Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car chugging

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Car chugging

I started my car this morning and it died right after I started it and then it started the second time it started right up. It was shaking though. I let it warm up and it went away. I've driven the car the last threes Minnesota winters and it's never done this to me. Do I need a new battery or what's the deal?

Last edited by maxshuty; 01-12-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

Could also be the fuel your putting in. Go buy some of that fuel and injector cleaner see if that helps
Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I've always used 93 grade
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It sounds like a fuel issue but I suspect it was just a slug of moisture. If it happens again, try some HEET (or however it's spelled) or a similar product and be sure to refill with fuel from a quality source. May have been a bit of dirt. Being that it was momentary, whatever it was has passed.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Will heet mes up with my tune or anything? The x charger is going on tomorrow so I need to get this resolved. Ill see of it does it again tonight. Could it just have been from the cold weather? It's just weird if it's the cold because it's never done it previous years
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
JimC

How long since you changed the fuel filter?

It might be a good idea to change it anyway with the Xcharger installation if you have many miles on it. I change mine out every spring and usually in the fall (I missed it this year I just realized), but I put over 30,000 miles a year on the car and it sees a lot of weekend race duty as well from April through November.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I last changed the filter in the summer. I'll change it again soon - I don't think it sod be that as I haven't put more than 10k miles on it I dont think. Seeing a it's a cheap part and pretty easy go change I'll change it when I do my rear brakes probably in two weeks
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM
JimC

Could be just one of those gremlins that goes as quick as it came. I've had that chug happen on my car before in the cold. Could be some moisture - how did the car run later in the day - was it parked outside?

Since you are putting the Xcharger on I wouldn't add HEET - it could change your octane rating (I haven't looked at the label to see what is in it so that may not be an issue so I'm not sure what they use to dry out the moisture). You do have the car filled with premium to get ready for the Xcharger installation right? With the Xcharger install you will be putting new fuel injectors in so if you had a slightly dirty injector that won't be there after the install.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I would guess that it very possible that there was some water in the gas. I would try a different station. Also some new plugs when you install the xcharger
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Come to think of it - last time I filled up right before I did that I waded my car. Perhaps the heat change from the temp of the gas created some condensation in the tank. Hopefully it's gone I'll did out in ten minutes when I head to work.
@jimc yes, I previously had been running a 93 race tune do for the past year or two I've always used 93

Quick Reply: Car chugging