Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! Rain water flooding passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Smart Junction Box
Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

ok so i need advice. last summer when it rained or when i washed the car, i was experiencing similar leak problems. Water would puddle up under the drivers feet as well as behind in the rear passenger feet area behind the driver seat. Took it into ford service and they told me i had a crack in the front firewall area where it was leaking. It cost$5 in parts for a liquid sealant but $540 in labor to disassemble everything and seal it. Well now im seeing this post about the TSB
08-26-7 that i didnt know about and now im beginning to wonder if the dealership ripped me off by not mentioning the recall and using the supposed crack as a reason to charge me. What do you think?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

when i got my car this was one of the first things i looked for and sure enough it was leaking. when i called the ford dealership up the road and asked about it they told me they had never heard of this problem before BUT had to replace a SJB in a mustang recently i had to talk to the service department manager and read out the letter of the TSB for him to even find it. needless to say i did it myself and saved money and stealership damage
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default where is it?

Originally Posted by locorider21
ok so i need advice. last summer when it rained or when i washed the car, i was experiencing similar leak problems. Water would puddle up under the drivers feet as well as behind in the rear passenger feet area behind the driver seat. Took it into ford service and they told me i had a crack in the front firewall area where it was leaking. It cost$5 in parts for a liquid sealant but $540 in labor to disassemble everything and seal it. Well now im seeing this post about the TSB
08-26-7 that i didnt know about and now im beginning to wonder if the dealership ripped me off by not mentioning the recall and using the supposed crack as a reason to charge me. What do you think?

This does not sound like all the rest of the leaks....but it does sound like my leak. I get water under the gas/brake pedals and I can't figure out where the hell it is coming from...it just "appears" on the floor..now I have the carpet pulled back and it's not even making the underpad wet. The water just appears magically on the floor.

Does anyone know where this seam/crack is located and what you have to disassemble to get to it?

Do you have a bill from the dealership that lists what they had to take apart???

Last edited by murry; 04-23-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-20-2014, 05:41 PM
randyzon

We have a 2011 GT that has been parked under a pine tree when not used most of the past 3 years. After another week of rain here in Seattle my wife got in the car this morning and there was a pool of water in the passenger floorboard.

I could see where it was dripping from behind the glove box. She dried that up and drove to the store. She could hear the water sloshing in turns.

There are two rubber duckbill valves about 2" X 3/4" wide located in the firewall on the engine side. One is under the battery box. The other is behind the left cylinder head. You can snake your hands around and grab them. They pull out easily. You do have to remove them because they are plugged with organic matter (like pine needles in our case).

In order to do the job you will need to pull the battery box and lift the clip for the hose that crosses the back of the left cylinder head. This gives you some room to move your hands and arms. I had my wife use a sprayer with a towel to stop the splash and flushed the compartment while I stuck my fingers in the holes to clear the garbage.

The duckbills are easy to reinstall. Just poke them in the holes and then pull just a little bit to seat them. Then reinstall everything. I think we got a couple of cups of pine needles out of there.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

randyzon, this thread is 3 years old.

What you are referring to is NOT the chronic, TSB-described leak that the 05's thru maybe 08 had which drips down the inside passenger kick panel and over the SJB, eventually causing all sorts of electrical gremlins. Yes, the 05's thru 10's DO also suffer from the plugged grommets which YOU describe, causing water to enter thru the cabin air filter. However, that leak is just a nuisance and does not result in electrical problems.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:26 PM
BinaryBlitz

Originally Posted by Nuke
randyzon, this thread is 3 years old.

What you are referring to is NOT the chronic, TSB-described leak that the 05's thru maybe 08 had which drips down the inside passenger kick panel and over the SJB, eventually causing all sorts of electrical gremlins. Yes, the 05's thru 10's DO also suffer from the plugged grommets which YOU describe, causing water to enter thru the cabin air filter. However, that leak is just a nuisance and does not result in electrical problems.
Sorry for the thread necromancy but this issue is still very relevant to mustang owners. I have to go through this about once every couple of years.

Luckily I have not had to feel the wrath of the TSB but I do chronically have flooding because the drain ports get clogged with debris. Unfortunately though, it is having the same effect as if it was the TSB.

When water would enter through the cabin air filter, it always trickles down the passenger side kick panel on my car, right over the SJB drenching it. To the cars credit though, that thing is a trooper. When it gets soaked, headlight issues, radio issues, wipers, locks, windows, etc the list goes on, don't work right or at all. After a few hours though or up to a day though after it is dry, works like nothing even happened. About 7 times I've done this song and dance.

So yeah, doesn't have to be the TSB issue to suffer the same fallout from it. Keep those plugs clean people!

By the way, does anyone know why we should keep those plugs in there, or even just cut a bigger hole so it's harder to clog?

TL;DR - TSB or drain plug issue, my SJB likes to take baths.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BinaryBlitz

By the way, does anyone know why we should keep those plugs in there, or even just cut a bigger hole so it's harder to clog?

TL;DR - TSB or drain plug issue, my SJB likes to take baths.
My weak excuse would be to keep carbon monoxide from entering the cabin
Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 AM
streetshark 5.0

Thank you guys the water leak is fixed {not by ford but goodyear} It was the duckbill valves on the firewall , or drain plugs! I have rusted seat tracks and worry about electrical and mode
Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Christie Gilliam

Default 2005 mustang leak

I know this is an old thread but if anyone can offer any assistance it would he greatly appreciated! We just bought this car a few weeks ago and there has been no leaks, no bad odors or anything. After a big rain, water is now puddled in the passenger side back floor and passenger front floor is wet. We've already checked the grommets, they are clean and clear, covered a quarter size hole beside the fuse panel under the glove box, checked to see if the leak was coming from the doors, which it isn't and checked the weather stripping. Any other places to check?

Quick Reply: HELP! Rain water flooding passenger side