Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

v6 Drive Shaft Incident

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I dont know if I am the only person thinking this but I would have throw a fit on the shop. I cant imagine they needed to make a top speed run with the car like that. I understand it had a supercharger but a couple of gears would seem to be enough to dail it in. Not 140 in 4th I would have thrown a fit.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't be so quick to pay for a new drive shaft out of your pocket, not yet.

Does this professional know and understand the limits of the vehicle that was being tested? Did they also understand that it was modified with a pro charger?

Did the operator come off throttle too quickly causing the shaft to snap because yes, coming off throttle too quickly can cause that too.....
Old 06-09-2012, 08:58 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea i think past dyno blow-ups have happened bc they let off the throttle instead of easing off of it. also link to the vid lol
Old 06-09-2012, 09:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Thats a dyno mis-hap snap.

The shop should compensate you for the quick throttle lift at 5000/140.

Strapped to a dyno traction and real world 140MPH traction are two very
different things. Are the U-Joint retaining snap rings still in the yokes?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Germanstang12

Default drive shaft newbie

I'm so lost, I'm US military in Germany, I run my 2012 v-6 at the 110mph(autobahn) mark almost on a daily basis. I'm totally satisfied with the acceleration of my stock car, but wanted a "tune" for a bit more top end speed. From what I've been reading, If I remove the governor and exceed 135mph I can throw my drive shaft? Or is this something that happens when someone drag races up to the 135mph mark?(Max revs and torque all the way up)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

FWIW, I've had my ShaftMaster's 3.5" DS up to 135mph in 4th, and no problems! Pretty good quality
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Germanstang12
I'm so lost, I'm US military in Germany, I run my 2012 v-6 at the 110mph(autobahn) mark almost on a daily basis. I'm totally satisfied with the acceleration of my stock car, but wanted a "tune" for a bit more top end speed. From what I've been reading, If I remove the governor and exceed 135mph I can throw my drive shaft? Or is this something that happens when someone drag races up to the 135mph mark?(Max revs and torque all the way up)

Honestly, its hard to say at this point whats fact and whats fiction. All it takes on these forums is one or two people and something can snowball from there, which in the case of the drive shaft I think that's whats been happening.
I use my 2012 V6 for HPDE and never had or even heard of a DS issuse with any other mustanger's. I hit speeds around 110-115mph and Im fine with that. Drag racing is extremely hard on the drivetrain and these guys who do report a DS problem don't really tell us how they drive their cars and what mods were done. I too am completely satisfied with the power of these new V6's and stock they can hit 140 with a tune to disable or set the limiter at a higher speed.

What you could do is upgrade your suspension/wheels/tires. You could install a drive shaft safety loop for piece of mind or, invest in a one piece aluminum drive shaft.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Honestly, its hard to say at this point whats fact and whats fiction. All it takes on these forums is one or two people and something can snowball from there, which in the case of the drive shaft I think that's whats been happening.
I use my 2012 V6 for HPDE and never had or even heard of a DS issuse with any other mustanger's. I hit speeds around 110-115mph and Im fine with that. Drag racing is extremely hard on the drivetrain and these guys who do report a DS problem don't really tell us how they drive their cars and what mods were done. I too am completely satisfied with the power of these new V6's and stock they can hit 140 with a tune to disable or set the limiter at a higher speed.

What you could do is upgrade your suspension/wheels/tires. You could install a drive shaft safety loop for piece of mind or, invest in a one piece aluminum drive shaft.

in my older v6 ive done 120+ on the track a couple times, but after seeing some of the stories and vids on here it always worried me, which is why i went with an aluminum DS. honestly the performance gains + peace of mind was totally worth the money. too bad it took me a while to save up for one because i was spending all that money on track days lol
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I agree 100% with the gains a aluminum DS provides over stock, along with a piece of mind. A new shaft is on my ever growing list of wants....
Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

What kind of test was that? LOL.
Usually those break at the U-joints, not at the middle and it was mostly the 05/06 years.
If you don't have 500lbs of torque and above (which I doubt), some ain't right...

I bet you that the car was strapped down too hard, and doing that add a constant and hard load that you never experience going down the road (in other words, too much traction) regardless of the speed.
Actually, the faster you go the lighter it becomes on that rear.
I say the shop fugged up.

Quick Reply: v6 Drive Shaft Incident