Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Removing Chrome Tail Light Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Question Removing Chrome Tail Light Trim

Hey guys,

Does anyone here have experience removing the Chrome Tail Light Trim that can be purchased on AM?

I was thinking of just using a heat gun to heat up the 3M tape, but I am unsure if it will damage the plastic used to make the tail lights.

Just recently received the CDC Deck Lid Panel and Black + Chrome = Bad Match IMO.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

If you take them off and anytihng is damaged u could paint them black and re-install them lol
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpormen
If you take them off and anytihng is damaged u could paint them black and re-install them lol
Nothing a little permanent black marker can't take care of, right? LOL!

If that happens, which I'm really going to try and not let happen, then it looks like I'll be buying myself a new set of smoked raxiom tail lights.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 AM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

I just pulled mine off, then i pulled off the excess glue that was left there, easy. I didnt heat them up. i did crack one of them, but i didnt care cause i wasn't going to re use them.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by geckoman1220
I just pulled mine off, then i pulled off the excess glue that was left there, easy. I didnt heat them up. i did crack one of them, but i didnt care cause i wasn't going to re use them.

Thanks for the reply. Did they come off pretty easy? It sounds like it. I don't care about cracking the trim...I won't be re-using them. Just don't want to damage the tail lights.

When I removed the V6 Sports Package spoiler....man, that thing was a b!tch to remove with all that 3M tape. Ended up cracking it in half, but no damage to the trunk. I'm hoping the tail light trim is easier.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

if it wont just pull off, you can cut the tape loose with some heavy monofiliment fishing line. the bad part is you cant use adhesive remover on the plastic taillights to remove the stickum cause it could melt the plastic. i used the alcohol pads to clean it before i installed the black trim, they seem like they are on there pretty good. maybe just rub most of the tape off with your fingers.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Thanks for the reply. Did they come off pretty easy? It sounds like it. I don't care about cracking the trim...I won't be re-using them. Just don't want to damage the tail lights.

When I removed the V6 Sports Package spoiler....man, that thing was a b!tch to remove with all that 3M tape. Ended up cracking it in half, but no damage to the trunk. I'm hoping the tail light trim is easier.
yeah it was easy, just started at a corner and pulled ... that simple.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
if it wont just pull off, you can cut the tape loose with some heavy monofiliment fishing line. the bad part is you cant use adhesive remover on the plastic taillights to remove the stickum cause it could melt the plastic. i used the alcohol pads to clean it before i installed the black trim, they seem like they are on there pretty good. maybe just rub most of the tape off with your fingers.

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I did not know that about the adhesive remover on the tail lights. Thank you so much for the heads up on that.

What deck lid panel do you have? Looks really good on your car.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by geckoman1220
yeah it was easy, just started at a corner and pulled ... that simple.
Nice. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Get the black trim to replace the chrome FTW.
Cover-up any defects left from the chrome.
BTW, a paste wax will remove the 3M foam tape
and not damage the plastic taillights...
Attached Thumbnails Removing Chrome Tail Light Trim-cdcpanel.jpg  

Quick Reply: Removing Chrome Tail Light Trim