Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New 2012 V6, any 'gotchas' to watch for?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
WhiteHorse3.7

Default New 2012 V6, any 'gotchas' to watch for?

Hey guys,

New member here to tap into your pool of knowledge I'm expecting a new Mustang at the dealer this week, a white V6 base manual trans with appearance and performance packages.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice or recommendations on things to watch out for? I've got a basic idea of the mods I want to do, but that's down the road a bit. What I'm asking is are there any issues common to these cars as they come off the lot, things I should watch out for? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and like to turn my own wrenches, so I'm not afraid of looking at things myself, but I usually turn wrenches on older stuff.

I'm just asking because I'm really looking forward to this car and I want to treat her right from day one

Thanks for your time guys,

Ryan
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteHorse3.7
Hey guys,

New member here to tap into your pool of knowledge I'm expecting a new Mustang at the dealer this week, a white V6 base manual trans with appearance and performance packages.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice or recommendations on things to watch out for? I've got a basic idea of the mods I want to do, but that's down the road a bit. What I'm asking is are there any issues common to these cars as they come off the lot, things I should watch out for? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and like to turn my own wrenches, so I'm not afraid of looking at things myself, but I usually turn wrenches on older stuff.

I'm just asking because I'm really looking forward to this car and I want to treat her right from day one

Thanks for your time guys,

Ryan
There have been reported issues out of that MT82 manual transmission.... if you do a search you'll see. But I don't think its wide spread.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
WhiteHorse3.7

Thanks Redfire,

Looked into the trans issues (apparently 2nd can be fussy when the car is cold). Time will tell if it will be an issue for me. The dealer I'm getting the car through has a deal in which they replace tires free for life IFF the car is maintained at that dealer, so I am rather on the fence regarding swapping trans fluids to AMSOIL or similar. The tires should last at least 30k though, so I may just go with the better fluids if there are any shifting issues.

Thanks for the info,

Ryan
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Not for nothing and it may be completely un-related.... but when I saw that they were putting Getrag trannies in the new 'Stangs I was deeply disturbed.... I had a Getrag 5-speed in my previous car, a Pontiac G5 GT and it was a real piece of trash.... Syncros blew at 37K miles.

Right about that time, GM was having issues getting parts (because they weren't paying their suppliers) and whilst the drivetrain was still under warranty, because I was past the initial 36K mile bumper to bumper, they refused to offer me a loaner or a rental....

It was a very ugly 28 days they had the damn car. I traded it (at a CONSIDERABLE loss) for the 'Stang 6 months later.

I'm watching the new 'Stangs with great interest as eventually, I would like to have the 3.7 but the manual transmission being the Getrag.... well, I'm in "wait and see" mode for sure.

Not saying there will be issues... but if at all it starts acting up, get it fixed PRONTO and absolutely wish you the best of luck with the new machine!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

How about the reported 2nd gear whine in the Manual Stangs?

Or the SKIP SHIFT SHEIT

Last edited by 157dB; 03-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Can't see that being an issue..... unless you like to roll long distances in 2nd?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
WhiteHorse3.7

Thanks for the responses and info guys. My car just ticked over 1000 miles tonight on the way home from work (I picked it up with 440 on the clock, I guess it saw a few test drives since it left the factory in Nov 2011...). I have looked, watched and listened for any issues, but the only thing I've noticed is my odometer increasing rapidly

Regarding skip-shift, gear whine, etc. I haven't heard or felt anything so far. That transmission feels like shaking hands with an old friend

We'll see how she does as the odometer keeps turning, but I have a feeling this car will be around for a while.

Ryan
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteHorse3.7
Thanks for the responses and info guys. My car just ticked over 1000 miles tonight on the way home from work (I picked it up with 440 on the clock, I guess it saw a few test drives since it left the factory in Nov 2011...). I have looked, watched and listened for any issues, but the only thing I've noticed is my odometer increasing rapidly

Regarding skip-shift, gear whine, etc. I haven't heard or felt anything so far. That transmission feels like shaking hands with an old friend

We'll see how she does as the odometer keeps turning, but I have a feeling this car will be around for a while.

Ryan
The best of luck for you! Going to mod it at all?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM
WhiteHorse3.7

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
The best of luck for you! Going to mod it at all?
Well, the more I drive it and look at it, the less I want to change, but there's surely severe punishment reserved for anyone who leaves a Mustang stock haha.

Likely my first "mod" will be a sealant/wax kit from Autogeek, followed by Magnaflow street axle-backs or similar, just to tame the "angry bees" at higher revs (although I'm starting to like my angry bees). A rear blackout panel is probably in there somewhere as well.

I've got a few pictures up in my garage, as well as the white S197 mustangs thread here

Cheers,
Ryan