bent and the battery started jiggling when I hit bumps- not enough to cause problems, but an annoying noise.

I've been meaning to do it over and will do the same thing only using steel bar stock and bending it into a squared-off "O" shape with overlaps on one side.

Eventually I'll relocate the battery to the trunk, but that's low priority.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM
05REDAUTO

Optima moved their manufacturing to Mexico, I would not use one.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM
traxiii

Originally Posted by 05REDAUTO
Optima moved their manufacturing to Mexico, I would not use one.
Yep, My last two Optima's lasted less than 2 years each. I had 3 of them, two in my F150 and one in my Mustang. I now have one in the F1, and will replace it with something else when it dies.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
PalmTrees

Originally Posted by musty ruffler
I've got an '06 v6, stock, with Shaker 1000. The alternator died and took the battery with it. New 250 amp alternator is going in tomorrow, have an Optima 75-25 in my project truck I was thinking about swapping in...

Optima & Jegs websites say that our car wants a group 35 or 34R, but as far as I can tell the only difference is that the 75-25 is 2 pounds lighter and has both top and sidepost terminals... same CCA & reserve. Those websites also say I could use the 35 or 34 in the truck, but not the other way 'round. Any idea why? Any reason not to use it?
My advice - Ditch the optima battery - This is not the first time I have heard of this or seen the exact same issue with charging systems and optima batteries in s197 v6 mustangs. I work on cars for a living. first saw this issue come up about 6 years ago.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery question