Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My First Pony

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
SeabeeRich

Default My First Pony

Hey Guys New to the forum here. Names Rich. I recently purchased a 2007 mustang V-6 with a 5 speed as a primary daily driver. This also happens to be my first pony. Grew up a ford guy. Dad had a 87 LX that I helped him with sometimes, but that's his baby i didn't touch it too much. Im not an overly experienced mechanic, but I am fairly savvy. Ive done all types of preventative maintenance on my vehicles, brakes, fuel pumps, filters, head gaskets, exaust, stuff like that. Wont touch the Transmission though, haven't yet and its somewhat scary.

So the long and short of it is I love my car! Im basically coming here looking for some insight really. Its safe to say im sure someone out there has the same car, so what issues have you come across so far with it? Is there a ticking time bomb somewhere I should keep an eye out for?

The second half of this is that i am also looking to make it my own car now. Nothing major since i need to drive it daily and maintain reasonable fuel economy with it. I'm looking at replacing the restrictive exuast system on it now with a true dual one. Any tips on the best one as far as sound and performance? I'm also looking to do the intake and a tuner as well. Suggestions?

I'm a firm believer in the acronym K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) so at this stage in the game thats about all i intend on doing. Now later on in the game, forced induction, gears, new tranny, stuff like that is not out of the realm of possibility.... Unfortunatly for my wife, I think I may be opening a can of worms...lol

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back whenever. Take Care
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forums definitely go for the intake/tuner, I did and it really wakes the car up! As for the exhaust not sure if your just going for sound but if you also want to gain some more HP you should also think about going with Long tube headers. Also look at some exhaust options (Americanmuscle.com is a good place for this) then look them up on youtube to see how they sound on the car. See how you like them and pick what sounds best to you. I'am not an expert on these cars by any means but hopefully this helps and I'm sure a more knowledgeable guy will chime in as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Fantastic and welcome to the forum.

You should familiarize yourself with the passengers side water leak and check to see if the cowl drain holes are plugged with debris.

Starting on 03/27/2007 our ponies started having the front cross member brace installed. If yours is older than this, you might consider this upgrade. It's only $69.35 plus the 2 HN5 nuts

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partli...8-1594681.html

You can also get a window sticker for your pony here, just replace the VIN

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...HT82h575229344

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 03-21-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

One thing id deff say if you have a 5 speed is Amsoil ATF and a Saleen Short throw make the transmission 10x better.

CAIs do wonders, The stock exhaust is pretty good really, theres better cosmetics from duals but no real power gain unless you go FI. I love my single boomtube axelback.

One thing that I think really sets any Mustang apart is the hood. The plain stock hood is just too vanilla for me. I have a cervinis type iv, but I would have loved a shaker setup too.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to MF!
If you are looking for performance gain first, I would highly recommend a CAI/Custom tune combo from either American Muscle/Bama Tunes or Brenspeed. They are both very reputable companies and have great customer service. The custom tune really makes our 4.0's come to life! The throttle response is so much better!
In reference to dual exhaust, it adds only minimal performance gain, unless you go F/I (supercharger, turbo, etc.), then the duals really makes a difference. Dual exhaust definitely looks better and sounds a bit better than a single performance exhaust. You can either go with X pipe or H pipe. I've read that the H pipe sounds less raspy and the X pipe flows a bit better.

I would recommend going to Youtube and listen to all the different exhaust types and choose what you feel is fitting for you. The prices vary according to brand.

Here are few brands for you to look into on Youtube:
1. FRRP (Ford Racing)
2. SLP Loudmouths
3. Boomtubes
3. Pypes
4. MRT
5. Magnaflow
7. Flowmaster
6. Basanni

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard! '07s shouldn't generally be concerned with the water leak issue as that's mainly 05-06s that experienced that issue before it was addressed. I've had my car since 7/23/07 and the only problem I've ever had was a grounding wire coming out of contact causing my engine to die. Easy as tightening it back up to the body and running like new haha. These cars are pretty reliable unless you take the time to trash and abuse your ride.

With that said, if you buy the CAI/tunes from Americanmuscle, you CAN get better gas mileage but good luck. The tunes wake up the car and it's really difficult for most to keep their foot off the gas. Though gas prices are definitely making it easier for me haha

Dual exhaust won't get you much (if anything) in the HP department, but it definitely sounds good if done right on these cars.

Good luck not spending all of your money. This forum is chock full of good ideas and you'll be clutching to your money for dear life. Though I'm sure repercussions from your wife might keep you in check haha. Once the mod bug bites, it can bite hard.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard! '07s shouldn't generally be concerned with the water leak issue as that's mainly 05-06s that experienced that issue before it was addressed.
I didn't think Ford got serious about the water leak until the new style grommets were used

"HEAT SEALED GROMMETS WERE USED IN PRODUCTION STARTING WITH VEHICLES BUILT ON 9/4/2008"

TSB 08-26-07
http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/i...b/08-26-07.pdf

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 03-22-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the Forums! When the S197 Mustang was first introduced I knew I had to have one but I wanted to wait a few years so Ford could work out some of the kinks.
There is a wealth of information about our Mustangs on this forum. You can use the search feature to find posts on things you are most interested in.
Do post some pictures....we love to look at stangs!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM
SeabeeRich

Hey awesome guys I appreciate the info! I bought the car in December and frankly the crappy winters here in New England have not afforded me the opportunity to take some nice photos yet. Though I do have work off tomorrow and it is supposed to be nice..... The car has some scratches from normal wear and tear, and the occasional stray shopping cart, but im happy. Ill see if I can get some pics taken tomorrow and posted.

well Ive checked out some clips on American Muscle and youtube and i really like the baasani, Ford Racing, and Ive always had a soft spot for Magnaflow.( truck had em too.)

I think i'll go with the dual exhaust conversion on the principle that A, i can do it now in preparation for future modification if necessary, and B. its more cost effective to do it once, than to do axle back now, and conversion later. I am also leaning towards the JLT/ bama tuner combo from american Muscle.

Quick Reply: My First Pony