Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My new 2012 v6 Coupe

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Congrats!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Guys I live in TEXAS, we're one of 7 states I believe that raised their speed limits from 75 to 80mph on most rural highways.
First thing Im doing is replacing my LCA with Ford racing GT500 style LCA's. Then Im going to replace the springs next to lower it.
You are correct about the rural speed limit being 80 mph. We drove back from Cal, and east of El Paso to around Midland, it was SMOOOTH sailing. We needed it at 80 too. What a long boring drive.

Last edited by 03gt04mach1; 04-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mgk3961
Ok so the guy that said the handling was noticeably bad and the v6 needs suspension upgrades has no clue what hes talking about. The 2012 v6 mustang pulls .95g on the skidpad with factory tires. Just a few years ago most sports cars dreamed of that number, let alone a v6 mustang. I do agree with another poster that the body changes will be visual, not functional. You would never notice another 50 pounds of down force at 90 mph, if you ever even got to that speed.
I seriously doubt a base V6 does any of that. With the Performance Pack? Sure. But not the base.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Mgk3961

Replica,
Your statement "I seriously doubt" tells me that you dont know. Before trying to offer advice, do some research. Its readily available at many internet sites.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Mgk3961

From Car&Driver's website---> "But we can’t fault the big-league numbers: a 152-foot stop from 70 mph and a neck-straining 0.95 g around the skidpad, both of which slightly better the 2011 GT’s and approach those of far more expensive stuff. We also didn’t notice any fade from the stock brakes, which should hold up fairly well even if you plan to hit the track regularly. (Did we just suggest frequent track use of a V-6 Mustang? I think we did.)"
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

@Mgk3961
That test car (and Im sure other reviewers had similar test vehicles) was with the Performance package V6, not the base however both have the same engine. I was planning on purchasing the Ford racing's V6 suspension pack soon along with some AMR 19"s from A.M. and I chose to order a set of 3.55's from A.M. they're on sale this month!

This car isnt my daily driver, its more a weekend cruiser and I do plan on occasion doing some autocrossing.

However not on this post but I have seen on others some people kinda look down on the V6 mustang, I find that ridiculous. This has to be one of the most high performance engines Ive seen in stock form from Ford and aside from the powerplant, there's little difference between a V6 coupe and a base GT. I bought a V6 mustang because I wanted a combination of performance and fuel economy. I also like going up and over the speed limits sometimes, and who hasnt at one time or another? Why? because I think its a rush and that's why I bought a Mustang, so I can make changes & add parts so i can accomplish that goal.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mgk3961
From Car&Driver's website---> "But we can’t fault the big-league numbers: a 152-foot stop from 70 mph and a neck-straining 0.95 g around the skidpad, both of which slightly better the 2011 GT’s and approach those of far more expensive stuff. We also didn’t notice any fade from the stock brakes, which should hold up fairly well even if you plan to hit the track regularly. (Did we just suggest frequent track use of a V-6 Mustang? I think we did.)"
Pretty sure that's in reference to the PP V6.

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
@Mgk3961
That test car (and Im sure other reviewers had similar test vehicles) was with the Performance package V6, not the base however both have the same engine. I was planning on purchasing the Ford racing's V6 suspension pack soon along with some AMR 19"s from A.M. and I chose to order a set of 3.55's from A.M. they're on sale this month!
I've been looking over that FRPP suspension kit frequently. Once I have a couple spare bucks, I think I'll probably buy it.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
DAD300

HHmm...

I have a new 2012 V6, Auto as stock as could be. A little over 2,000 miles to date.

I just finished my first road trip and while I love the car, I came here looking for ideas to tighten up the suspension.

On a 100+ degree day, cruising at 80MPH+, I still averaged 28.1 miles per gallon for over 500 miles.

I've driven a lot of cars in my day, drag, sports and even an Indy car on the Indianapolis MSW.

My little pony car will chirp both tires on a flat, it'll whip a stock 2002 GT in the 1/4 mile (done it) and has been over 130 MPH.

The brakes are great, the handling is good at low speed, it's slow off the line, but more than makes up for it from a moving tromp!

The bad...it starts to raise and float noticeably at 120 and scares me off at 130.

While I hate rear spoilers, I think the high speed float will vastly improve with the rear springs and the front air dam/spoiler both lowered.

While I may change the rear gears, but it's hard to turn down the high gas mileage on the highway cruise.

Anyone successfully fixed this high speed float?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DAD300
HHmm...

I have a new 2012 V6, Auto as stock as could be. A little over 2,000 miles to date.

I just finished my first road trip and while I love the car, I came here looking for ideas to tighten up the suspension.

On a 100+ degree day, cruising at 80MPH+, I still averaged 28.1 miles per gallon for over 500 miles.

I've driven a lot of cars in my day, drag, sports and even an Indy car on the Indianapolis MSW.

My little pony car will chirp both tires on a flat, it'll whip a stock 2002 GT in the 1/4 mile (done it) and has been over 130 MPH.

The brakes are great, the handling is good at low speed, it's slow off the line, but more than makes up for it from a moving tromp!

The bad...it starts to raise and float noticeably at 120 and scares me off at 130.

While I hate rear spoilers, I think the high speed float will vastly improve with the rear springs and the front air dam/spoiler both lowered.

While I may change the rear gears, but it's hard to turn down the high gas mileage on the highway cruise.

Anyone successfully fixed this high speed float?
I lowered my car (V6/auto), and replaced the springs (Eibach Pro) and shocks (Koni STR-T). I still have the twitchiness at speed on crappy surface streets. Feels good on the freeway, though.

I haven't replaced any other suspension components - yet.

If you haven't already done it, change your steering to "Sport" mode (instructions for that are in your owner's manual). That will help a little.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

@jsimmonstx

Do you still have the stock tires? I havent replaced my springs, instead, after some research I only replaced my front springs with BR3Z-5310-M from my local Ford dealer. Cost only $120 for the pair. The V6 PP uses those springs on the front and the rears are the same, as on most current mustangs. I bought a set of dampeners from Roush from a 2012 GT and installed those.
Next step I was going to replace the sway bars and rear LCA's. I still have the stock tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new 2012 v6 Coupe