Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
unitedwestang
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010, Mustang, 4.0L Premium
Default 4.0L Valve Covers?

I'm starting to try and dress up the engine bay a bit. Trouble is I have a sterling gray metallic Mustang so really the only thing that matches are the sterling gray metallic and black. And everything is already black so ya...
Anyway I'm currently making my own custom intake manifold cover, and I was wondering if any place that sells valve covers for the 4.0? I haven't been able to find any so I guess our only option is to paint them? Any other engine bay dress ups y'all are doing?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
unitedwestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Yea man your only option really is to paint them.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/7573106-post3.html
Old 10-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
unitedwestang
1st Gear Member

Ya I saw your thread awhile back and yours look AMAZING. I've been having trouble finding any high temp paint that closely matches my color so what I was thinking about doing was buying a can of factory color spray paint and "sandwiching" it between some high temp primer and clear coat. Do you think that would work? Or do you foresee any possible problems with that? The reason I thought of it is because our engine bay panels are painted from the factory and they seem to hold up fine...granted I don't know if they use a different process/paint to paint the engine bay panels.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedwestang View Post
Ya I saw your thread awhile back and yours look AMAZING. I've been having trouble finding any high temp paint that closely matches my color so what I was thinking about doing was buying a can of factory color spray paint and "sandwiching" it between some high temp primer and clear coat. Do you think that would work? Or do you foresee any possible problems with that? The reason I thought of it is because our engine bay panels are painted from the factory and they seem to hold up fine...granted I don't know if they use a different process/paint to paint the engine bay panels.
Thanks man. Well I am no paint expert so I won't give you a yes or no I am sure someone will chime in. Also the valve covers are plastic and I am sure they get a lot hotter then the engine bay panels. Hmm have you checked online for a similar color? Mine aren't spot on either but close enough.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
unitedwestang
1st Gear Member

That's true, but ya I've checked all the major brands that I could think of (Rustoleum, Krylon, Duplicolor, VHT). Of their high temp paints their silvers/grays were either obviously light or obviously dark...
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang Coupe PP

Hmmm.... Thats something to think about. Im going to be taking everything apart in the next week to install an Xcharger, I should paint the valve covers while Im there.

To answer the question of whats the best paint to use...I have no idea. Try talking to an auto body supply place, they might be able to shed some light on it.

Go Mods: Xcharger Xtreme #201, Borla dual exhaust with X pipe & 4" tips, C&L cai w/ Bama tunes, 8.8" w/ 3.73s and Tlok, strut tower brace, lower A-frame brace

Need more mod money!
Joshspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang Pony

So I have a idea in my head about possibly buying a new set of oem valve covers from Ford and having them chrome plated. Do you think they would hold up?
Flowmaster Force II Catback, Topspeed Pro-1 Shorty Headers, JLT Intake, SCT X4 93 Tune, Eibach Sportlines, 15% Tint, Roush 3pc Spoiler, 3dCarbon Blackout panel, 3dCarbon 4pc Pony Kit, Kaenen 3" Cowl Hood, Painted Mirror Caps, Sequential Tails, Boss 338 Wheels, Federal 595EVO Tires

Mods waiting to be installed. BBK 70MM Throttlebody
The01Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 pony package mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshspony View Post
Hmmm.... Thats something to think about. Im going to be taking everything apart in the next week to install an Xcharger, I should paint the valve covers while Im there.

To answer the question of whats the best paint to use...I have no idea. Try talking to an auto body supply place, they might be able to shed some light on it.
did you buy a new xcharger? if so, what is your number? mine is 218, just wondering what number they are at nowadays

X-Charger #218, 8.8 w/3.73 rear, 4" aluminum driveshaft, and much more
jdphillips73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, 2006, 4.0l dress up, 40, 40l, 4ol, cover, covers, custom, ford, mustang, painted, v6, valve, valve covers