Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which F/I
Powerhouse turbo
11.76%
X charger (extreme)
55.88%
Vortec
26.47%
Procharger
0%
Other / nitrous / v8 swap (specify)
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
^^please see last option in his poll and well I suppose you could then apologize. Why am I in here, good question and I will reply with are you ever in the v8 sections. If you are never in the 8 sections I will apologize

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdg9gkmWsEA
Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

^i think the troll comment was geared more towards the whole "/trash on OPs idea and /trash on OPs dream car" thing
Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

hehe mongoose = win

and gif in signature is greatly appreciated
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Okay chief, when V-8 members actually contribute instead of just posting something that sounds negative towards our cars no one gets mad. The usual problem is a lot of V-8 members post with "waste of money just buy a GT". If most of us wanted a GT we would buy a GT, and not post threads like this. Hard to believe but we love our V6s just as much as you love your GT500. Anyway, sorry for thread jack OP

Last edited by Tanner05; 10-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

This is why I love bein a part of the sixxer crew
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
^^please see last option in his poll and well I suppose you could then apologize. Why am I in here, good question and I will reply with are you ever in the v8 sections. If you are never in the 8 sections I will apologize
No I'm not in the V8 section actually, check for yourself.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

X-Charger Xtreme

1. Proven reliability:
Like Jimc I have well over 100,000 miles on my X-Charger and changed the oil in the gear box as recommended by Eaton at around 100,000 miles. That's it, and it still runs like new! The other units require much more maintenance than that. So this has to be figured into the overall cost of ownership. The other units may cost less but will require an expensive rebuild or two long before the X-Charger does. Pay me now or pay me later.

2. Unequaled customer support:
Explore Express is a one family show and Dave Vanik, the owner, developed and personally supports each and every X-Charger kit he sells going far above the typical support you will find from a large corporation.

3. Low end torque:
The X-Charge has much more low end torque than the other available kits which is great on the street for that immediate getup and go and is much better for autocross and road courses. Currently the centrifugal kit produce a little more top end power but you aren't talking about a night and day difference. If you are into 1/4 mile drag racing they may have a slight advantage but even that gets debatable depending on which centrifugal kit/trim you are comparing. Jimc see has run 12.6 with his X-Charger in a heavy convertible with an automatic and a pig rich canned tune. To be fair a properly sized and tuned turbo can equal the X-Chager on low end torque but there have also been a lot more blown stock internal engines with turbos than all the other kits combined. Not that there haven't been those like TurboJ than so far have got one to hold together but you are also talking about pretty low mileage as compared to some of the X-Charges out there.

4. Ease of install:
Anybody with a little mechanical ability can self install an X-Charger kit in a day or two saving a lot of money. Some of the other kits aren't' to bad with a turbo being by far the most difficult but the X-Charger has proven to be the easiest to install and has the best line of support from Dave or other X-men.

5. Fun factor:
It is a blast to drive a boosted underdog sixxer that can beat most V8s you will come up against unless they also have boost. In my encounters that has been rare. Keeping that in mind there will always be somebody with a faster car then yours no matter what route you take, so it has to do more with how fast you want to go.

Note:
Now if you have V8 envy, as a lot of V6 owners do, and want that V8 sound and potential for even more power, then you will not be happy with anything you do with you V6 engine and should either do a V8 swap or simply trade for a GT. Even with a swap you would find GT purist that would still be in your face for not having a genuine GT. Just some food for thought if you are easily intimidated by that crowd. Personally I could care less what they think of my build. I get literally tons of compliments on my V6 all the time, especially out at the track where there are plenty of guys that know a lot about cars. Bottom line it is just a car, a Mustang of course, and it is fun to me to build it the way I like it regardless of what others think. Nothing like beating a brand new 5.0 with my supercharged / highly modified sixxer eight times in a row on the autocross track which a recently did against another very good driver.

