Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustangs in the winter...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

I have Michelin X-ice Xi2 dedicated for the inter and i put about 250lbs in the trunk when it snows. I have had 0 problems for 3 years so far. Use your head when driving, you should be in any car anyhow. I have driven a lot of front wheel drive cars that were 10 times worst in the snow than my mustang.
I give the snow tires a lot of credit.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Please be advised, the liquid chemicals the city sprays on
before the snow, are worse than the snow itself.
Watch for glossy pavement!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the blizzaks.. just got the LM-60's, best snow tire on the market.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by KenLenard
I'm new here so bear with me. I'll apologize in advance if this is a frequently-discussed topic. What does everyone do in the winter? I know that not everyone can put their car in storage all winter and I also realize that not everyone even experiences winter like some of us. My 1948 Mustang was brutal in snow. Wide, rear-wheel drive tires and a lighter-than-usual car (because of the light convertible top) made it especially dicey in the winter. I can try my best not to drive it but we now have three drivers in the family and there WILL be times when it has to be taken out. I have heard of people putting sandbags, kitty litter and anything heavy they can find to weigh down the car a little bit. Thoughts?
You can keep the gas tank full. That puts weight over the back tires too.

I garage my Vert and drive a Subaru.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

Mine has been in the last 4 winters in the St louis area. We have never put weight in the back. We live in an area with alot of hills and its manual tran. so we have some problems getting around in the larger snow falls, really more than an inch or 2 and we dont attempt to drive it.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

^^^^kinda funny as 1 or 2 inches here is a very light dusting lol
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 AM
JimC

Same here, an inch or two and no one even notices!

My brother lives in St. Louis and the first year he was there they had a "snow storm", about 2 inches. He drove into his office and thought it was really strange that there were so few cars on the road. After an hour he called his partners and asked where everyone was - they said "you made it to the office in all this snow?". He laughed and said - "give me over a foot and I might have a tough time driving but this is just a light dusting"
Old 12-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Clonefan94

Originally Posted by alkemist
I put weight in my trunk, currently 140 lbs of water softener salt (I can put it to use at the end of the season) and dedicated Michelin X-Ice 2 winter tires. Last year I didn't put weight in the trunk but I didn't drive much in the snow at all. The winter tires did just fine on their own.

You will just need to drive with your head, don't do anything brash and take it easy.
Be careful with that, I used to service reverse osmosis water machines that also had water softeners in them. Figured carrying the salt in the back of my truck (hard bed cover) would be a good idea for the winter. Well, as it turns out not all the bags are sealed that well and a little water did a lot of damage in rust when it mixed with the salt and I didn't notice it until spring.

I know my trunk in my 2012 seals up pretty well, but this is just a warning to be careful and make sure none of that salt gets out.

I'm looking forward to this winter going from a 4x4 f150 to the V6 mustang. Although I never realized how much I would hate driving in the snow, not from a handling standpoint as much as the idea of what that road salt is doing to my poor car.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I put 225/60 17" Blizzaks on my 2010 GT. Work great. We had 9" of snow in Denver last night. Drove 75 miles to the airport and back. No problems. A lot of people were sliding around. The Blizzaks made the car firmly planted. No added weight in the back either.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I'll echo the use of dedicated winter/snow rated tires. I've run the same set for several seasons on the wife's 2005 4.0L/auto vert, and having good tires makes all of the difference.

Quick Reply: Mustangs in the winter...