Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Powerhouse Turbo and X-Charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

So heres the next question in my mind while im continually re evaluating possible FI setups-

Im assuming that by design the turbo takes a little bit of time to spool up so power delivery isnt as instantaneous as it would be with the X. Does the higher numbers compensate for the lag?

A lil about my situation- I dont care about quarter mile times. I dont really care about top end speed. If I was going to race it would most likely be autocross. What does matter to me is being able to punch it and knock the wind out of myself. I want the acceleration

Also, why does it seem that superchargers are the FI method of choice? People have bad luck blowing motors with the turbos?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

hey guys i just go the car re painted with a new set of rims i dont have any pics on my computer but ill take some soon....

power wise is 400 rwhp with 430 tq at 10 psi and 50.50 mix on methanol/water injection

best time so far is 12.8 soon to be much better gotta better set of tires and a few more bolt ons

if i may put my .02 for FI systems the idea of a turbo having lag is something of the past and only really holds true to imports that have monster turbos (excluding diseal trucks) our cars (V6s and even most v8s) run small to mid size turbos well big enuff to produce 6-15 psi with virtually no lag.....and the little lag that is present helps to prevent spikes which is better for yours trans/motor....chargers generally are the FI of choice bc they are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to install but by no means moe powerful....in fact you will find that 90% of turbo set ups are much faster then a equally as powerful supercharger system. superchargers only shine when they can sit on some HUGE v8 motor were the power they leech to create boost/psi isnt as costly compared to our v6s who dont have near enuff power to begin with to power a supercharger. but hell even on a v8 even the best of superchargers (exp. kenne bell) are out done by a solid twin turbo kit (exp. twin turbo hellions)....

in the end turbos are better all day everyday imo!

Last edited by ward_spratlin; 08-30-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by stags
So heres the next question in my mind while im continually re evaluating possible FI setups-

Im assuming that by design the turbo takes a little bit of time to spool up so power delivery isnt as instantaneous as it would be with the X. Does the higher numbers compensate for the lag?

A lil about my situation- I dont care about quarter mile times. I dont really care about top end speed. If I was going to race it would most likely be autocross. What does matter to me is being able to punch it and knock the wind out of myself. I want the acceleration

Also, why does it seem that superchargers are the FI method of choice? People have bad luck blowing motors with the turbos?
Turbo and centri systems have to spool up, but the lag on a properly sized system isn't like it used to be. However, if you are looking at autocross then you probably want a roots type system like the Xcharger because of the torque curve - it jumps right up and flattens out where the turbo or centri will build up. They have more on the top end than the X, but the X has it where you will want it for autocross.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Turbo and centri systems have to spool up, but the lag on a properly sized system isn't like it used to be. However, if you are looking at autocross then you probably want a roots type system like the Xcharger because of the torque curve - it jumps right up and flattens out where the turbo or centri will build up. They have more on the top end than the X, but the X has it where you will want it for autocross.
+1

youll hit peak torque in the areas you need it. and i think if your not drag racing or comparing numbers with ppl all the time, the X would be for you. its cheaper than a turbo set up, way easier to install and probably tune, and you can keep your cats so your car wont sound super raspy and loud (iirc you have to get rid of the cats with the turbo set up)
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ward_spratlin
curious how much boost are u running on the x-charger
The X-Charger Xtreme runs around 10.5 psi +- max. When I get the MP1900 setup done I will be shooting for around 14psi.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

im curious what psi the guy running the 75 shot of nitrous is running boost wise
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

For autocross or open track the X Charger is the choice all day every day.