Just my 2¢
Old 10-01-2011, 01:38 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
X-Charger Xtreme

1. Proven reliability:
Like Jimc I have well over 100,000 miles on my X-Charger and changed the oil in the gear box as recommended by Eaton at around 100,000 miles. That's it, and it still runs like new! The other units require much more maintenance than that. So this has to be figured into the overall cost of ownership. The other units may cost less but will require an expensive rebuild or two long before the X-Charger does. Pay me now or pay me later.

2. Unequaled customer support:
Explore Express is a one family show and Dave Vanik, the owner, developed and personally supports each and every X-Charger kit he sells going far above the typical support you will find from a large corporation.

3. Low end torque:
The X-Charge has much more low end torque than the other available kits which is great on the street for that immediate getup and go and is much better for autocross and road courses. Currently the centrifugal kit produce a little more top end power but you aren't talking about a night and day difference. If you are into 1/4 mile drag racing they may have a slight advantage but even that gets debatable depending on which centrifugal kit/trim you are comparing. Jimc see has run 12.6 with his X-Charger in a heavy convertible with an automatic and a pig rich canned tune. To be fair a properly sized and tuned turbo can equal the X-Chager on low end torque but there have also been a lot more blown stock internal engines with turbos than all the other kits combined. Not that there haven't been those like TurboJ than so far have got one to hold together but you are also talking about pretty low mileage as compared to some of the X-Charges out there.

4. Ease of install:
Anybody with a little mechanical ability can self install an X-Charger kit in a day or two saving a lot of money. Some of the other kits aren't' to bad with a turbo being by far the most difficult but the X-Charger has proven to be the easiest to install and has the best line of support from Dave or other X-men.

5. Fun factor:
It is a blast to drive a boosted underdog sixxer that can beat most V8s you will come up against unless they also have boost. In my encounters that has been rare. Keeping that in mind there will always be somebody with a faster car then yours no matter what route you take, so it has to do more with how fast you want to go.

Note:
Now if you have V8 envy, as a lot of V6 owners do, and want that V8 sound and potential for even more power, then you will not be happy with anything you do with you V6 engine and should either do a V8 swap or simply trade for a GT. Even with a swap you would find GT purist that would still be in your face for not having a genuine GT. Just some food for thought if you are easily intimidated by that crowd. Personally I could care less what they think of my build. I get literally tons of compliments on my V6 all the time, especially out at the track where there are plenty of guys that know a lot about cars. Bottom line it is just a car, a Mustang of course, and it is fun to me to build it the way I like it regardless of what others think. Nothing like beating a brand new 5.0 with my supercharged / highly modified sixxer eight times in a row on the autocross track which a recently did against another very good driver.

Just my 2¢
Now guys it couldn't have been laid out better then that!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

^^ THAT is why I want an X!

Although in fairness, as a college kid, ill prolly just snap up whatever I can find thats a good deal. Someone on the collective is asking 3k for an X hi po kit... seems a bit steep to me esp after hearing what Jim paid for his

Side note in favor of the V6 coupe over the V8, the V6 is 130 lbs lighter than the 2009 v8 coupe and 260 lbs lighter than the v8 vert, and you can make that difference bigger with an aluminum driveshaft a rear seat delete and some lightweight brace replacements from steeda. bottom line is with some suspension mods (I plan on Koni yellows, Steeda comps or sports, Strano sway bars and endlinks, and LCAs idk which brand yet, GT500 strut mounts, strano panhard bar) you will be able to outhandle almost any 2005-2009 gt out there because you have the weight advantage.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:40 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
This is why I love bein a part of the sixxer crew
Originally Posted by stags
Side note in favor of the V6 coupe over the V8, the V6 is 130 lbs lighter than the 2009 v8 coupe and 260 lbs lighter than the v8 vert, and you can make that difference bigger with an aluminum driveshaft a rear seat delete and some lightweight brace replacements from steeda. bottom line is with some suspension mods (I plan on Koni yellows, Steeda comps or sports, Strano sway bars and endlinks, and LCAs idk which brand yet, GT500 strut mounts, strano panhard bar) you will be able to outhandle almost any 2005-2009 gt out there because you have the weight advantage.
^i love this guy lol. i feel like handling rarely gets the credit it deserves

Quick Reply: Your favorite forced induction for our 4.0's