Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Common 4.0 engine issues to watch for

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 PM
pbfoot

The other problems I have had have been addressed by tsb's:
Clunk from right front strut mount,runaway idle rolling up to a stop in neutral with clutch out,bogging acceleration after long freeway run,and last but not least very hard to put fuel in.Some gas stations I just have to drive away from.Of course they were all reported before the warranty ran out but I guess either Ford did not want to fix it or the dealer.Oh well,still love it.Will fix all of these when the right parts car arrives in junkyard.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Not really any engine related problems so far. But good thread, I'm subscribing too.

I have noticed some glitchy tpms readings when its really cold/snowy outside, I don't know if the sensors were just dirty or something but they go away after a quick restart.

Also I have this annoying squeak when accelerating sometimes, I am assuming the bushings are at fault but just want to confirm with everyone else if it sounds like the TSB? (sorry for threadjack OP)
Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
pbfoot

Looked at TSB for 07,could be lower control arm bushing in front.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pbfoot
Looked at TSB for 07,could be lower control arm bushing in front.
Yeah, that was what I thought as well... Well, guess I know what I'm doing next weekend! Lol, anyone replaced those before? Difficulty level for you guys?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pbfoot
Seat back handle on rear seat side broken it about ten times.I always buy two.( I blame it on the kids)
These will permanently fix that issue:
http://www.mossmuscle.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=84287
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Oops... sorry, adding this line here: Not an engine issue but a very common one for early S197's

Good info folks. I'll add PARKING BRAKE CABLES... don't have the P/N but if you've an earlier S197, expect them to freeze / thaw over winter and eventually they will seize. The replacements have updated seals that prevent re-occurance of the problem.

Last edited by Boneman; 06-21-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
A/FXslotcarGene

Guys, I really need help here. I live in Central New Jersey and have a 2005 V6 Premium Coupe, it has 80,000 miles and I've had it since new. The extended warranty expired at 75,000 a few months ago. Here's the thing - under moderate to hard acceleration, through gears 1-2-3, I get what sounds to me like pinging or knocking, like it has a tank of bad gas, or the timing needs adjusting. Sunoco Ultra or octane boosters didn't help. Amongst a laundry list of other repairs and maintenance it needed this year, I'm being told that it needs to have both cams and all lifters and tensioners replaced! It's at Haldeman Ford in East Windsor, and at first they thought it was worn timing chain guides(about $1500), but then today they tell me, no, it's the cams and lifters, and this'll cost me $3000! This is nuts - whose car needs this after not quite 6 years and 80,000 miles? Earlier this year, it need brakes and an oil flush and fuel injection service. Not a biggie. At the same time though, I was getting a creaking sound in the front going over speed bumps or pulling into my driveway and a very distinct clunk in the front when I step on the brakes pulling into a parking spot or my driveway and even on the road. It needed lower control arms(??!!), outer tie rod end boots and a rear axle seal! WTF? 2,200 bucks! Is this common?
Thanks for any help or TSB's or advice.
-Gene
Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmmm sounds dubious indeed. I have 110K on my 2005 V-6 premium and have no such issue.... Here's what I recommend you try first. Get a can of SeaFoam and dump it in the fuel tank. Sometimes excess carbon can build up in the engine... in the head and atop the pistons... and quite effectively RAISE YOUR COMPRESSION.... This can lead to pinging. The seafoam will clean that out for you. It may not solve the issue... but then again, it just might.

Sorry to hear of these issues.... Good luck getting it ironed out.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Boneman, good call on the parking brake cable failing...
It comes as a complete assembly (not just the cable) and retails at $150.
Ford part# :
9R3Z2780B
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
A/FXslotcarGene

Default Any Ford techs on the board that can confirm this?

Boneman,
Thanks for that idea, I will try Seafoam today to get rid of the carbon. Where can I get it? At any major parts dealer? I actually had a guy tell me this yesterday about carbon build-up causing a higher compression.
BUUUT - I spent some time with the tech at Haldeman yesterday actually looking at my cams and rockers. They are definitely prematurely worn, and he says it's because of an oiling problem caused by using aftermarket oil filters instead of Ford Autolite filters. He told me that there is a difference in the chamber in an Autolite filter that allows the oil to reach up farther to the top of the engine, and this is what happens when aftermarket filters are used. Although I have had oil changes at Ford, I have also had them at Jiffy Lube and another garage we use. He showed me the tensioners that were also worn because of this. Are any of you out there who are Ford techs and can confirm this? He said he was going to change it to a higher viscosity oil and add one of the Lucas oil treatments to try and quiet the tapping until I decide what I'm going to do. He said I could probably drive it for many more years if I take care of it properly and use the Autolite filter.

Do any of you guys know about this? I had no idea that this was an issue, so I wanted to point this out so that some of you may be able to avoid this problem and get the right filters for the job. Now, I'm still going to get another opinion or two before I decide to have this work done.
Thanks,
Gene

Quick Reply: Common 4.0 engine issues to watch for