Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sold my Lotus Elise and DD to get V6 Mustang w/Perf Pack. Some Q's, thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Default Sold my Lotus Elise and DD to get V6 Mustang w/Perf Pack. Some Q's, thanks.

Long story, but the short version is a tale of British electronics combined with the closure of the local road course. So, I sold my Lotus Elise track car and my 2002 DD GTI.

I'm a track day instructor so I still want a car that's road course capable now and then, but also need to add in a healthy dose of reality since I'm combining a track car and DD car into one.

After pounding the internet, reading everything, the jury is in and I'll be ordering the 2012 with the performance package, base model otherwise ... the less things with wires, the better IMO.

I've concluded the V6 Mustang w/ Perf Pack is the best bang for the buck performer out there.

Some Q's ... I'm a 100% Ford newbie, so go easy on the flame thrower ;-)

What's this suspension like for DD use?

For Winter / snow, what are folks running?

If the speed limiter is defused, is there a known mph for which the drive shaft is rated to?

Is there an aftermarket option to add the the bit of aluminum wheel / dash trim that comes with the premium package that doesn't look 'tacked' on?

Anyone have this car/package near St Louis? I'd like to meet and take a look at in person, go for a ride with lunch at my expense, gift card, whatever ... I really need to see/ride in the car in person, there's none at dealerships here.

ALL - I'm undecided on colors ... if you have this car, please post up a pic. The build your own on Ford's site seems off and there's not a lot of quality pics I've found via googling.

Thanks ... I was on this forum awhile back when I was kicking the tires on this decision. Went with the Lotus, but now I'm back for the best all-around swiss army knife car out there. Better front / rear balance than the V8, lighter, and hey, any real road course driver only needs 300 HP, right ;-)
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

My thoughts exactly. I think the performance package is a great deal.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
My thoughts exactly. I think the performance package is a great deal.
Oh yeah.

250 views, 1 reply ... come on men, waste some time in here for me ;-)
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Heres mine: Red Candy with tan interior,, base model with stripe, spoiler, PP, and thats it.

Funny enough, I traded a 2007 GTI for mine

I have only had it a few weeks, so interested in the responses to this thread too.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Heres mine: Red Candy with tan interior,, base model with stripe, spoiler, PP, and thats it.

Funny enough, I traded a 2007 GTI for mine

I have only had it a few weeks, so interested in the responses to this thread too.
Nice! Yep, hopefully the knowledge base will start growing via this thread.

Really looking forward to feedback from road course addicts on the Perf Pack.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTI-Guy

Some Q's ... I'm a 100% Ford newbie, so go easy on the flame thrower ;-)

What's this suspension like for DD use?

For Winter / snow, what are folks running?

If the speed limiter is defused, is there a known mph for which the drive shaft is rated to?

Is there an aftermarket option to add the the bit of aluminum wheel / dash trim that comes with the premium package that doesn't look 'tacked' on?
I have a '12 V6 with the PP. DD wise the suspension on the PP is good. I live and work in a city and drive our horrible roads daily and its no issue. I haven't had it on a track yet so I can't speak to that aspect of it but for spirited daily driving I give it a thumbs up.
I just got it so I haven't had to figure out a situation for the snow yet, I will prob just get a beater.
I believe the drive shaft was rated right around the 114 that the engine was governed at and that was the reason for the limit. I could be wrong about this though. Could always pick up a one piece aluminum from shaft masters.
I have seen people selling off their aluminum trim kits on the forums and ebay. I am pretty sure there are also aftermarket kits as well but I don't know about their quality.
All in all I've been pretty happy with my Mustang so far, and I am coming an 06 GTI as well, the wife took that when her old car died so it's still around.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and as for color, I went with Kona blue. It's beautiful but a PITA to keep clean. There is a thread dedicated to photos of the color on here, I don't have a pic on my computer to post, sorry.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I have a 2000 V6 auto that I drove all winter in Wisconsin, I used General Tire Altimax tires all the way around in winter. It handled fine in the snow and ice. I preferred it over our front wheel drive Celica with Good Year Eagles. My 16 yr old son drove it last winter with no problems, btw it does not have ABS or traction control.
I drove a V6 performance package manual in the snow before I bought my 2012, it was pretty good even with the summer only 19" tires.

I bought my 2012 V6 with the 17" inch rims and all season tires, they are in the garage waiting for snow. I have 18" 255x45 Nittos on the car now. If the all season are too slick for winter, I'll toss them and go back to the Altimax.

The 2012 V6 is really tame up to 4,000 RPM, driving in the snow was easy, and I had no problem down shifting without locking up the rear. Weight balance is very good with the light V6 and the manual trans. The 2012s handle much much better than the 2000s!! I doubt it will corner like your Lotus, but I have 190,000 miles on the 2000, it looks and drives like new. I've never had a problem with the car and it still averages 27 mpg.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow

I bought my 2012 V6 with the 17" inch rims and all season tires, they are in the garage waiting for snow ... The 2012 V6 is really tame up to 4,000 RPM, driving in the snow was easy, and I had no problem down shifting without locking up the rear. Weight balance is very good with the light V6 and the manual trans.
Not a bad idea. Good to know skilled/careful driver can get by without resorting to Blizaks. Thanks for sharing the real world experience, and holler when you get a run through the fluffy stuff on the all seasons.

[QUOTE=TruMac;7606626]I have a '12 V6 with the PP. DD wise the suspension on the PP is good. I live and work in a city and drive our horrible roads daily and its no issue. I haven't had it on a track yet so I can't speak to that aspect of it but for spirited daily driving I give it a thumbs up. [/Q siUOTE] Perfect, thank you sir!

Originally Posted by TruMac
I believe the drive shaft was rated right around the 114 that the engine was governed at and that was the reason for the limit. I could be wrong about this though. Could always pick up a one piece aluminum from shaft masters.
I have seen people selling off their aluminum trim kits on the forums and ebay. I am pretty sure there are also aftermarket kits as well but I don't know about their quality.
Good to know I'll check it out.

Semper fi on the fellow GTI owners ... the original "giant killer."
Old 07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTI-Guy
and hey, any real road course driver only needs 300 HP, right ;-)
300 HP is more than enough for anyone with any real talent on a road coarse. Obviously if your quarter mileing you want more, but for a road coarse it should be plenty.

I have a 2010 Convertible which has the 4.0 PP and runs out with 210 HP. It is plenty peppy when called on but it's not my "Go Fast" anyway. The only problem I have noticed is the brakes heat up REAL quick, so you will probably want to upgrade those. I haven't driven one of the new V-6's and I know it has 305 HP at the crank, but I run my 1990 Corvette at the autocross and it's running 310 HP on the ground, which generates more than enough speed for fun and excitment.

Yet the stangr rides much smoother, and gets good gas mileage, so for a Daily Driver it makes a great ride. I'm a Die Hard Vetter as it has been my dream car since I was a little boy, but the Mustang is a tight second, I think you will fall in love quickly with your new Pony.

Quick Reply: Sold my Lotus Elise and DD to get V6 Mustang w/Perf Pack. Some Q's, thanks.