Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How's this for an exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Default How's this for an exhaust setup?

So I want to basically get as close to 300HP off bolt ons alone, (not including the X-Charger Supercharger) as that would come in my 3rd year in college. I'm in high school now, and want to get around 250HP.. I plan on buying a JLT Intake and CAI Tuner, but before I do that i'd like to get my exhaust done, as I know it's going to be a pain in the @$$.

By having catalyc converters, and I will be upgrading my spark plugs & wires, I should be able to pass smog right? The guy at the smog shop is an idiot and doesn't really check visuals, only the intake but I should be fine with smog? He said the higher the octane the better your smog is, so I plan on doing 91 Octane anyways once I get this setup? (and if I need to 93 octane for the smog)

Also how much horsepower gains am I looking at 15-20HP? And do you think this will sound awesome? Will it have a deep throaty sound to it?

So basically what I have in mind is:
Pacetter Long Tube Headers
Pypes Hi-Flow Cats
Pypes GT X Pipe
Pypes-Bomb GT Catback Exhaust

or..

Should I just save the $1,300 and keep saving for the GT? People are saying those 4.0's will run when modded? But how much money you think i'll need in engine work to make this thing run and sound good? Am I better off just saving and spending the money on the 05 4.6L V8 GT?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

LT's won't pass in CA. Period. There is no CARB approval for them and whoever checks your car will most likely spot the LT's.

You should also make sure your Intake has CARB approval.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
LT's won't pass in CA. Period. There is no CARB approval for them and whoever checks your car will most likely spot the LT's.

You should also make sure your Intake has CARB approval.
Well I have the stock intake, and the guy doesn't really check the headers, he just looks at the barcode sticker under the hood, and looks at the throttle body. my intake is stock..

Also, if I can't run LT headers, and they won't pass visual or smog? Which one. If i can pass smog awesome, the visual isn't really something im worried about. But if doesn't pass at all, I could always, just take everything out and re-install the exhaust system yes?

Would the JBA Cat4Ward's sound good with the exhaust setup and give me performance? JBA claims that there 50 state legal.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
2008 GT4ME

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
Well I have the stock intake, and the guy doesn't really check the headers, he just looks at the barcode sticker under the hood, and looks at the throttle body. my intake is stock..

Also, if I can't run LT headers, and they won't pass visual or smog? Which one. If i can pass smog awesome, the visual isn't really something im worried about. But if doesn't pass at all, I could always, just take everything out and re-install the exhaust system yes?

Would the JBA Cat4Ward's sound good with the exhaust setup and give me performance? JBA claims that there 50 state legal.
I would get the JBA shorty headers as they are CARB approved for your vehicle. If you get pulled over and you have LT's on your car you get a nice fine and sent to the smog ref. I know because it happened to me and it was not fun at all. I picked up 14rwhp with just the addition of the JBA shorties over the factory manifolds that I had to put on to get inspected.

Get the JBA shorties and you will be happy.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I'd like to see the dyno sheet on that 14 rwhp gain from shortys. I haven't heard of anyone gaining more than 2 or 3, I've got them and doubt there was any gain at all. Are you sure you didn't also have a different intake on there too?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

If youre just interested in making power. Id keep saving for the GT
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
So I want to basically get as close to 300HP off bolt ons alone
Not going to happen with the 4.0. You need F/I or nitrous to hit that mark
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

LTs will not pass inspection if he sees/hears them. You may be able to buy him off or have him look the other way, but barring that, stick with stock headers. The X pipe is fine, though personally I prefer H pipe's sound. Keep in mind that the pypes systems all have a lot of issues with alignment. Some get lucky, most don't, so be wary of that. Hi-flo cats are fine, but they may sound a bit ricey on the V6, especially with an X pipe. I'm sure the catback will probably be fine, though honestly I don't like the pype's tone.

As for exhaust gains, you won't see much. Even with the shorties, maybe 10whp, just enough to notice. It will sound mean though, and will breath better. Also I think you should do the CAI/tune first and make sure to run the 93 Race tune everywhere. Trust me, it kicks ***.

You will hear a lot of opinions about modding V6s, but in the end it's about what your goals are. The only way you will get faster then a stock 4.6 GT is a supercharger, and that is that. However, you can still throw some money at your engine/drivetrain and make the car a lot more fun to drive and a good enough little street racer. I would suggest that you do the CAI/tune, an 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, UDPs, performance tires, and some suspension mods. CAI/tune is 600 bucks, 8.8 rear is 800, UDPs vary, and don't pay less then 800 bucks total for your tires. Suspension mods = Swaybars, poly bushings, shocks/struts, lowering springs, etc. The V6 can be a fun car, but it will never be a drag strip hero.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
JimC

Have you heard a 4.0 with long tubes and high flow cats? I don't think you will like the sound - but until you hear it you won't know.

But no, that isn't going to get you near 300 rwhp naturally aspirated. The only bolt on that will get you to that level is a supercharger or nitrous, and nitrous is a track only power adder.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Have you heard a 4.0 with long tubes and high flow cats? I don't think you will like the sound - but until you hear it you won't know.

But no, that isn't going to get you near 300 rwhp naturally aspirated. The only bolt on that will get you to that level is a supercharger or nitrous, and nitrous is a track only power adder.
+1 the only LT setup on the V6 I have liked is that really old soundbite from the dude with cams, heads, a supercharger, and a ton of other mods.

Quick Reply: How's this for an exhaust setup?