Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Powerbolt

Default X-Charger Q's

Hello, I am looking to X-Charge my bone stock 2007 v6 and was looking for a little advice.

With the power that the supercharger will provide I am partially worried that my stock rear-end will not support the power for very long. Is it absolutely essential that I swap for an 8.8" Rear-end or is it possible that I can run it on the stock rear-end for awhile until I get the money to upgrade?

While on the subject of drive-train: While I don't think it's "necessary" to drop a larger transmission in to support the increase in horsepower, I'd like to get a general opinion on it as well.

Now, I had heard a couple people say on various sites about running forged internals when using a supercharger (Namely X-Charger). While I hope this is not the case, I don't have the know-how to rule it out officially. I thought that with it still burning just gas and air that internals wouldn't be a problem.

Seeing as this is my one and only car at the moment, I want to upgrade it's horsepower for a little fun here and there but nothing something that is going to suck the longevity out of the vehicle, because it is my daily driver.

Thanks again.

-Powerbolt
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Powerbolt

Also thanks 99GTvert for pointing me in the right direction. xD
Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

PM Torch_Vert

Hes our MA chapter president and was the first manual and vert to get x-charged

I'd say thats a good place to start
Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Just caught the thread. I'll be more than happy to answer whatever I can.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission.

If you have an auto, it's the same as the GT and can take it. The manual will hold up fine as long as you don't get too abusive. Mine is at about 36K on the X-Charger, and I haven't broken the transmission yet...

You definitely will want some type of limited slip differential unless you just want to shred one tire at a time. The 7.5" holds up pretty well (I'm still running my original, with a Detroit Truetrac installed) but a takeout 8.8" with a trak-lok can be had pretty reasonably.

The "X" is designed with the stock internals in mind, and there are owners with well over 100K mi on the clock that haven't had any issues with the engine.

I think that covers the main stuff you asked, if you think of anything else just post here (I'm sure some of the other X-Charger guys will chime in too)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Pretty much everything Paul said.

On stock internals here. I think most X guys are.

I went the 8.8 take-off route. 7.5 can be fine until you upgrade. If anything, the lack of limited slip probably will help you not to break your 7.5
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

I would do the 8.8, you're going to want it with the X. No need to worry about the internals with a safe tune. And as for the transmission, if it's manual, no need to change it til it breaks . If it's auto then you should be fine.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Powerbolt

Very helpful all, thank you. Yes mine is a 5-speed manual transmission which according to your suggestions is the weaker of the two. D: I'll probably just set the car up for the x-charger and install it later; rather than jumping the gun and running it under-equipped. Swapping out differentials will give me a chance to throw in some 3.73 gears though.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Powerbolt

Ah, one more question. I got to looking at some GT transmissions; would those be able to fit in my 2007 4.0?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Powerbolt
Ah, one more question. I got to looking at some GT transmissions; would those be able to fit in my 2007 4.0?
There's an adapter plate available to allow that swap
Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I have been running an X-Charger for 107,000 miles without issue with stock internals. My Mustang has 137,000 miles on it. I would highly recommend adding a UPR catch can to the passenger side of the PCV system when installing the X-Charger to prevent blow by oil from plugging up the intercooler.

The V6 7.5 differential will hold up OK as long as you don't drag race with sticky drag radials. Like Torch_Vert I am running a 7.5 with a Truetrac and girdle to beef it up some and for posi traction.

The GT TR3650 5-Speed will not bolt in with out an adapter kit. If you are interested in doing that swap eventually or even a GT500 TR6060 6-Speed PM me and I will fill you in on how to do that.

Quick Reply: X-Charger Q's